BRAND NEW GROWER

• Thread starter grnchemist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

grnchemist

What's up everybody...I recently built a small grow room under a flight of stairs in a basement. The size is roughly 4ft wide by 5ft tall...I need any helpful tips on keeping the smell down, maximizing my yields, a reputable place to purchase a few good strands(seeds), and anything else that may help out a first timer...currently growing 11 plants (2nd week).

ttystikk

ttystikk

Welcome! Lots of people here can help answer those questions, and many more.

Are you really a chemist?

G

grnchemist

Thank you for the reply... no sir I'm not a chemist. I have a few chemist abilitie tho...lol. I plan on being one with these plants:-)
Welcome! Lots of people here can help answer those questions, and many more.

Are you really a chemist?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Welcome to the farm, grnchemist. You've got a LOT of reading to do!

G

grnchemist

I'm ready...point me in the right direction please. Anything will help. I'm new to blogs n forums all together so y'all please forgive me if I'm a little off on the etiquette in here. I'm just a guy hungry and eager to learn so I can become an expert

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you grown any kind of plant before ever? And if you have, have you grown flowering plants? If you've grown anything like peppers or tomatoes, you've got a good basic knowledge on how to start with cannabis. Beyond that, I recommend figuring out how you want to grow (soil, soilless, hydroponic), I recommend new growers start with soil but others have different recommendations.

Start in our basic growing section: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/forums/basic-growing-information.5/

G

grnchemist

I am NOT that green lol I have the basic concept down what I need is an advanced strategy on how to maximize my yields keep down the smell and also a good place reputable that I can get some seeds from very good strains currently I have 11 plants growing in 5 gallon buckets in soil they are at about the two week old stage. Advice from a seasoned grower will be gratefully appreciated thank you guys in advance I really look forward to learning all of the tricks of the trade.

urbanfog

urbanfog

Welcome to the farm!

You've got quite the open ended question. There are MANY MANY ways to grow with what you have started. Read the grow journals, technique forums and soil/organics threads. Since you are limited by your room, read about LST (low stress training), Topping for main colas, and sog (sea of green) Dial is conditions of your environment first and then start learning to read your plants (good to do for any growing style)

Good luck, If I can do it anyone can! Remember keep it simple, have patience and most of all enjoy your garden ;)

UF

G

grnchemist

Urbanfog thank u for taking time from your day to reply. MUCH APPRECIATED!!! As I said earlier, I am new to blogs and forums. I have no clue as to how you guys operate in here, and hopefully I dont offend anyone with what may seem like dumb questions. I got the concept down. Its not rocket science right? lol. My grow has started (2 weeks in) Im not sure what they are tho....probably just sum swag:-( but im going to use this first time grow to try to fine tune my skills because I plan on acquiring some good seeds(which I would love a good reputible source for). What type of nutrients would you recommend? Where can I find some info on keeping the smell down? etc. I know I know lol....jus need sum insight bro. THANKS.

urbanfog

urbanfog

for nutes, personally I found great results with Jacks fert lines, Veg&Bloom one part and Dyna Gro line.

Again for me, I like shit easy, I dont mix anything other than tap water, after letting sit. I use and make my own alfalfa tea for alternating feeds. I also incorporate a way of feeding by "making it rain" (a good h2o drench, then follow up with a "feed") I have been shown and seen they tend to "wick" the moisture faster after a good "rain" ;) . I veg in a happy frog amended mix (hf, coco, perlite, hydroton chow with a few additions) hand watering and for flower a 4x4 flood and drain on part of my tent and scrog on the other, then drain to res with top feeding. For me, the biggest thing I have began to learn is read YOUR plants, they will tell you what they want.

Again, good luck. Ask questions, dont fall for all the hype and enjoy the hobby ;)

G

grnchemist

Man your a Godsend...lol. A little like me I guess. I like to learn then pass it on so others can take advantage. BUT...sum of what your saying is chinese to me(no offense to my Asian friends). "wick", 4x4 flood n drain...hf, frog amended, drain to res with top feeding....man I have no clue. I have done countless hours of reading and research and for the most part I just take the common knowlege from multiple sources...if I use miraclegro startup for my veg state and miralegro ultra bloom for flowering would that be sufficient? Mainly I just want my plants to be as healthy as possible so my yields will be substantial. Thanks again.

urbanfog

urbanfog

Personally if it was me, the only way I would run MG is the organic line. You can find some great tea mixes for feeding too, that may be an easier way to be able to feed your ladies and avoid MG.....just my opinion. Look into Jacks or Veg&Bloom, both ship fast and can be used in both veg and flower, then you can go from there depending on what they need. Veg&Bloom also will test your water and make a specific mix just for you if needed due to hard water/ conditions etc. Both lines are fairly cheap also.

No worries, look into "caregiverKen", seamaiden, any of the mods threads for great tips..... god Im forgetting someone, dam home grown GSC :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Stay away from MG, please. If you're looking for super-easy for just a few plants, say no more than 12 grown inside, I'll strongly suggest giving Super Plant Tonic line a try, by Blue Mountain Organics. They're here: http://stores.ebay.com/Blue-Mountain-Organics?_rdc=1
I am NOT that green lol I have the basic concept down what I need is an advanced strategy on how to maximize my yields keep down the smell and also a good place reputable that I can get some seeds from very good strains currently I have 11 plants growing in 5 gallon buckets in soil they are at about the two week old stage. Advice from a seasoned grower will be gratefully appreciated thank you guys in advance I really look forward to learning all of the tricks of the trade.
Indoors, I switched from soil to coir for the growth rates in relation to PG&E. After doing some reading, I'd probably make it a peat-coir mix, amended. Beyond that I think so much has to do with your style, preferences, and abilities that I have never felt comfortable telling people they must do one way or another. The only exception to that is in-ground outside--there's just no fucking way an indoor-grown plant is going to even come close to meeting what a well-grown outdoor plant can do in terms of yield, it's not even up for discussion the difference is that vast.

I'm a little confused based on your subsequent posts, I'm having a difficult time figuring out your knowledge level well enough to feel like I can help you to the best of my ability. I don't want things to go over your head, so whatever you're not understanding just ask, ok?

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Man your a Godsend...lol. A little like me I guess. I like to learn then pass it on so others can take advantage. BUT...sum of what your saying is chinese to me(no offense to my Asian friends). "wick", 4x4 flood n drain...hf, frog amended, drain to res with top feeding....man I have no clue. I have done countless hours of reading and research and for the most part I just take the common knowlege from multiple sources...if I use miraclegro startup for my veg state and miralegro ultra bloom for flowering would that be sufficient? Mainly I just want my plants to be as healthy as possible so my yields will be substantial. Thanks again.
All the techniques and different nutrient lines might be a little overwhelming for a begginer. So for your 1st run keep it simple. Don't buy miracle grow, as it is an "all around" fertilizer and isn't made for growing a specific plant, To start find a good local Grow store, often times refered to as the hydro stores; they are everywhere just google hydro-store then your location and you'll find a bunch hopefully. 2nd go to the store and tell the guys there a little bit about your set up and ask questions. If their an honest store they'll give you some basics to start from. 3rd Choose a nutrient line, for begginers Advanced Nutrients is a great line to run until you become more experienced; you will be able to grow your whole 1st harvest off of advanced nutrients "Sensi" line which includes a Grow A&B and a bloom A&B, you are going to need all 4 bottles to complete your 1st harvest. These bottles should cost yah about 65-70 bucks. Then just follow the instructions on the label. Other then that your gonna hafta read more about growing and get a few grows under your belt until you can ask more specific questions for us to answer.... I truly hope this helps ya get going and good luck, if ya hav any other questions that are more specific just ask...........Take it easy

ttystikk

ttystikk

Guys, don't send the poor noob into the arms of AN! For chrissakes, even miracle grow is better that that- and I speak from personal experience, not snobbery.

Anything that will do a good job growing tomatoes will be fine for cannabis. PERIOD. People will get picky about harshness if you run too much of any nutrient.

Keep it simple, people- remember, it's just a plant!

G

grnchemist

First off I wanna say thank you to everyone who has taken time from their day to comment and answer questions for me...I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INSIGHT!!!!! Like I said, this is my first grow, and honestly I dont think that its going well so far...im about 17 days in and my biggest plant is about 5 inches tall....the others are anywhere from 1-4 inches (11 total)...I feel like their not getting ample food...Im using Miracle grow organic soil and Organic MG potting mix ( I mixed the two). I water when I notice the soil is dry ontop (learned from a vid I watched). My lighting is 2- 75 watt daylight bulbs incandescent and 2 20" flourescent grow lights from walmart also 75 watts apice. Its a low budget setup until I can get exactly what I need. Im trying to do everything cost efficient for now and slowly build my growroom into one of perfection....any advice on this would be greatly appreciated also. ALL of my knowledge comes from countless hours of reading and watching vids...I actually stumbled across this site trying to research seed banks...(so far no luck) I've found plenty of them, but dont know any reputible ones that are dependable...my first thoughts were to join and find out info from the family in here....As of now I dont know what kind im growing. I acquired a few seeds from a friend so I decided to try and fine tune my skills with these but I plan on ordering sum that will turn out killer:-). Im anxious to perfect this craft:-) I love the whole process of it all. I try to baby my young ladies(hopefully) without doing too much. I guess another question without being vague would be...when do I actually begin to feed my babies the good nutrients that y'all are recommending...I've heard many different things from vids. OH...let me say this I AM NOT THE POLICE...lol. Eventually I will post a few pics once I learn how to navigate the farm....THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Lol your enthusiasm makes me smile, gets me excited all over again for what can sometimes seem like drudgery.

Glad to help- just remember to do your due diligence so that you're building a complete picture of what's going on over time.

Can you take some pics, to see if there's anything apparently out of order with your babies?

G

grnchemist

yes, I'll take sum tomorrow and post them...cant wait to here the advice...any on where to get seeds?

Top Bottom