Books

• Thread starter Ooopsi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Yesterday I was lying in bed and couldn't sleep so I spend some time thinking about this and that, you know, these typical stoner-thoughts you get while blazed. And I was wondering about what is happening to literature. When I was a kid/teen, I was swallowing books like mad but around high school I quit reading for good. Too much to do besides reading and I couldn't really find lecture I thought to be worth reading.
Last year though, I picked up some books again and I want to start reading more again.
So, lying in bed, I was thinking about what books were really important in history. Books like 1984 or Brave New World, Animal Farm as classical examples. Fact is: some books are starting to get kind of banned in schools, a terrible thing and a scary thought to be honest IMHO. BURN HISTORY!!!
Today young people read the Hunger Games instead of Brave New World f.ex. even if they're miles apart I think. Not to say their crap, don't get me wrong, haven't read the H.G. so I can't judge...
Well, still being one of the younger users on this site, I was wondering what books you'd consider worth reading? I guess there's a lot of 'life-experienced' people with great knowledge in here and I just wanted to see what books you're reading? No matter what kind of books... Fun, fact, sci-fi, whatever.... books on growing...
Right now I'm reading 'The Grand Chessboard' written by Zbigniew Brzezinski (American primacy and geostrategic IMPERATIVES.... LOL?)
I'm still in the beginning but as a European I can say: this book is hard candy and I'm wondering if that book was written by a genius or a 'demon'... It's bad to read between the lines sometimes... ;)

G gnome

G gnome

U just named aome o my favorite books. If you like aldous huxley u should read "brave new world revisited " i wud also recommend Erich Fromm's " escape from freedom"

SmokyPockets

SmokyPockets

If you wanna read something and get really scared, get " Dark Money" by Jane Mayer. It's about the Koch brothers , the evil brothers behind the radical right, I'm only a chapter and a half in and it's the scariest info I have ever digested . These people have more power and money than some countries and are willing to do anything to keep it, lives of ordinary people do not matter.... It's fucked

SmokyPockets

SmokyPockets

Yep, I do know that ...
And thank you for blessing us with your input .

Last edited:
xavier7995

xavier7995

I am a Hemingway guy myself, For Whom the Bell Tolls is a great read. It is rather imperative that you drink a large glass of straight whiskey, smoke a cigar, and go outside while reading it. Kurt Vonnegut stuff is also great.

edit: everyone should read Reminiscence of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre (aka jesse livermoor).

Last edited:
yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Read a book ? Last book that I read was about 15 years ago. Plain and simple why, just do not have the time to any more. My reading time is the time I spend on the toilet. Most of the blame lies in the lap of this computer. Now if you count the time that I spend reading on here, it`s a different story.

dalai farma

dalai farma

Def check out Shantaram and the sequel, The Mountain Shadow. Written by Gregory David Roberts.

Top Bottom