Boron Deficiency? Please help

• Thread starter BurningTree87
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BurningTree87

Hey everyone. Have 4 sick plants and by the info i have found in my garden saver book points to a deficiency in Boron. I dosed the 4 plants with 1tsp of boric acid (powder) to 1 gallon of water. since then what ever it is has remained on only the effected leaves and i foresee losing them. Please let me know if you think i am treating the right deficiency or if i have misdiagnosed it. Thanks!!!
2010-12-18_at_21-42-21.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-41-16.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-28-31.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-41-27.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-41-22.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-28-25.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-27-40.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-28-03.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-28-16.jpg
2010-12-18_at_21-27-27.jpg

V

vancerz

your plants look a little over fed I would cut back to water if the treatment dosent seem to work.

B

BurningTree87

anyone seen this sort of discoloration when using BushMaster??? that is the only other thing i can think of that may have caused this spotting (other than a Boron deficiency). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Dial in your VPD. A transpiration issue will cause the leaves to do the same thing, exactly. Boron deficiencies are extremely rare; cannabis just doesn't use a ton of the stuff.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Although in the MMJ community, boron deficiencies may be rare, but there are ZERO moron deficiencies... LOL (definitely not putting you down bro, just commenting on the idiots out there...)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I agree with the overfeeding diagnosis - see the clawing leaves?

your plant is way to green to be def in much of anything

I got burn spots similar to that when I used the HG top booster with my lights a bit too close

what are you feeding normally? ppm? ph?

B

BurningTree87

Im using the Botanicare line (in soil) and my ph is tested daily to ensure its between 6.0 & 6.5 My PPM ranges from 1000 to 1040 (I start with way less and gradually up'd it to this) dont think i need it any higher do u? have heard of plants thriving at 1200 ppm but i cant get my plants very big so i dont think i will go there. i first noticed the spots after using humboldt's Bush Master (i use this to keep em short). Didn't recognize it as a burn but it very well could be (im a rookie).... AltitudeFarmer may have something when referring to transpiration. This is a High altitude grow and w/ such a small grow space and so much air being moved (and drawn out) of the room the highest my humidity gets is 40%. I could get a fan with lower CFMs but then it wouldn't cool my lamps as well & with temps already reaching 82f it doesn't seem like an option. Hoping to here back from AltitudeFarmer as he seems pretty confident that most of us are suffering a "moron" toxticity :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
so are you using the water, water, feed method?

or do you feed every watering?

Blaze

Blaze

Which Botanicare line are you feeding with? At full strength the Pure Blend Pro can be a little heavy on the PPM's and K from what I have seen, I run it at half strength usually. If your K or EC gets too high, certain elements will get locked out.

I would agree with altitudefarmer and motherlode - it is VERY unlikely to be a boron deficiency unless perhaps the deficiency is being cause by lock-out. The curled leaves and super dark green foliage is definitely signs of over-feeding. If they were my plants I'd give them a good flush and some compost tea to try to bring things back into balance.

B

bringtahoetreez

I also agree with the over-feed diagnosis. One suggestion for your fan issue. you could use a temp controller so the cfms would be the same but your fan wouldnt run 24/7.

hiboy

hiboy

hey brah
humidity at 40% in flower is great. No need to move that number.
Looks wet and overfed like stated above by the playas
hiboy

M

mrbong73

This happened back in Nov. I'm curious to know what happened with the boron application.
Sounded like a high dose with the bushmaster/ other nutes. Too much kelp concentrate can cause problems.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

i agree that boron dose sounded astronomical... and ive seen boron excess its not pretty...

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hoping to here back from AltitudeFarmer as he seems pretty confident that most of us are suffering a "moron" toxticity :)

Hey man, sorry... I'm only a PM away if you ever want my humble opinion. Hope things are going really well for you, and you've got your girls dialed in by now. I disagree with the 40% humidity advice previously given; you can work with 40% humidity, but you'll achieve optimal growth when you pay more attention to the Vapor Pressure Deficit. There are a couple threads on here that'll explain that better than I can, and there's always Google. I believe the leaf phenomena you photographed is a result of the leaf's internal temperature becoming too hot. Not positive; I'm not a botanist. But I know it happened to me occasionally for years, and since I've been paying attention to my VPD, it hasn't occurred in my grow or any in which I assist.
In the VPD article that convinced me, they mentioned leaf burn, and described my problem to a T.
I also did not realize you were wanting to hear back from me. I was definitely not calling you a moron. I will however, say there are a lot of morons out there who give stupid advice by trying to match photos from books (or worse, drawings) and pretending to be experts.
Good luck with your girls; may the force be with you.

:afroweed:

A

amstercal

Those burns have a similar pattern to heat/light stress. Makes me think the bushmaster and your temps combined with low humidity are causing it. 40% is not out of range, but your plants don't look happy. Strains and room conditions can affect a plant's acceptable humidity range greatly. With your temps reaching 82, I'd definitely up your humidity. Like altitudefarmer said, VPD. That being said, your plants do look like they're overferted, in the very least N.

Top Bottom