Botrytis

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dorjewright

dorjewright

Is there a systemic for this. The cool wet weather has brought it on early. Usually its a problem here on the coast with the first Fall rains. Probably made a mistake trying to grow Purple Kush but its infecting even the Odessey and Bubba Kush.

A

A.Sherman

I guess just catch it in time and remove infected area, maybe spray with h2o2.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

oxidate will kill bot rot but only for a day or three at a time so it's like a gym membership
use it or lose it

fwiw

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Contact Blaze, I betcha he'll know what to do. I know ncga has dealt with it, but don't know if he can send pm's.

Blaze

Blaze

Ok, first of all you do NOT want to use a systemic if your plants are budding. I'd rather not see you poison yourself or others. In general I will not use systemics though due to the health risks so I might be a bit biased towards them.

The best defense against botrytis is cultural practices and genetics. Avoid purple kush, bubba kush, or any of the other very afghani-dominant indoor strains as they have almost zero resistance to botrytis. Usually strains that produce big dense buds will be the most mold prone but not always. Generally strains that are more sativa-ish tend to be resistant. Unfortunately that does not do you much good this year.

For mold I use Oxidate (h2o2) - a light spraying every 3 days can usually keep it mold in check. Stylet oil can also help prevent it as well. Always be sure to cut out any mold you find too. However Oxidate only works if you keep on top of it. Botrytis is systemic, once you see it start to mold up on your buds that means most of the plant is infected. I usually figure if I start finding mold in more than 2 or 3 spots on a plant it is time for it to come in. The oxidate works on contact only, so if your plant has been infected to the point where the mold is growing up the stem and in the cores of the buds it will not be very effective.

Oh, also proper pruning will help keep it in check. You want to always clean out all that wispy crap in the core of the plant. This will help with air flow which is important in preventing mold.

The other option is try to increase your air flow externally. I have seen people put big fans in their outdoor garden to keep the air moving so this technique is not just limited to indoor grows. I was actually contemplating getting a few battery powered fans to place in the core of my plants this year during the fall.

dorjewright

dorjewright

Many thanks for your advise Blaze. Girls are a long way to flowering so seems like this would be time for a systemic? So far so good on the GDPurple, Bubba Kush and Odessey. I was planning on a late September harvest to avoid the damp rainy October weather when last years sativa dominant girls had a real hard time with mold. Oh well, the best laid plans and all that.
But I am cleaning and opening up the insides.

Blaze

Blaze

Wow, you are getting mold even though they are a long way from flowering? I've never had that happen before - only ever got it at the end of the season. Are you 100% sure what you have it botrytis?

This far out a systemic might be fine depending on what it is, but since I do not use systemics I cannot recommend one. You should check out the UC Davis IMP database as well, that will give you some more suggestions on how to deal with it:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r302100111.html

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you do go a systemic route, use the dosing information provided for consumables (stone fruit, grapes and the like, or if they have non-woody consumables listed, use that information as your starting point).

N

NoReason

If I'm not wrong I use to see quite few growers using Serenade.Never used and I don't know how it works...but maybe you want to do a quick search on it.
Just my two

dorjewright

dorjewright

Not 100% sure its Botrytis just 98%. My references are Cervantes and Rosenthal. UC Davis recommends stylet oil, Seranade etc. The spots on the stems come right back after spraying with green cure, sns244, seranade. Haven't tried OxiDate yet - tomorrow with that. Cervantes - trichoderma, and I have some great white. So will also try that. Then maybe stylet oil.

Last year it was a problem with a sativa crop especially in October but the casey jones got the same stem infections early on which is why I thought maybe Indicas and an early harvest.

I'm opening up the plants with supercropping and tying the branches down to let air into the center. I don't have a large crop this year so going to fight it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Trichoderma is a fungus, so if you use that, use it after you use something like OxiDate or you'll have wasted your money. I don't know that stylet will interfere with microbes, but I think you can count on OxiDate to kill anything it touches.

Blaze

Blaze

Oxidate will kill anything it touches, good or bad. Works well for mold though, as does stylet and serenade.

phenotyper

phenotyper

I use serenade on my plants until buds form in flowering. You might give it a shot. Same day PHI, but smells bad so I avoid it once buds sprout pistils.

dorjewright

dorjewright

OxiDate knocked it out. Treated 3x in 36hrs but I think the first spray did the trick.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I'm using Serenade for the first time. Sprayed it on some early signs of PM, and I haven't seen it return yet.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

OxiDate knocked it out. Treated 3x in 36hrs but I think the first spray did the trick.

keep your eye on it for another week or two as bot rot will sneak back up on you when you're not looking

fwiw

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think some kind of rot has killed some of my Indian Woman bush beans. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom