Bottom Branches Dying

• Thread starter Growfellaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growfellaz

Growfellaz

I have a few plants where 1 or 2 bottom branches are dying off and wen I pull the branch off the stalk there is brown in the middle of stem.can't see any bugs or mites and few plants are in smart pots and few plants are in ground... the dead branches pull off easy as the healthy ones next to it are impossible to pull off ..plants have been looking a little sad the past week but it has been 100 + out any ideas?

Bottom branches dying
Bottom branches dying 2
Bottom branches dying 3
Bottom branches dying 4
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I have a few plants where 1 or 2 bottom branches are dying off and wen I pull the branch off the stalk there is brown in the middle of stem.can't see any bugs or mites and few plants are in smart pots and few plants are in ground... the dead branches pull off easy as the healthy ones next to it are impossible to pull off ..plants have been looking a little sad the past week but it has been 100 + out any ideas?
Stick one of those branch ends in water and see if a milky substance comes out in the water.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

A lot of times bottom branches will sag a little bit if they don't have great support and crack away from the main stalk . Some air will get in between the stalk and the branch and it turns brown and dies. I find a small branch or two every couple days at my gardens. They are large garden and I would be concerned if tons of branches were doing this but a small percentage is normal.

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

I would feel it's normal but all this just happend at the same time to 4 seperate plants and what a coincidence that they are ALl botton branches

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would suspect something has violated the roots IF you're not seeing something directly affecting the xylem.

The Humanure

The Humanure

iv had this when plants planted to low and a branch got crown rot.
and also iv had times where it did not.
organic poops can stimulate bad bacteria to cause this.
on my all GH flora grow no bottom crown rot.

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

We just fed them seamax all purpose the day before and none of the branches are touching soil

The Humanure

The Humanure

found a droopy branch on the far lower. did not bother me, gave it a day then cut it off.

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

And the bullshit continues..I was slightly over watering. bought a moisture meter and waited until they were dry...took about a week.. the dirt under my soil is pretty hard so it makes sense...just gave them a good soak and two days later this plant and another did this

20160715 090740
20160715 090740
The Humanure

The Humanure

its just broken, cut and move on. have a lower that is all the way to the top of my plant cut off today.

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

It's not broken something is eating\rotting the end of the branch that conects to the trunk it is not snapped at all it is still fully attached I am going to record a video of it later when I head back up to show you guys me pulling it off..it was not at all touching the ground so it could not have go wet I see no mites I am thinking some kind of fungus? I would not be worried but not its starting to take the big bottom branches

The Humanure

The Humanure

on more then one?
Iv had a couple. What I was told was next time keep all organic material off the root stock. You cant have any branches coming out of the dirt should be one Stock not a "V" where a second stock/branch is totally burred or you will get "stem rot"

I have it, cut and move on. a few guys use cut open 3 gallon plastic pots so NO water gets any where near the stock near the dirt.

Example that horrible parmesan cheese smell between your toes and you get athletes foot. But a plant if the stock gets to wet it get ROT.

Also put some tree sap (asphalt) to deal over the cut! The grow store will have it.
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=19681&itemnum=79103&redir=Y

Parmesan cheese wheels
Last edited:
BudBogart

BudBogart

I know the feeling. I have had a plant that the bottom branch fell off. Looked at the branch and it had signs of rot, all the way up the stem that you cannot see until the branch breaks. In this case, I checked other branches on the same plant and they all fell off easily.
Now the good news. I have 3 or 4 other plants that the bottom branch fell off. None of these showed any signs of rot and the other branches on the plant was firm and healthy. On 2 of those broken bottom branches I tied them back into the trunk with green gardeners tape, they started growing again and these plants have been thriving for weeks since this happened.
The bottom branches weigh the most and are subject to getting bumped while you water, your dog brushes by, a bird land there, I don't know why they fall like they do, but it doesn't necessarily spell disaster. Peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's not broken something is eating\rotting the end of the branch that conects to the trunk it is not snapped at all it is still fully attached I am going to record a video of it later when I head back up to show you guys me pulling it off..it was not at all touching the ground so it could not have go wet I see no mites I am thinking some kind of fungus? I would not be worried but not its starting to take the big bottom branches
Two things will cause that--root violation (fungus, something eating them) or xylem violation (fungus, something eating them). The solution depends on proper diagnosis here. I can't suggest digging the plant up, but if the xylem is intact then I'd be looking at something hitting the roots. If you know for sure you don't have gophers or anything like that, then I'd probably start considering the issue to be fungal/pathogenic in nature and approach from that angle.

I'd be HELLA pissed if I came out to see that, too, btw.

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

Plant continues to kill off bottom branches big as a hood on a 70 camaro
From the looks of these branches they are completely dry on the inside like it was no longer getting any water up the stalk

20160922 152948
20160922 152735
20160922 152700
3Dino

3Dino

I have been growing cannabis for 45 years. I've seen this happen several times it can be a lot of things. However if it isn't consistent on the entire plant or nearby plants and it's happening as flowering begins it's the plants sending nutrients and water to the upper branches where the tops are.
Sometimes they will reject lower branches in favor of the tops. Some phenotypes will reject the lower branches during vegetative cycle if undercutting hasn't been done . Personally I don't undercut I only cut off branches that the plant rejects naturally. Undercutting in the beginning may prevent this and may not. I usually just cut off the branches that wilt and use an asphalt type of sealer immediately. And please don't over water. And use the nutrients at least half strength of what the manufacturer recommends and you may have good results.

ArealBoy

ArealBoy

I keep coming back to this thread. Like no one else ever had this problem or figured out what it was. I have had a plant in veg doing this for 6 months very slowly one branch at a time and now I'm down to three tops but what ever it is it's creeping up them too. I had 6 tops just 2 days ago and now 3 of them have completely flopped over. I've been assuming some kind of Wilton but I'm amazed how very slowly it has been progressing. I'm thinking of cutting the last three tops to try and clone but I've heard that they may just be doomed as well. Very disappointing as it was a great plant and had a good harvest the first time half a year ago.

IMG 20220720 141805
IMG 20220720 141845

Latest posts

Top Bottom