Votes: 21 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Sometimes, but not always.

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters
OldPine

OldPine

@smokedareefer - so it sounds like your pack was doing both hydrating and dehydrating. And I'm with you that your supply was extremely stable at 62 even before adding he pack...it must have been just about right on 62 to only see that much change to the Boveda, huh?

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

@smokedareefer - so it sounds like your pack was doing both hydrating and dehydrating. And I'm with you that your supply was extremely stable at 62 even before adding he pack...it must have been just about right on 62 to only see that much change to the Boveda, huh?
yes, stabilize it before adding the packs is what ive tried to do.

H

hawkman

They are good to use if product is dry - the packs will bring it "back" - but now I will never use them again because they DO influence the taste, small and flavor - for the last grows were allways lacking taste and "Blue Venom" (great Strain !) is a regular for me, and have noticed that all grows lacked taste after "curing" them with boveda packs - Glad I found this thread - Thanks guys' !!!! you solved my problem with taste, smell and flavor . was thinking that I overfead plants and didn't flush long enough. Thanks !!!!!

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

According to the study posted, the presence of the Boveda 62 resulted in more terpenoids present vs. the control group with no Boveda pack. I'd like to see more studies done on this, even if it is just doing some side by sides here on the farm...but actual lab results would be nice.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

I'd be interested to see what @squiggly has to say about this, dude seems to know his chemistry shit...not sure if he posts here anymore though. The whole idea of the Boveda pack leaching terps from the buds and not releasing them back out seems intuitive and makes sense on a surface level...but it also sounds like one of those things that ends up being a load of bunk when tested properly or put through the paces by someone who knows chemistry rather than just thinking about how it "feels."

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

Just because terps are there in higher levels with the packs doesn't mean they haven't been altered in some way either though. No matter the results of any lab tests, etc., if in practice I notice a change in flavor that is not favorable to me then I can't bring myself to keep them in my jars.
Like I said though, I do use them sometimes to keep things from getting too dry but, I notice the problem with flavor if they stay in for an extended period of time. I still haven't tried the 58's but, I am going to get some pretty soon and see if they're somehow better about that than the 62's. Maybe the higher level is somehow to blame, it is a little bit too high. ???
It could just be in my head but, I know I'm not alone in this and it's not about how anything "feels", it's about flavor.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Just because terps are there in higher levels with the packs doesn't mean they haven't been altered in some way either though. No matter the results of any lab tests, etc., if in practice I notice a change in flavor that is not favorable to me then I can't bring myself to keep them in my jars.
Like I said though, I do use them sometimes to keep things from getting too dry but, I notice the problem with flavor if they stay in for an extended period of time. I still haven't tried the 58's but, I am going to get some pretty soon and see if they're somehow better about that than the 62's. Maybe the higher level is somehow to blame, it is a little bit too high. ???
It could just be in my head but, I know I'm not alone in this and it's not about how anything "feels", it's about flavor.

Flavor is a "feeling." It's not scientific. YOU KNOW that the Boveda packs have been in there and YOU THINK that the Boveda packs are taking away from flavor. So you are influenced and biased when you smoke it. If you don't believe the lab tests, the only way to do it is a double blind taste test. I'm not trying to say that your feelings aren't justified, just that I would love to see some actual tests done by people who haven't already developed a theory one way or the other. Unbiased observations based on solid reproducible findings.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

I get what you're saying for sure but, I never went into it with any bias, I had no expectation whatsoever about them changing the flavor, it just happened that way. I actually thought they were gonna be great by the way a lot of people had talked about them and then I find them messing with the flavor, kinda ruined my day, ya know?
Taking the word of stoners can be dicey at times so, I get it. I mean hey, I listened to them about the packs and found things were a little different than I had been led to believe. Always find out for yourself what works for you I say.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

I get what you're saying for sure but, I never went into it with any bias, I had no expectation whatsoever about them changing the flavor, it just happened that way. I actually thought they were gonna be great by the way a lot of people had talked about them and then I find them messing with the flavor, kinda ruined my day, ya know?
Taking the word of stoners can be dicey at times so, I get it. I mean hey, I listened to them about the packs and found things were a little different than I had been led to believe. Always find out for yourself what works for you I say.

Hahaha totally man, stoners aren't always the most reliable of folks.

I am also kind of worried about the smell/taste factor, because I used them on my last harvest, but I don't have anything to compare it to as the packs were put in all of my jars. For my next harvest I'm going to do half with the packs and half without and see if I can tell a difference after a month or so. How long do you leave the packs in before taking them out?

Getting back to the initial topic, I'm really interested to see how you like the 58's, and I hope you keep the thread updated.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

How long do you leave the packs in before taking them out?
Honestly, I don't have any set thing with them, I put my buds in jars a little on the moist side and burp them instead of dropping Bovedas and leaving them. I did do that for a short time but, as we've covered, that didn't really work for me so, my Boveda use has been pretty sporadic for quite a while now and I don't remember how long I was leaving them before I noticed a change in flavor.
When I do use them now I just leave them in until I notice some moisture coming back into the buds and I get them out as soon as possible at that point.

H

hawkman

have done with and with-out using them - They do remove the taste/flavor - wasted time and effort on a crappy cure - will never use again - my Giving my "pack" away. They do work in reguard to help preserving but with the cost of flavor and tatse

squiggly

squiggly

I'd be interested to see what @squiggly has to say about this, dude seems to know his chemistry shit...not sure if he posts here anymore though. The whole idea of the Boveda pack leaching terps from the buds and not releasing them back out seems intuitive and makes sense on a surface level...but it also sounds like one of those things that ends up being a load of bunk when tested properly or put through the paces by someone who knows chemistry rather than just thinking about how it "feels."

I'm here.

Everything follows equilibrium behavior. If terps abound in an environment and the packs don't have any on them, some will deposit there.

As for how much, I'd imagine a negligible amount.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

*BUMP*

So, has anyone tried the 58's yet? I meant to get some to try before this but, I've had a lot of other stuff to worry about and it's kinda slipped my mind to be honest. I'd be interested to hear any opinions on them if anyone has tried them.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

*BUMP*

So, has anyone tried the 58's yet? I meant to get some to try before this but, I've had a lot of other stuff to worry about and it's kinda slipped my mind to be honest. I'd be interested to hear any opinions on them if anyone has tried them.
Mine arrived yesterday! I've been using the 62's for long term storage and I have to agree they are just a touch too "wet". I always take nugs out of the jar and let them dry for 20 minutes or so before breaking them up. Other than that I have no complaints about the 62s, but I've swapped them out for 58s...will report back when I have made some observations :)

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

I don't use Boveda in my grow tent, but I do in my CVaults.

Can't remember if they're 58 or 62%...
The ones cvault sends with them are 62. I use them as well and I fucking love it. I'll definitely keep the 62 for curing in the vaults, I think they hit the nail on the head for that. But I'm curious to see how the 58s do with storage. I just feel the 62s are a touch to wet to smoke right out of the jar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom