Books Thread-Great Books here!

• Thread starter LOCO__MOCO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LOCO__MOCO

Inspired by UKcheeseheads Films thread and Redog's thread on Oro not too mention the fact that I like reading. So what are some books that you really enjoyed reading or inspired you (doesn't necessarily have to be about ganja)???:smiley_joint:

Friedriech Nietschze: Human All Too Human

E

edelephant

Open Veins of Latin America: Eduardo Galleano
Down These Mean Streets: Piri Thomas
My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King: Reymundo Sanchez
The Trial: Frantz Kafka
Brothers Karamazov: Fyodor Doestoevsky
Black Skin, White Mask, Frantz Fanon
Fear & Trembling Soren Kierkegaard
The Shock Doctrine: Naomi Klein
Nausea: Jean Paul Sartre
Our Word is Our Weapon: Subcomandante Marcos
The Spook Who Sat By The Door: Sam Greenlee

E

edelephant

Snowblind: A Brief History in the Cocaine Trade
The Book of Chilam Balam of Chuyamel
Lies My Teacher Told Me
CHOMSKY
CHOMSKY
CHOMSKY
A Brief History of Time
God of Small Things
Invisble Man
Jorge Luis Borges
Phillip K. Dick
The Giving Tree
Shel Silverstein
Ecotopia
Khalil Gibran
The Diloggun: The Orishas, Proverbs, Sacrifices, and Prohibitions of Cuban Santeria: Ócha'ni Lele and Ocha'ni Lele
Fidel Castro: My Life: A Spoken Autobiography by Ignacio Ramonet and Fidel Castro (gracias fidelito!)
Lies Across America: What American Historic Sites Get Wrong by James W. Loewen
Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism by James W. Loewen

tiedye611

tiedye611

ed the giving tree is one of my fav book. rock on

check out the david icke guide to global conspiracy.

E

edelephant

A PEOPLES HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES, big up to my second godfather, HOWARD ZINN, you know i love you baby! you said the most important thing in my life

"to be hopeful in bad times, is not just foolishly romantic, it is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness, and if we do act in however small a way, we dont have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, AND TO LIVE NOW AS WE THINK HUMAN BEINGS SHOULD LIVE, IN DEFIANCE OF ALL THAT IS BAD AROUND US, is itself a marvelous victory!!!

R

redog

Papillon - Henri Charrière
Dry Guillotine - René Belbenoit
Low Level Hell - Hugh L. Mills
Riding the Edge - Dave Barr
Berserk: My Voyage to the Antarctic in a Twenty-Seven-Foot Sailboat -David Mercy
Across the Fence - John Stryker Meyer
Chickenhawk - Robert Mason
Little Big Man - Thomas Berger

So many more. . . . . .

K

kill-9

From Altar Boy to Hitman by Ramon Mendoza
1491 by Charles Mann
We Want Freedom by Mumia Abu-Jamal
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Chricton
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Mexico Profundo by Guillermo Bonfil Batalla
1984 by George Orwell

R

redog

From Altar Boy to Hitman by Ramon Mendoza
1492 by Charles Mann
We Want Freedom by Mumia Abu-Jamal
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Chricton
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Mexico Profundo by Guillermo Bonfil Batalla
1984 by George Orwell

Not into fiction much (although that's what I have to read now) but Michael Crichton had an amazing mind.
Everything I ever read of his was good stuff.
Think you spelled his name wrong.

S

StonedOwl

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams. Best books ever written. Anything written by Adams is gold.

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
Loco Moco, check these books out !! If, you are sick, please read !! "God's Way To Ultimate Health" by Dr. George H. Malkmus ,next: "The Color Code" by James A. Joseph, Ph.D.,Daniel A. Nadeau,M.D., and Annie Underwood , next:"The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife,C.N.,N.D. Hope these books will help out very many people !!! Enjoy them !! You can read all these books for free !! Inter-library loan at your library !! monkey5

K

kill-9

Not into fiction much (although that's what I have to read now) but Michael Crichton had an amazing mind.
Everything I ever read of his was good stuff.
Think you spelled his name wrong.

I'm not into much fiction either, I have maybe 6/7 fictional books. and yeah I know I spelled his name wrong.

T

Trichy

I with ya on the guys on the non-fiction reading... :bug
currently reading a great book.
Mesopotamia-The invention of the City
author-G. leick

G

greyfx

The Fruit Palace by Charles Nicholl, read the first chapter in a real old high times and went out and bought the book was amazing.

7rayos

Books... mmmh... like 'em raw
Like this Henri de Monfreid's "Hashish, a Smugglers Tale", autobiographical job by a hash smuggler, back in the first quarter of last century. Gooood.
Probably one of the best books i've ever read is "The Manuscript Found in Saragosse", by Jan Potocki. Anything by Jan Potocki is absolutely a readers experience. His "Travel to Empire of Morocco" is a very handy travel guide... written in the XVIII century
I like Paul Bowles travelling too, "Their Heads Are Green", for naming one.
Norman Mailer's "The Executioner's Song", try to put that book down.
Edelephant, this one's for you: "Biografía de un Cimarrón", by Miguel Barnet. Dunno if it's translated to english, but it should! A very raw account by the last of the rebelled slaves in Cuba at over 100 years old. He's got the most beautiful starting line i remember in a book "There are things in this life that I don't understand..."
Too many... so a last one: anything by Ryszard Kapuçinski.

L

luvinlife

The Giving Tree rocks!!!!
High Society-Ben Elton
The Great Gatsby- F Scott Fitzgerald
Heavier than Heaven
Go Ask Alice
Catcher in the Rye
Monster-Kody Scott
Alive-the south american rugby team that crashed in the Andes
The Outsiders- S.E Hinton
David Copperfield-Charles Dickens
anything JRR Tolkien
Fell into the Dan Brown books(davinci code,deception point,etc)laugh if ya want I like em
Bushworld-Maureen Dowd-I like anything that rips on Bush or that shows his real side! lol
Trainspotting
The Picture of Dorian Gray-Oscar Wilde
Man Books rock!!!!!!! Iguess we could all go on forever

I

indodoja

not necessarily a great book, but an interesting read is the undercover economist. one point it explains, is how companies often sell the same product at different prices for consumers with less or more disposable income.
confessions of an undercover hit man is awesome. a whistle blowing ex nsa and world bank man develops a concious and decides to explain how the usa has been practising economic colonialism in third world countries.
freakanomics explains, among other things, that :your child is safer in a house with a gun rather than a pool, crack dealers make less money on the corner than they would working at a mcdonalds, teachers are trained to cheat, and the corolation between rho versus way(?) and the decline in crime.
robert young pelton has written a series of books for the lonely traveller. the worlds most dangerous places is a travel guide through war torn countries. these same war torn countries are often a prime destination for drug tourist, hippies, and bohemians. his other books chronicle stories of survival in these countries.
the amok journal and the fifth dispatch are reference books for bizarre sexual practices, weapons of war, the sub culture, film.....just fucked up interesting things.
i wouldn't start from here is an interesting perspective of foreign politics, foreign conflicts, and foreign culture.

lets keep the book post alive...

S

StonedOwl

Just finished "The Ruins" by Scott Smith, A group of tourists trapped with a malicious, man eating plant. They made a movie about it about a year ago, so some of y'all may know it.

I love horror, the sicker the better. Scott Smith certainly delivers on that note.

I

indodoja

mortal fear by greg iles is a pretty sick book about serial murder.
clive barker is pretty sick. too bad he wants to be a teen fantasy author now.

M

masterwelder

American Prometheus

He is remembered as the father of the bomb. But the story of J. Robert Oppenheimer is more than how the world's most destructive weapon came to be. A new biography describes a complex, contradictory and at times mystical genius who defies easy labels. :mad0233:

Top Bottom