Bought a new microscope

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've spent too much time talking about it, so I decided it's time to shit or get off the pot (not that kind of pot, another pot)! I bit the bullet, did more searching and found a basic microscope that has good reviews, hopefully it will work well for my needs.

What are my needs? Seeing tiny things up close, but no real "need" to photograph them. That's why I went with this microscope: Celestron 44104 500x Power Advanced Biological Microscope instead of this one: Celestron 44340 LCD Digital Microscope with LCD Screen.

I need reliability and accuracy over the ability to wow kids and take videos and photos. Who knows, I may discover that I really really WANT to take photos, in which case I'll have to buy the eyepiece adapter.

I will (try to remember to) come back and review the scope itself after I've received it.

M

MIway

Badass!

I'd def want the photo capabilities... hehehe... u will too! ;-)

But that does suck the lcd version doesn't offer an eyepiece. Does the adapter allow for the ep to be in use, just wires the info to the computer...?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The eyepiece wasn't what made me change my mind about the scope with the LCD display, it was all the reviews that caused me to seriously question quality. I don't want to buy what's supposed to be a new scope and have to take it apart to fix stuff that's rattled loose, clean out dust, or battle with the dark spot that so many folks have complained of with that particular model.

And, while I probably will want photo capabilities, it's just not high on my list at the moment. Plus, if I need help in that area I can just call my dad. He's an accomplished photog and spent some years making incredibly photos using photomicrography. He would grow crystals on the slides, then put a polarizing filter between them and the camera adapter. The subsequent photographs were AMAZING, not just for color and detail, but because many of them looked just like satellite photos of earth. Yet this was years before we had eyes in the skies like that.

It doesn't appear that this scope can be wired into your computer at all. Again, that's fine with me because I don't plan on going up and down the hill every time I want to see something.

I really probably would have gone for the other if it hadn't been for all the poor reviews.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Awesome Sea, will be looking forward to your testing.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

also keep in mind that microscopes want everything in 2D. A cross section that can lay flat on a slide and have light shined through it.

This will not be the same application as mmj which is always going to be 3D. make sure there are light sources above and below the bridge o your scope. And super high resolutions will not work either. id get a less powerful one that has a screen and camera. I get tons of use out of mine.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's the Celestron I decided against, for about twice the price that I found it listed for on Amazon.
also keep in mind that microscopes want everything in 2D. A cross section that can lay flat on a slide and have light shined through it.
Anything with a very short depth of field, and that's anything that goes super macro up to microscopy, is going to have problems with thick objects.
This will not be the same application as mmj which is always going to be 3D. make sure there are light sources above and below the bridge o your scope. And super high resolutions will not work either. id get a less powerful one that has a screen and camera. I get tons of use out of mine.
Good tips. The person who reco'd the LCD screen Celestron works at Steinhart and he's well known for breeding cuttlefish. And if I hadn't seen all those bad reviews that spoke too frequently of the thing NOT being ready to use out of the box, but needing repairs, adjustments or having things wrong that required it to be replaced, right out of the box, then I would have gone with Rich's recommendation. I also have a friend who's a scientist who recommended this type of scope as an overall better microscope, more reliable and would allow me greater flexibility with regard to resolution, light sources, etc. The USB eyepiece shouldn't be too much of a problem if I get to the point of wanting to put up photos.

I got the scope, slides and cover glasses for <$150, delivered to my front door.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
ONLY the old stuff. <insert winky of absolution here>

M

MediMary

well thebiomaster was telling everyone there was not benies in the RE, I said there was.. we went at it in a couple threads ..
ex.

what I think is the benie are domant and come to life.. but he said he test in his lab and they don't..

time for the real deal challenge:D

M

MediMary

when you test it, will u test it right out of the bottle, then maybe brew a little RO water and and some mollases to see if it comes to life.:)
have you ever used sm90?

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

sure ill brew a tea as well.

Sm90 is one of my favorite products. But ill admit it is simply the case because i love the smell. I foilar with it as much as possible. why do you ask>?

M

MediMary

what is you foliar to water ratio?
I love sm90 to, I have heard that it does not kill benefical aerobic bacteria in the res.
Hit up the owner kelly zetoziwvit,,or whatever his name was. its kelly something. and he was zero help.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

as much as i love the smell of it in my rez i cannot justify its use in the warehouse applications that i work . i only foilar with it, and that i eye (how much smells good). LOL

im almost embarrassed to admit that with the way i treat nearly every other product.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

you never told me why you were asking about sm90 anyway. whats up??

oh i get it, if RE is alive you want me to try and kill it with sm90? lol

M

MediMary

lmao:)
actually I had read a couple places that Sm90 does not kill benefical aerobic bacteria.

looking at the label it doesnt seem logical.. but I have always wondered. seen more than a few folks saying that.

U don't like sm90 in the res at all? hows come?

Latest posts

Top Bottom