Brand new grower (pics)

• Thread starter jacksonF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Man the stretch is going to kick you ass I bet :) Just remember 1.5 to 3 times the height when you flip ! Good to see another 1st timer doing multiple strains too, most say that's a no no. I can see why now because they all act a little different, We had one really picky lady as the others were pretty easy. Whats that humidity in there ?

Dunge

Dunge

Welcome to the farm.
A few things come to mind that you will need to consider.
The smell of flowering plants can be alarming to other people living in or visiting the house.
Carbon filters to clean and ozone generator to de-stink escaped aromatics.
I try not to spill water. It must go somewhere and messes with RH.
Cloning: I use Rapid Rooters and Clonex. Clonex is in gel form and is convenient but expensive.
Cloning is very satisfying (once you dial it in) and reduces the number of plants you need to bring into your grow area. Read some of the stories about pest avoidance and quarantine procedures and you will be alarmed at how big a problem pests can be.
I like your area as it looks much like mine. Keep loving those plants.

J

jacksonF

varies between 38 and 52%. When you say flip, does than mean when you go from veg to flower?

Live in a dry climate so every little bit helps. Odor is not a problem yet . . .

lazarus718

lazarus718

With those T-5's I would try to capture and hold as much reflected light as possible...can you close up the two free sides then mylar it all? You might already have it that way and just have them removed for the pic but light is more important than nutes in my book. Work on that soil mix a bit before logging your next run bro, you'll hardly need any expensive nutes if at all. My experience with peat moss in containers is that it tends to bind up and really clog the drainage as well as suck a lot of oxygen out of the soil. Maybe this link may help a bit:

T

TheHydroChronic

Back to the forum, thanks for your comments!

Looked at LED and my mentor said 'no way!' Do any of them work as they claim? At any rate . . let me get the other photos up for your review.

jackson

LED's do work, but are grossly overpriced in my opinion.For my first grow I bought several LED's and one 750 HID HPS. By my third grow I had craiglisted all my LED's.
My. 02$
Sounds like your mentor is pointing you in the right direction, wish someone would have given me the heads up.

What is this ozone solution you spoke of?

Plants looking real nice so far, congratulations :)

J

jacksonF

Ozone solution

Thanks for the confirmation of what flip means.

One of my businesses is selling microbial mixtures for commercial ag. We also sell ozone systems for dairies. We run the water through a Mazi injector that mixes the ozone into the water . . we use it as a disinfectant. Also a good way to oxygenate water

I am gifted to have such a mentor . . the learning curve is just too costly.

Thanks for the info on peat, when we get more up to speed we will try different soil mixtures. I also develop mixtures (humic acid, mycoryzall fungi, beneficial microbes, biochar, goat manure, composted biomass etc.) for these high desert soils.

thanks!

"If civilization is to survive, it must live on the interest, not the capital, of nature." — Ronald Wright (A Short History of Progress)

Medijuana

Medijuana

One of my businesses is selling microbial mixtures for commercial ag. We also sell ozone systems for dairies. We run the water through a Mazi injector that mixes the ozone into the water . . we use it as a disinfectant. Also a good way to oxygenate water

I was thinking of doing this too, but decided against it since I've heard that ozone-treated water has disinfectant properties. This concerned me, since healthy microbial activity is important for organic soil growing.

soserthc1

soserthc1

First time newbee, gonna attempt to put up some pictures. Comments are always welcome.
Starting to ramp up the feeding and it is having a very clear response.
some nice plants there but a few seem to need more N the yellowing leaves need to be dialed in , but all and all nice plants for a new grower.......good luck peace

lazarus718

lazarus718

I also develop mixtures (humic acid, mycoryzall fungi, beneficial microbes, biochar, goat manure, composted biomass etc.) for these high desert soils.

If you're working with high desert soils you're talking to the right man, I'm in ABQ and have been gardening for around 5 years now. Aside from my pot plants I grow tomatoes and hot peppers and the wifey goes for squash,zucchini, and melons. Raised beds is the way to go bro!

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

He says he using house and garden a+b and some micro nutrient, so technically its not an organic grow. So the water treated with ozone, anyone have an idea how long it keeps its disinfectant properties :wondering ...Might be handy for dwc,synthetic nutes. and sterile rez? or not even?

J

jacksonF

Ozone

The half life of ozone in 60 degree water is ~20 minutes. As the O3 breaks down (it is that third unstable O that is the biocide agent) you are left with O2 enriched sterile water. It is also a floculant that will remove suspended solids (some).

You are right, it is technically not 'organic' at this point as we ramp up. Not using toxic additives (pesticide, herbicide). Our vegetable gardens are all 'Organic', I prefer 'natural' as the organic name has been coopted. As we make the transition, we will look to our mentor and you all for guidance and suggestions.

'The war to end all wars is the battle against our delusions.'~Stonepeace

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Jackson, so far your set up looks pretty good, but there is always room for improvement. Primarily I would suggest buying some grow books, there are always good ideas in those books; there are also several indoor gardening magazines I really like. Any and all reading you can do will help you keep your garden green and flowing. While this forum is a one of the best places to get answers for your problems, sometimes the answer we are looking for takes a bit of time to get posted, reading material is always there to reference.

You mentioned picking up more plants, I would suggest keeping your plant counts down until you have a bit more experience. If you get too large too quickly you may find you have more to deal with than you can handle. I would highly suggest working with what you have and learning what those plants need. Each different variety requires its own set of requirements and if there are too many plants of too many varieties you may spend more time on this project than you have to give. One principle to always keep in mind is K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. You are still learning, don't try to take on the load of a pro. Also your space has yet to be dialed in, and that is really the most important part of your grow. Once you have a space that is dialed in then you can focus on the individual needs of each variety. Once you have those varieties dialed in then expand on what you have.

Just a silly question, if you supply nutrients and soils for agricultural purposes, why note use those products instead of spending money on bottled nutrients?

I am also really interested in your ozone infused solution. Could you provide a bit more info on it? Being and organic grower I am not really a big fan of "sterilized" anything; it is the micro life in the soil that will keep your plants healthy and happy. Anything that may kill the bacteria and fungi in my soil is removed from my regiment.

Something I just found on ozone treatment of water:
Ozone disinfection
O3 is an unstable molecule which readily gives up one atom of oxygen providing a powerful oxidizing agent which is toxic to most waterborne organisms. It is a very strong, broad spectrum disinfectant that is widely used in Europe. It is an effective method to inactivate harmful protozoa that form cysts. It also works well against almost all other pathogens. Ozone is made by passing oxygen through ultraviolet light or a "cold" electrical discharge. To use ozone as a disinfectant, it must be created on-site and added to the water by bubble contact. Some of the advantages of ozone include the production of fewer dangerous by-products (in comparison to chlorination) and the lack of taste and odour produced by ozonisation. Although fewer by-products are formed by ozonation, it has been discovered that the use of ozone produces a small amount of the suspected carcinogen bromate, although little bromine should be present in treated water. Another of the main disadvantages of ozone is that it leaves no disinfectant residual in the water. Ozone has been used in drinking water plants since 1906 where the first industrial ozonation plant was built in Nice, France. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has accepted ozone as being safe; and it is applied as an anti-microbiological agent for the treatment, storage, and processing of foods.

I am really excited to see what your grow brings. It is always nice to see someone else growing this wonderful plant. It is such a great plant, and in my opinion the most fun plant to grow. Keep the updates coming I a can't wait to see what you are able to produce; I will be subscribed to this thread to see what progress you are making.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Looking good Jackson..Nice work with the crates
I am constantly looking for stuff to set the pots on to keep my veg canopy fairly even

from what I can tell you have room for more plants in there...

I say SOG that place!!

:animbong:

J

jacksonF

biologically managed plant production

My mentor, who has since moved out of state, started me off on this simple formula, proven and popular. . reducing the variables to first dial in the space and as you say 'space has yet to be dialed in, and that is really the most important part of your grow.' I look forward to doing some side by sides with my soils as I learn more about this plant.

I too,, am a bug man, preferring to re-establish balance with beneficial microbes (probiotics) than using chemical disinfectants. So ozonated water, followed by beneficial microbes is a good way to start over.

My partner is having great success with ozone in the dairies keeping the pathogens down, while I took the microbial path . . allowing the bugs to transition from chemically managed agriculture to Biologically Manged Farming with no pain.

Good concise description of ozone, thanks.

I need to add a few more plants to reach my limit. I also want to grow a number of strains to check out their medicinal effect. Lot's of new science coming out about what a miracle plant it is. Vegetable of the Gods.

"WHEREAS allegiance and protection are, in their nature, reciprocal, the one should of right be refused when the other is withdrawn" -- North Carolina 1776 Constitution

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

My mentor, who has since moved out of state, started me off on this simple formula, proven and popular. . reducing the variables to first dial in the space and as you say 'space has yet to be dialed in, and that is really the most important part of your grow.' I look forward to doing some side by sides with my soils as I learn more about this plant.

I too,, am a bug man, preferring to re-establish balance with beneficial microbes (probiotics) than using chemical disinfectants. So ozonated water, followed by beneficial microbes is a good way to start over.

My partner is having great success with ozone in the dairies keeping the pathogens down, while I took the microbial path . . allowing the bugs to transition from chemically managed agriculture to Biologically Manged Farming with no pain.

Good concise description of ozone, thanks.

I need to add a few more plants to reach my limit. I also want to grow a number of strains to check out their medicinal effect. Lot's of new science coming out about what a miracle plant it is. Vegetable of the Gods.

"WHEREAS allegiance and protection are, in their nature, reciprocal, the one should of right be refused when the other is withdrawn" -- North Carolina 1776 Constitution

I actually found that description on Wikipedia, of all places. I honestly always thought adding ozone to water would produce H2O2, not an aerated and disinfected water. So that was my real hesitation. It is very nice to learn a new technique to clean my water. Do you know if that process would leach out Chlorine from water?

Dunge

Dunge

love me some michrobes

Would you please synopsizes your grow.
What medium are they in and how are you feeding/watering?
I am hoping to hear that you are in organic soil.
I am currently using only alfalfa tea, but I don't know what I'm doing and I was hoping your mentor had advised you on such subjects.
I embrace the microbe/root ecology model of plant health.
I'd like to hear more about what you are inoculating with and how you go about it.

J

jacksonF

microbial love

At this point it is not 'organic'. Getting the process down. No info on Alfalfa tea. Just trying to limit the variables to identify cause/effect of those items we do tweek.

One of the biologicals I do work with and like, are mycorizzal fungi. Each plant naturally has a symbiotic relationship with this fungus and chemical management will bypass this system and destroy it. I inoculate the seeds with the spore or get it into the root zone of the plant.

This is the natural process where the plant trades sugars for what it needs from the soil. It is this rizzoshpere that feeds the plant. They also provide the polysacarides, enzymes and amino acids that build the soil over time.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Would you please synopsizes your grow.
What medium are they in and how are you feeding/watering?
I am hoping to hear that you are in organic soil.
I am currently using only alfalfa tea, but I don't know what I'm doing and I was hoping your mentor had advised you on such subjects.
I embrace the microbe/root ecology model of plant health.
I'd like to hear more about what you are inoculating with and how you go about it.

Yesterday we did a big change over to the room to incorporate suggestions from you guys. As you can see we are using plastic crates as lego blocks and are able to get everyone the same distance from the light. Disinfected everything with an ozone solution.

We are using a mixture of perelite (sp) and peat moss . . ~60/40
Nutrients come from Aqua Flakes A/B mix
Minerals from FoxFarm - -Grow Big

Going to get 7 more clones . . strains are 2 blue sky, 1 black widow, 1 blue widow, 2 that came from Afghanistan via a vet (?Kush) and three that are unknown.
Hey says ppm @ 600 I believe and RH between 37% &50%. :) looks like hand watering

J

jacksonF

temp is 68 to 72 and we are up to 1300 ppm. Hand watering for sure. All the ladies are looking vibrantly healthy.

Top Bottom