Weird...my paper strips work just fine. Whatever floats your boat I suppose
IMG 20220204 151640383 HDR
IMG 20220131 061021373
IMG 20220131 104824135

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

TheMaverickFarmer

TheMaverickFarmer

That I can't say, I always use mine pretty fast! mine comes in sealed wrap and a plastic case. Don't buy those on Amazon/Ebay complete rip-off, your local hydro store will have some fresh ones for sure....and the Blue Lab pen:)
IMG 20220205 105325026 HDR

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That I can't say, I always use mine pretty fast! mine comes in sealed wrap and a plastic case. Don't buy those on Amazon/Ebay complete rip-off, your local hydro store will have some fresh ones for sure....and the Blue Lab pen:)View attachment 1213933
That's what I was thinking myself ... Easy to find actually. Bought new and fresh, it's a reliable work around for an expensive pH meter ... It's also cheap enough to have around to verify the accuracy of your pH meter readings ... and even the pH of your calibration solutions.

Edit: I use the pH drops to verify sometimes. Same thing and quite cheap.

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

Purchased mine in October last year and it's toast already. Called Bluelab today and they confirmed it was bad. I ran out an bought a new one and now this one is acting strange right out of the box. Displays UR when I turn it on. Anyone else having quality issues with BlueLab? This shit is getting expensive and it should work better than the cheap ones but my cheaper HM brand ph pen lasted 11 months.

Does anyone know of a higher quality product? Something that lasts more than 4 months? That's about $25/mo payment for a PH pen and as I sit here I have no way to measue my ph, I have to store this new one in storage solution for 24 hours to find out if it's going to work or keep with the UR in the display in which case it's going back. But what a fucking hassle. 2 hour drive to replace this, and 2 more to take it back. As you can see I have no confidence in this working since it's acting strange already.

What's up BLUELAB?
I don't fuck with pens they all seem to be garbage . I broke down and got a blue lab guardian a few years ago I've only recalibrated 3 times , never had any problems with it. But they aren't cheap

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've had my bluelab pen for over 7 years and it still works great.

A couple tips though,.
-Ordering it online you have no idea the condition of the probe. For all you know it's been sitting in a warehouse drying out for 3 years. Anytime I buy a ph pen I'll buy it in store and ask to inspect the probe first, it's gotta be wet and full of liquid. Any air bubble in it tells you it's been allowed to dry out too much.

-Before using it at all, soak the probe overnight in Kcl solution to fully hydrate the probe tip.

-ALWAYS use probe storage solution in the cap. If you don't, it dries out and dies. If you use anything besides Kcl it's not going to have the right osmotic balance and can over time damage the pen. In a pinch ph4 buffer can work until you get Kcl.

-ALWAYS store the pen upright. I hang mine on the wall.

-never use the pen to try and test RO or distilled water. It will pull minerals out of the probe and damage it over time.

Follow those basic guidelines and a bluelabs pen should last a long time.

S

SmokinnJoe19

-never use the pen to try and test RO or distilled water. It will pull minerals out of the probe and damage it over time.

I have a brother who don’t know shit about growing but one has a chemistry degree n a is a water treatment salesman/maintenance guy

never heard this from him and I’ve had probably 5 different $75-175 pens. Now have the same one he does

4B668475 3251 448E AF98 10A2E4704081
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Storage, shot glass full of storage solution sos as not to allow to dry out.
after every use flush tip with fresh water before placing back in storage solution.
From what I’ve gathered from my grow stores info if the pen drys out it can be restored.
Soak in ph probe storage solution for 24 hrs, rinse, calibrate and it should be good as new.
I have not had this issue…….yet!
I’ve used blue lab for many years and have bought 3-4 over that amount of time because of drying out and not knowing this info before hand.

S

SmokinnJoe19

Most companies sell new tips or probes as that can be done

I wouldn’t buy any pen that does not allow u to replace it

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Yes I'm still using my same batteries that came with mine and it's over a year old, but I treat it like a very important tool, don't drop it or throw it around, also bought mine straight from blue lab and filled out the warranty for it as soon as I got it. Love mine with the EC pen also.

T

Troglog

My input; my four month old BL ppm pen no longer working after battery change. Battery compartment needs to be opened and closed every time I want to turn it on. Contacted BL, even though bought new and registered immediately they said not covered bc bought off ebay. Nothing in their warranty statement says that. Last BL product for me…

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Um, I just bought this one hours ago from my hour away local Hydro store. I say they make junk. The HM brand lasted 11 months. Bluelab themselves even told me today, Jeana, they should be good for 18 months, so how are you guys getting 4 years out of them? They are obviously NOT the same product they used to be 4 years ago.
I bought one of the ones you can put directly into the soil about 18 months ago. It still works fine. But pH electrodes are delicate. If a box of them are dropped, several in the box can be fucked.

Oakton makes rugged probes. They don't stabilize nearly as fast as a Bluelab -- more like a minute -- but I've used them for work in the great outdoors for years.

O

okidokerjoker

Yes great warenty and customer service and they are based in the us

Top Bottom