• Start date
  • Tagged users None
OGkusher420

OGkusher420

Came outside to this?
Branch down

OGkusher420

OGkusher420

Has this happened to anyone else? The rest of the plant is perfect, just this branch, only clue is a few bite marks on fan leaves from squirrels? But I don't see any on the stalk?

OGkusher420

OGkusher420

The bottom pic is the branch that's affected, it's somewhat in soil, could that affect it?

lazyfarma420

lazyfarma420

Take it off the soil it might burn the leaves touching it get a bread tie and tie broken branch to closest branch it should heal itself I just broke a main branch on my girl and it recouped like a champ these plants are super strong

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's not a broken branch, though. @OGkusher420 -- next time, trim off those low-lying branches, they're going to be prone to all kinds of problems.

Yes, I've had that happen before. Every time, something had violated the xylem, in my case it was some sort of fungus or rot and since it was late in the season, I ended up pulling the plant. I suspect something similar in your case since you don't see that anything has actually girdled or circled that branch's xylem. I personally would cut it off. If it's not the xylem that's been violated, then I'd have to say that the section of root that are feeding that part of the plant have suffered something.

You may well be able to get some cuttings from that branch to take root, and then you could keep them going for next year if it's a girl you really like.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Happens every year. Many different reasons why it could happen, but your picture doesn't show a broken branch.....Unless I am blind. Is your soil wet to the edges of the pot? This is the time of year when plants demand extra water. Any root damage will translate into similar damage you are experiencing. If your soil dried out on the edges of the pot, you might of lost some root mass. Which in turn kills the corresponding part of the plant. Usually lower branches correlate to older roots, or roots that have spread the furthest.

I don't think you really have anything to worry about. What I do is just chop those branches, it equals better nugs on the top of the plant. As long as your still in veg, I don't see any loss of product overall.

COGrower8

COGrower8

is there anything to do about wilt?? Ive got a plant (all of the others look healthy) that looks like its got a N deficiency.... Leaves are yellowing and dying and the others look like there wilting....its starting at the bottom and working its way up.....Only thing i could think of doing was recharging the soil and adding some mexican bat guano

Last edited:
Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Often wilt is due to too much nutes. Very little you can do to fight wilt. Bring o2 to the root zone, maybe with compost teas. I have heard hydrogen peroxide works, but never tried it.

COGrower8

COGrower8

interesting i haven't used any nutes all year.....just a make shift super soil......i cleaned her up really nicely last night hit her with some green clean and fed some mexican bat guano and recharge like i said and she seems to be responding nicely.....time will tell....o_O

Goodolboy

Goodolboy

I've experienced this happening to me when the gophers are chewing on my roots. Are your roots protected?

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Another bit of info I observe when this happens.

90% of the time, it's one of the bottom 4 branches.

80% of the time, it's on the north side of the plant.

My guess, the plant realizes that branch is either, to heavy, not getting enough sun, and the rest of the plant is outgrowing it. The plant then reacts by cutting off that branch. If you stick the broken end of the stem in a glass of water and a milky substance comes out, then you have serious problems. However, I have NEVER found milky water when I return, so I say it's a natural plant defense.

Just my two cents.

maya42

maya42

I've also experienced the same thing, but usually mine are much smaller branches. I would say the very bottom branch is the usual victim. I've asked a couple of old time growers about it and one thinks it's MAYBE a disease, but no evidence , just a theory. Another thinks like bulldog is saying, a natural way of getting rid of unwanted plant material

Growfellaz

Growfellaz

Another bit of info I observe when this happens.

90% of the time, it's one of the bottom 4 branches.

80% of the time, it's on the north side of the plant.

My guess, the plant realizes that branch is either, to heavy, not getting enough sun, and the rest of the plant is outgrowing it. The plant then reacts by cutting off that branch. If you stick the broken end of the stem in a glass of water and a milky substance comes out, then you have serious problems. However, I have NEVER found milky water when I return, so I say it's a natural plant defense.

Just my two cents.

Iv tried the water bottle test and it's been clean no milky substance comes out... but do you know what causes the milky substance?

BudBogart

BudBogart

I've had several bottom branches come off. One plant was diseased. If you broke it up the stem it shows brown. Others have broken at the trunk and I stick them back in, tie it up and they keep growing like nothing happened.

BudBogart

BudBogart

If the plant is diseased the next stem up will come off with just a little pull. A stem on a healthy plant won't.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Gotta run and do my tarps, but I think the milky substance is a fungus or rot. Indicating things like wilt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom