Bokashi Questions

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

I have a series of questions about Bokashi.

1. Is there a "live" forum or expert where I can ask oddball questions? I've read many recipes and logs, etc. But I still have some questions.

2. Does the pH of the pre-compost material affect the output? If I use some stuff with a pH of 5.5, will that change after the Bokashi process?

3. I bought some Bokashi Bran. I can add some to a gallon of milk and create new serum? I'd seal it airtight and wait a week (?)

4. If I add, say, 3 gallons of serum (instead of bran) to a 55 gallon drum filled with finely chopped green compost, mix it well, seal it air-tight, and wait three months... will I have 55 gallons of good compost?

4b. Will it also be new Bokashi bran -- ready for normal Bokashi composting?

4c. Will worms eat it and make castings for me?

tj Wise

tj Wise

.... and please don't be "that guy" who explains that I shouldn't have asked those questions, lol. If you don't know that's fine -- there is no need to tell me I don't need to know anyway..... cuz I want to understand how things work in a "big picture" way.... thanks!

cannabeans

cannabeans

To answer your questions...
#1...Live forum??? Google it .. Maybe it exists but I dont know of one...
#2...Thats a good question.. I have never tested ph before of after making ferment...
#3...I would say NO..
#4...No... First you ferment with Bokashi(approx 2 weeks) the you mix with soil and let rest for 2 weeks...Then Done!
#4b... No.
#4c... No need for worms .

tj Wise

tj Wise

"The statement that the Bokashi mixture can be dug into the garden after fermenting for ten days shouldn’t be confused with the statement that the mixture is done. The on-line description of the bin refers to what’s produced in two weeks as “pre-compost” and warns that plant roots should not touch it directly for a week or two; only after a month is it fully incorporated into soil. (Like the anaerobic compost produced by digesters, Bokashi pre-compost is quite acidic when it first emerges from its bin.)"

"Some people feed pickled Bokashi material to their vermicomposting worms, apparently with no problems. Given how acidic the Bokashi process (and product!) are, and how sensitive worms can be to acidic environments, it may seem surprising that the worms do not react to fermented feedstock, but apparently it’s not a problem."

https://www.planetnatural.com/.../ind.../bokashi-composting/

cannabeans

cannabeans

Funny thing... I have been making and using bokashi for years and never knew that the process is extremely acidic.
Thanks for the info! @tj Wise

tj Wise

tj Wise

I still wonder about #4. I know most people want to make bran for future use, but if I can make gallons of serum for immediate use... even though that is not the standard recipe... seems like it would work. Unless the serum is transformed by drying on the bran(?)

Top Bottom