Botanicare and coco/ perlite mix

• Thread starter Thedoorz420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thedoorz420

Thedoorz420

hey all ive been growing with strait perlite for a lil over a year besides the weak foundation causeing alot of string doing most the support work i didnt have a problem. i am averaging about 2.5 ounces per plant 9 plants under each 1k watt. 3 galon bagsI been reading on coco and it seems like it would be nothing but better my only concern is i know my formulala for strait perlite is par to my expectations but i dont know if this would work in coco and perlit mix (All Botonicare)
Veg/ Bloom
10ml Progrow per galon/ 10ml probloom per galon 3ml hydroplex
6ml cal mag per galon /5ml liquid karma
6ml vitamino per galon/ 5ml cal mag
5ml liquid karma /5ml sweet raw

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi Thedoorz.

I've done both straight perlite and coir+perlite, and both are pretty easy, actually. I found perlite to be easiest because it's inert, whereas with coir you really have to pay attention to the balance and ratio of Ca:Mg. Also, using Botanicare, you MUST pre-charge, using a good Cal-Mag product at several times the usual strength, along with a mild vegging solution. I also found that by separating Ca from Mg I had much better results because I was able to respond more precisely to the plant's real needs, rather than just dumping both Ca and Mg into them, when, for example, what they really needed was a boost of Ca, and already had sufficiently available Mg.

I think your regimen will work, as long as that coir is pre-charged really, really well, and that is primarily Ca and Mg. Focus mostly on Ca and you'll be ok.

C

cctt

with coir you really have to pay attention to the balance and ratio of Ca:Mg.

Have you found a Ca:Mg ratio for coir that works well for you, Seamaiden?
My latest fertilizer experiments are coming out at 3:1, and so far so good, though they're not finished yet.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I personally feel that it needs to be at least 4:1, including in soil or other media, and 6:1 the plants performed a lot better, especially strains like The White that are typically thought of as Cal-Mag whores (The White turned out to be a Ca whore, she didn't care so much about the Mg).

Just watch closely because the signs of Ca- are necrotic spotting on upper leaves, and once it gets to that point you've waited too long and will chase a bit of your own tail.

C

cctt

I will look into that, thank you. Have you had trouble getting Ca levels so high without pushing too much N? All of My Ca is coming from CaNO3.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use various forms of Ca, including acidic CaCO3 forms. The only troubles with N I've had I actually created myself using a combination of alfalfa teas and too much fish emulsion. By the time I tried coir I was over it.

C

cctt

Can you point me to such an acidic CaCO3 source? My understanding was CaCO3 is alkaline.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It is, but many 0-N formulations use it. IIRC, Calplex is CaCO3 (but, IIRC, it's being discontinued). I currently have on hand some Calcium-25. Big initial investment, but you're using it at a rate of around 1tsp/gal, so that's a pretty good use rate. Also, if you can source it, BioLink 6% Ca is derived from calcium carbonate. Consider also that gypsum, aka calcium sulfate, is another source of Ca that is pH neutral and won't give N.

C

cctt

BioLink's Ca product label specifically says it's incompatible with phosphate or sulfate fertilizers. Are you working with organics, here? My situation may be different as I'm using the coir as soilless media for inorganic fertigation.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, 100% organic, sorry about that. I could have sworn I've mentioned it before. I didn't find it to be a problem at all when using it in conjunction with Floranova Bloom, though, plants utilized what I provided quite well. My method was to alternate MgSO4 with the BioLink using a Big Ricky-type of feed, alternating with Fox Farms Big Bloom.

los0420

los0420

hey all ive been growing with strait perlite for a lil over a year besides the weak foundation causeing alot of string doing most the support work i didnt have a problem. i am averaging about 2.5 ounces per plant 9 plants under each 1k watt. 3 galon bagsI been reading on coco and it seems like it would be nothing but better my only concern is i know my formulala for strait perlite is par to my expectations but i dont know if this would work in coco and perlit mix (All Botonicare)
Veg/ Bloom
Botanicare and coco work great two years and no problem amazing results

los0420

los0420

A
Veg/ Bloom

Also I only use canna coco ,never pre rinse it or charge with nothing it's the best on the market that I have tried

Thedoorz420

Thedoorz420

sweet thanks, i got 12 in coco perlite mix and 12 in strait perlite and the coco mix has a healthier look and stronger support hopfully the roots are better aswell (1 month into veg so far)

Top Bottom