Blueberry Bubblegum Dtw

• Thread starter Savage Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Finally took a couple lights off shots of the canopy:

Getting some big 'ol buds for sure, but no density to them, at least not yet. I remember feeling this way at the same stage the last time I ran this strain.

I did fuck up several things at once over the last couple weeks:

No out-take/air exchange (causing co2 buildup during the night period)

Canopy temps in the mid to high 80s

Trying out a watering cycle that pushed em in a vegetative direction.

I solved the first two (for the most part) by installing an old carbon filter/747cfm fan combo pulling the air out and depositing it into my workroom on the other side of the wall. This got canopy temps down to the 70s but occasionally it'll spike to 79 or even 80 still. I hate doing it but I've been turning the ballasts down to 75% when this happens a couple nights a week. These bulbs were cheap bullshit to start with and they're over a year old so it looks like they're putting out more heat while their light output has dropped. I'll get some hortilux 1ks for the next round I suppose.

As for the watering cycle I had bumped em up from 3 to 4 to 6 with the total volume varying based on runoff volume. This was stupid. The timing was piss poor as well because it was right after their peak nutrient consumption when they started wanting less, so I had a growing ec spike in the runoff I was trying to control passively by lowering the ec and increasing the irrigation slightly. Didn't work out so well and I ended up flushing em down to 0.8 ec about five days ago.

Currently feeding at 0.6-0.7 ec and back to 3x/day (approx 4oL/day for all 12, 20%ish runoff) and the runoff is still creeping up a bit, but no signs of burning so that's good I suppose.

I added in mkp @0.5g/gal to the initial ratio but watering the mix down to 0.7ec.

I've ran this strain 9 weeks the past couple rounds but it came out a bit overdone, so this time I'll cut it at 8.5 weeks or so. Kind of confused, honestly as they're throwing layer upon layer of white pistils. I'll keep feeding them for another 3-4 days or so and then probably begin flushing. I reverse engineered the h16 finish (at least by what's written on the bottle) so it looks like I'll be flushing with highly diluted k2so4 (<100ppms).

This strain is a producer for sure but it's straight meat and potatoes, nothing really special. And it throws the occasional baby nanner (3 rounds in a row) so this is my last hurrah with it.

I'm I the process of getting my hands on a few different beans that I find interesting and while I figure them out it looks like I'll just run my purple blue magoo for the next round or two. It doesn't yield all that heavy, but it's straight fire and resilient as fuck and way more stable than this beefy mutant here. I think I'll be able to get its yield up by topping and bending it like crazy from early veg onward. Perhaps I'll post a pic of it in veg if I remember, but here's a lousy shot of it mid-flower a few rounds ago:

It produces relatively small but super dense buds that are basically straight resin. Only ever ran it with botanicare so I'm stoked to see how it does with the jacks.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Also some additional issues/oversight I forgot to mention:

Only two oscillating fans between the lights and canopy.

The hoods are cooled like this:
Outside>6" ducting>6"to8" reducer>8"wye>1 8"duct cooling two hoods, 1 cooling 1>wye>747cfm fan>carbon filter.

Ghetto rigged as all hell. Worked well when the temps outside were in the 30s-40s, not so much in the mid 50s-60s

This room is getting revamped before anything else goes in.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

"As long as I learn, I will make mistakes" - Beastie Boys

Looking good though. I see a splintering cola, forgot what thats called. It happens. First run with Jacks?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Well said.

This is my second go-round with jacks, first with this room setup the way it is. The cola looking like that is from all the fox tailing a couple weeks ago, now they're filling in.

Nice pull on the Beastie Boys.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Well said.

This is my second go-round with jacks, first with this room setup the way it is. The cola looking like that is from all the fox tailing a couple weeks ago, now they're filling in.

Nice pull on the Beastie Boys.
"Don't worry your mind when you give it your best
1, 2, 1, 2 this is just a test"

Jacks seems very powerful, very affordable, but the advanced class.

Like you, I tinker.

Since you tinker and read even more than me, can I strongly urge you to consider veg+bloom.

They're a 1 part, pH balanced, has everything and is dirt cheap. It works. Has absolutely everything.
Its what plants crave.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I've been known to tinker.

The jacks certainly is strong, and because of this demands quite a bit of my attention due to its ability to build up in coco overnight if I'm not on top of my irrigation cycles and relative ec. But it's a hell of a learning experience.

I've looked into veg+bloom before, and judging by who uses it and their testimonials it seems to be becoming a bit of an industry standard. The only thing that stopped me from ordering it when I switched from botanicare were some reports that people were having difficulty getting ahold of it in a timely fashion, but it seems that's been worked out.

I'm sure my mind would appreciate the break it would get using something simple. What formulation do you use for coco? The HD? Good results with just the 1 part or do you use the size and push?

Last edited:
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I've been known to tinker.

The jacks certainly is strong, and because of this demands quite a bit of my attention due to its ability to build up in coco overnight if I'm not on top of my irrigation cycles and relative ec. But it's a hell of a learning experience.

I've looked into veg+bloom before, and judging by who uses it and their testimonials it seems to be becoming a bit of an industry standard. The only thing that stopped me from ordering it when I switched from botanicare were some reports that people were having difficulty getting ahold of it in a timely fashion, but it seems that's been worked out.

I'm sure my mind would appreciate the break it would get using something simple. What formulation do you use for coco? The HD? Good results with just the 1 part or do you use the size and push?
There's so much else to tinker with in my opinion. I want simple feeding.

It's totally easy to get orders quickly. @Smokey503ski is a cool dude and gets good vendor discounts too.

They moved locations and had a shithead working for them evidently. She got canned. Problems solved.

The version that did best for me was HD. I mistakenly put in Dirty and used rain water; plants were upset.

Since I reclaim dehuey and rainwater both, and am in coco, I'm going with RO Soft this time.

I want max calcium always. Always. NftG taught me calcium is extremely helpful.

Just my 2 cents. I still advocate for SLF100 as a bonus enzyme, but v+b has enzymes already. And they're seriously cool guys. Call em.

I use +Life but so far haven't done the foliar, though I bought it too. And the bloom booster I also started before I ran out of cash and base nutes last round. I went back to GH Lucas formula and regret it.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Word.

you have an excellent point about keeping nutrition simple and on point so other factors can be toyed with. I'm thinking irrigation cycles and vpd would be a lot more fun to play with than npk ratios and such.

I need to tabulate total irrigation volume for this cycle and see if I can get my hands on enough v+b to cover a test run.

Looks like I'll save enough loot running the jacks to install the necessary improvements for a consistent (and controllable) environment for the room.

But damn I've got like 15lbs of calnit, 45lbs of Epsom, and a good 10-15 lbs of jacks (not to mention a few lbs of powdered fulvic acid). But I suppose worst case scenario I'll run it for veg as the jacks requires much less tinkering in that scenario.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I wonder if a Jacks V+B would work together?
Might be able to make it work and stretch out both nutrients.
1/3 Jacks 2/3 v+b?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

It'd be cool to plug that into cannastats and see what the numbers look like.

I could definitely use the calnit and Epsom to charge fresh coco.

Edit: do you know the gauranteed analysis of the vb hd smokey?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

cool. Thanks.

The math makes sense to at least give it a try. I'll dm you.

Last edited:
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Word.

you have an excellent point about keeping nutrition simple and on point so other factors can be toyed with. I'm thinking irrigation cycles and vpd would be a lot more fun to play with than npk ratios and such.

I need to tabulate total irrigation volume for this cycle and see if I can get my hands on enough v+b to cover a test run.

Looks like I'll save enough loot running the jacks to install the necessary improvements for a consistent (and controllable) environment for the room.

But damn I've got like 15lbs of calnit, 45lbs of Epsom, and a good 10-15 lbs of jacks (not to mention a few lbs of powdered fulvic acid). But I suppose worst case scenario I'll run it for veg as the jacks requires much less tinkering in that scenario.
I'm on NO WAY an expert not am I doubting Jacks. I just know my own limitations.

I don't think vpd is even something to be tinkered nor played with. I think it's gravely important. To beat bad PM last round, I went hot and dry. Cost me a fortune. VPD is way more important to me than nutes.

For me, I have tons of GH and even samplers of several other lines around. I just prefer V+B.
PH stable. One part. Powder. I'm sick of buying expensive jugs of water with incomplete nutes in them.

Just my experience.

For me, I need to focus on those irrigation timings too like we talked about. I'm sick of pH and calcium and magnesium fucking nonsense. GH needs constant monitoring of pH. I hate it.

Just my state of the grow.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I'm in the same place. It's really about the time I spend playing around with my resevoirs, it's getting ridiculous.

From what I'm seeing, and for the record I am not very experienced with this, keeping rh at 70% until the flowers start really bulking up (with temps hovering in the high 70s to low 80s) allows for some truly explosive growth comparable if not better than adding supplemental co2. This combined with spreading the irrigations out has really caught my interest lately.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

The bitch though, then, is PM. Hateful stuff. And a real problem for filler damp regions. Ugh. But appreciate your points.
I always take your observations seriously.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

they're starting to dense up and gain some color, I've been diluting the Rez down as needed for the past few days, it'll be straight water by tomorrow or the next day. I'm thinking 8 days till chop but I'll see how the trichs look in the coming week.

nice big colas:

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Beginning of week 9:

Been flushing for about 5 days now, kept diluting the Rez down to nothing, and tried keeping the pots fairly dry but they were getting too dry for my liking so I just upped the timer so they're back to getting about 3.3l/day. Water comes out the tap @ 0.1 ec and runoff has been around 0.6ec so they still have some fertilizer to work through.

Found a bit of bud rot on two colas and chopped that shit right outta there. They were pretty damn crowded so I spent a couple hours defoliating, with a focus on getting all the junk out of the bottoms. More airflow=less rot. Keeping the rh @50 and the lights are turned down to 750w. As I said previously id prefer not to do this but at the moment the alternative is a canopy in the mid-80s so ill let it ride like this. Should be getting a mini split for the next round. I'm thinking 18k btu and heat worries will be a thing of the past.

I was gonna chop in a few days but they're looking like there's some time left to go: the trichs are almost all still clear and as can be seen below they're still pushing out white hairs.

Gonna try trimming dry for the first time this round. I hung dry the pieces I salvaged when chopping out the botrytis and the nose+stickiness of these buds when I trimmed them up today has me sold on the dry side of things.

Here's some shots:

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

So this room finished a few weeks ago, got a subpar but passable yield, about .65g/watt. Not my best yield but decent considering the amount of mitigating factors:

- Ancient (2yr.+) cheap bulbs
- Played around too much with irrigation cycles midway through
- Late flower heat issues (86+ degrees)
- poor air circulation leading to some bud rot (approx 1/4lb loss)
- pots too big for the veg time
- fungus gnats
- bulbs turned down to 600/750 (depending on need) last 2-3 weeks.

But! I noted these issues and am making the necessary improvements:

- Installed 18k btu mini split
- replaced old bulbs with fresh hortilux
- changing out the magnum xxxls for adjust a wings
- more veg time and smaller pots (2gal)
- additional fan for circulation (up to 3 from 2)
- fresh drip emitters (no more rings) picked up some self-flushing 1/2gph click tif emitters
- drain trays lower to floor, lights higher
- more stable strain
- and a switch to v+b HD

I'll post some pics of the improvements later once the work is done. Should be flipping tomorrow or the next day.

Top Bottom