"Bootleg Living Soil: The Gaia Green Edition"

• Thread starter Gorillachaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gorillachaz

I'm from the United States and can't access Gaia Green Living Soil. I've been working on creating a similar "pre-amended" soil mix, currently using a blend of 40% HP ProMix Mycorrhiza, 30% FoxFarm Happy Frog, 20% earthworm castings, and 444 (3 tablespoons per gallon). I plan on eliminating the Happy Frog from the mix.

Here’s my 2 questions for you:

I'm wondering whether I could add both 444 and 284 bloom to my original 30lb starting soil recipe for 6, 5 gallon plants. Then just go on as normal using only 444 until late veg, and then top dressing BOTH at 3 tbsp per gal during pre and mid-flowering, while also continuing to use main “pre amended” soil that contains both every time I pot up from the start.

Alternatively, rather than preammending with 284, I would be adding a variety of ingredients instead, for instance purchasing "Down To Earth" Alfalfa, Humic acid, Kelp, Oyster shell, etc., that include anything listed on the Gaia Green living soil bag ingredients. Excluding anything that is already in 444 or 284 bloom as to not cause excessive nutrients

What's your perspective on these approaches?

P.s. shout out to @mrcanucksgrowguide

Last edited:
S

SnoopingAsUsualI

You can try mixing the needed soil from what you have, adding nutes I guess

ddandurand

ddandurand

I'm in the united states and have access to this soil so it may just be your area, but I have a few grow shops around me.

But I ended up re amending my soil with earthworm castings, and gain green brand 444 and 284, the soil started out as ocean forest mixed with a local company super soil.

this run I'm using rabbit manure in place of worm castings.

I have yet to over-nute in an organic setting. But i would recommend, mixing it all up and letting it set for a few weeks. to start the break down process. I cant recall what this is called atm. but the book true living organics explains it pretty well.

all i can say is mix it together, give it a run, observe your plants and adjust on the next run. but from my experience if there is life in the pot and food to feed the life you plants will love it.

Good luck.

G

Gorillachaz

I'm in the united states and have access to this soil so it may just be your area, but I have a few grow shops around me.

But I ended up re amending my soil with earthworm castings, and gain green brand 444 and 284, the soil started out as ocean forest mixed with a local company super soil.

this run I'm using rabbit manure in place of worm castings.

I have yet to over-nute in an organic setting. But i would recommend, mixing it all up and letting it set for a few weeks. to start the break down process. I cant recall what this is called atm. but the book true living organics explains it pretty well.

all i can say is mix it together, give it a run, observe your plants and adjust on the next run. but from my experience if there is life in the pot and food to feed the life you plants will love it.

Good luck.
Gaia Green Living Soil in the USA? If you can link me the website / shop name I’d be all about that and it would save me a ton of effort. The problem is that apparently this soil is hard to move through customs from Canada into the US.

ddandurand

ddandurand

I will double check, i know i get there nutrients local, the living soil i may be mistaken on.

edit: well Just looked and sadly they have permanently closed recently. there is another shop in town too. I will check with them next time im in.

G

Gorillachaz

I will double check, i know i get there nutrients local, the living soil i may be mistaken on.

edit: well Just looked and sadly they have permanently closed recently. there is another shop in town too. I will check with them next time im in.
I appreciate your efforts but yes you may be mistaken because I am quite sure it’s nearly impossible to get in the US.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

i use gaia green from germination to harvest and i think you would still have to top dress monthly because it would break down to fast to last a whole grow

G

Gorillachaz

i use gaia green from germination to harvest and i think you would still have to top dress monthly because it would break down to fast to last a whole grow
The jist of my theory is would amending the soil with both 444 and 284 in my main 30lb mix be beneficial in regards to making a soil that is similar to Gaia Green living soil.

Gaia green living soil contains a variety of nutrients and minerals from their selection such as rock dust, oyster shell, kelp, humic acid, insect frass so I’ve also acquired some of those things as well.

I agree with your statement about having to top dress. My top dressing plan would remain the same, monthly adding 3tbsp per gal of soil. 444 during veg and then both 284 and 444 at flower. Would love to hear others thoughts on this recipe.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

I don't know I amend my soil to start out with 3 tbs per gallon of media with a 75/25 mix of all purpose and power bloom then 4 weeks later I top dress with 1 TBS per gallon

Latest posts

Top Bottom