box elder bugs

• Thread starter alf318
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KAWIGREEN

No experience myself but ive heard a mix of soap and water works...

Kindone

Kindone

They are really bad the last couple of seasons for some reason, my house has been infested since last fall. They seem to be alot better the last week or so in my house.

A

alf318

the things are tough tried dawn and water and i think they brought there own rubber ducks!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They are really bad the last couple of seasons for some reason, my house has been infested since last fall. They seem to be alot better the last week or so in my house.
There is an invasion of Asian stink bugs (I think that's what they're called) that's moving westward from the east and I remember reading somewhere that they resemble box elder bugs.

Patriot has a thread on them, The New Bug or something like that it's called.

O

ogwww

start from new. but works good 1 gallon water 1 teaspoon olive oil and some dail soap .
spray ever few days controls them till your crop is done. still living not as much or as good. make sure u use a fan for mold control.

M

m1rage

My old golden retriever usually did the trick-something about the taste of those bugs must have just driven her wild LOL... I think that the Box Elders only inhabit a specific type of tree-maybe think about having this thing removed/sealing the foundation of your house/creating a sealed room, or these bugs will continue to come into your spot. Used to see them at my parent's house but have not seen any since moving out.

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

there isnt much info out here about box elder bugs and the way they act with an indoor garden, all the info i found talks about how they act in regular settings not an altered environment. wasnt sure if i should start a new thread but i wanted to fix the mis information i have came across if anybody responds ill post here otherwise start a new thread

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You can add what you've learned here, if you like. Thanks!

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

ok seamaiden no problem, first off id like to say these little buggers are pests, they dont destroy buds at all but they do eat fan leaves, they like warm sunny areas so they are prone to veg rooms. Normally these bugs would stay dormant indoors during winter but with an indoor garden they act differently. they make them selves known when there is any warmth over your canopy. all in all they are not terrible but they will irritate you.

squiggly

squiggly

Caulk or seal entry points from outside.

Diatomaceous earth on your windows can prevent them from sneaking in that way.

Insecticidal soap and water is a good killer. I'm told neem also works.

If you want to know a really great way for an indoor garden here goes:

Physically remove the insects. They are quite large. Use a shop vac. Done and done.

Source:

I have a box elder tree at my childhood home.

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

the neem oil has no effect and as far as removing them, they are sneaky bastards it seems i can only find them when they are hiding on the ground, never do i find them on my plants munching lol either way just wanted to see if anybody else deals w them.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not out here, no I haven't. Not YET, anyway. I have, however, dealt with root aphids. I thought they were a bitch until I got cabbage aphids that completely destroyed my entire cole crop last year. They are NOT easily controllable at all organically, let alone eradicatable. Completely destructive, completely disgusting.

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

damn Sea i am sorry to hear that, were the cabbage aphids what you see in cabbage field chewing big holes through leaves?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, they gather in thick clusters inside the deepest folds and curds. Then, when the population reaches epic proportions, they produce PREGNANT FEMALE FLYERS, just like root aphids.

You're thinking of harlequin bugs, maybe? I thought they'd be the problem, but they were nothing compared to the CAs.

No more cole crops in Sea's market gardening future, I'll leave that to the other farmers who've got it down. I'll grow other stuff, instead.

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

damn always sucks to hear the horror stories but at least you overcame it.

Quazi

Quazi

Box Elder bugs only eat and breed on a certain trees leaves and are harmless. they will gather in very large numbers on sun faceing walls on buildings. I get a ton of them on the outside of the house every year, but its only the front of the house that gets lots of sun. make sure that u dont have an air conditioner, window, or anything open cause they will get into the house, but again they are harmless just kinda annoying.

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

Quazi you are right to an extent they are harmless but they do munch on the tips of leaves which can be harmful in early veg. the reason i brought this thread back to life is because there isnt much info on how these buggers act with a living garden indoors, most of the info involves regular settings. these bugs are actually supposed to hibernate all winter, till the weather warms up outside in spring, but with a warm bright light they find a reason to wake up every day ( maybe im creating a new elite box elder bug lol) and investigate the warmth. They are some smart bugs but im on a killing path and wont stop till i find em all......

Top Bottom