Branches rotting off at the trunk?

• Thread starter K2xm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K2xm

K2xm

This plant is growing outdoors in Hawai’i in a 10 gallon pot. It’s a clone. I had a clone a while back (from same source- not if the same mother plant) that maybe had this same problem.
This plant in the photo had one branch that had died and turned brown - the entire branch. This branch seems like it wants to break off from the trunk. The area below the branch looks like it is rotten - it is soft and I can easily remove some of the rot with a fingernail.
I’m thinking it is a fungus? Thinking I should put something on this area - a fungicide? Then maybe wrap this area with tape and splint it to keep from breaking?
Branches rotting off at the trunk

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Are the leaves above the bad part of the stem wilted? If so, I'd guess some kind of fusarium. The fact that other plants from the same mother did this kind of says there's a fungus in the mother plant.

This is jut my 2 cents. I'm no expert on this. I'd cut away any infected tissue, though.

K2xm

K2xm

Are the leaves above the bad part of the stem wilted? If so, I'd guess some kind of fusarium. The fact that other plants from the same mother did this kind of says there's a fungus in the mother plant.

This is jut my 2 cents. I'm no expert on this. I'd cut away any infected tissue, though.
Right now, everything on the branch looks fine - just like the rest of the plant. The only parts that looks bad are is the very intersection of that branch and the main stem, and the other (much smaller) whole branch that I found totally brown and dead.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I've only dealt with fusarium with tomatoes, so I don't know what to advise. But it was terminal for all my tomatoes that year.

I think you'd need a systemic fungicide to kill it, and that would make your reefer unsafe to smoke. I think I'd cut away that branch and the rotten looking stuff, though.

SwiftStixx

SwiftStixx

Hard to tell true cause BUT, saying you may have had a batch of clones or another that died from a similar looking rot condition you are dealing with an infected mother or the soil in your potting location is tainted.

Always turn over and dig out and replace soil outdoors and do not use real earth soil. The soil contains bacteria not meant to live in the plant.It expresses itself like this like a fungus that works from within if the mother carries the genetics also.If this is topical, and spreads, it can be treated. If it is genetic OR in the soil, thus transferring to the plant dna, it likely is systemic and not curable. You can wrap in scotch tape to brace the branch together. Although I do not get paid by them, I wish I did I swear by and spend a lot with them but, PureCrop1 is a life saver and a swear none of you will waste time or money with any home made or chemical remedies for bugs and mold. I treat it by the bottle the first time, and then 1 tsp/1 gal of Ph=6.8 water DAILY tops and bottoms of plant. Never deal with light burn from it and it dries fast to not create mold itself. Never had issue after acquisition. Maybe this will help you! Good luck and ask if Anything!
0A124D3E AEC1 4534 BF04 D044BDD038B9

K2xm

K2xm

I saved the branch and the plant, and all is well with that problem.

I took some Q tips and hydrogen peroxide, scrubbed the hell out of the whole area, then mixed up some copper fungicide and scrubbed some more. Then I made a brace using InstaMorph plastic (polycaprolactone polymer- it melts at 140°, has a low specific heat and low heat conductivity so can be melted and shaped with bare hands, won’t burn the plant). So far this seems to have fixed the problem. I’ve let the plant go to flowering (had been supplementing the sunshine with 2 - 16W LED full spectrum lights).

14D9FD71 DC8A 4EE1 8125 A24326749688
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Is that fungicide safe for plants people are going to consume?

K2xm

K2xm

Is that fungicide safe for plants people are going to consume?
Yes. Good question. I’m using copper diammonium diacetate, which provides metallic copper. Copper can kill about anything, but so can salt! Too much is definitely bad - can kill the plant. But copper is a necessary micronutrient in our bodies and plants need it too - in tiny quantities.

The stuff I use is Southern Ag brand. It is listed for many fruits and vegetables- spinach, broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes- about all common fruits and vegetables. It does wash off with rain.

I only applied it to the stems, and I haven’t smoked any stems since the early 70s!

mancorn

mancorn

In my experience the H2O2 will knock it down for a few days but it’ll keep coming back. Isopropyl alcohol (undiluted) does a much better job. Scrub with cotton ball and Q-tips. You don’t want it all over your leaves, but it’s fine on the stem.

Top Bottom