breeding and pollen chucking in CO

• Thread starter Mr.Sputnik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

So I just ran an open pollination of 2 male Mikado plants on some Mikado (willy jack) and Big Bud (Jordan of the isles) females. Now that I think about it I should have thrown some other genetics in there along with it.

The final plan is to remake one of my favorite strains, (mikado X bigbud) X skunk#1, the bigmac skunk. I've got some unsexed kiwi skunks going at the moment to find the suitors.

So, who else here in CO does their own chucking and breeding? I make sure a hybrid breed comes out of every strain that I buy.

If anyone wats to join in the fun, the open polinations will be happening in a dirt hole under a house. all I really want is the seeds so the plants will be in dirt on an autodrip. mites? whatever! it's cold under there and there's a colony of predator mites, spiders, mantis, ladybugs, ect that do the job. Call it an indoor/outdoor grow if you will. It's all about the seeds.

It's all about new hybrids comming out. I've got some unsexed malawi, tajikstan, NL,..crap I'll just post what male I'm about to drop and if anyone is interested in throwing an elite or a personal favorite in there along with it PM me. I won't clone your genetics, the plant will be fucked in the dirt hole (litteraly). I have way too many already but I do want some of the seeds if that's cool.

Let's make some unique sheeottt!!!

winta

winta

im not in co but u got an ill plan bro! cant wait to see how it turns out!

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I've made a bunch of crosses over the years, but I hate to see the term BREEDER used so loosely, but I see it A LOT. There is a big difference between making a single cross, as opposed to saving the male and using it over and over to do repeated back-crossing, but that is what a breeder does. As far as your plan, the one thing I would worry about is the cold causing your beautiful females to go hermie in the process. I have seen this first-hand, and all the seeds were hermie too. A lot of wasted time and effort. Here is a cross I am working with right now, Serious Seeds AK 47 x Serious Seeds Bubblegum (Male) I've been calling it Bubba 47. Needless to say, it is quite dank, and as a bonus, a HUGE YIELDER!

Sorry for the light in the first two photos...

This was taken at like day 53....

http://i260.invalid.com/albums/ii15/cleopatriot/New%20September/JacknB47.jpg

This is day 14 of 12/12.... you're looking at only 5 plants!

http://i260.invalid.com/albums/ii15/cleopatriot/New%20September/IMG00336.jpg

Here's a closeup Bud Shot....

http://i260.invalid.com/albums/ii15/cleopatriot/Badlands/Test.jpg

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

That's a gnarly bud, Bud... I don't think Sput was calling himself a breeder- thus the "pollen-chucking". Could be something legendary to come out of there...lol. I do agree the environment should be as stress-free as possible.
I like your idea, Sputnik!

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I wasn't trying to address Sput in particular, I have much respect for what he's doing. I just wish certain breeders/seed sellers would quit selling untested crosses for regular prices.... that's not breeding! Rez comes to mind, for starters......

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

it stays in the 60-70 degree range under there with a wing hood, ballast, and furnace under the house. The worst problem I had was mites in the summer. It's actually pretty stress free under there. "under where?" ha, you just said underwear.

I'm no breeder, I understand what kind of work goes into a stabilized line. I'm hybridizing (which is just a fancy name for pollen chucking that seed companies use).

I like for one of the parents to always be either an IBL, landrace (IBL naturally), or a stabilized strain. I've definitely had some genetic washout and hermies from breeding a hybrid into a hybrid into a hybrid, ect, ect.

unique elite clones are RARELY stabilized strains, but that's what we're going for, some godzilla freak from underwear.

F

FoCo

If anyone wats to join in the fun, the open polinations will be happening in a dirt hole under a house. all I really want is the seeds so the plants will be in dirt on an autodrip. mites? whatever! it's cold under there and there's a colony of predator mites, spiders, mantis, ladybugs, ect that do the job. Call it an indoor/outdoor grow if you will. It's all about the seeds.

Cool idea, Sput. I'm going to add you as a friend so I remember to contribute when I've got something thats worthy and ready.

I've made a bunch of crosses over the years, but I hate to see the term BREEDER used so loosely, but I see it A LOT. There is a big difference between making a single cross, as opposed to saving the male and using it over and over to do repeated back-crossing, but that is what a breeder does.

Backcrossing to a single male???

I'd think that that sort of technique would lead to a lot of dead ends since you arent going to find out what specific inheritable traits the male possesses until you've spent months doing multiple back-crosses. And even then, you are limiting your strains potential because you are just cubing the genotype of a single plant(which works fine when you are making an 'IBL' of a proven clone-only, but not so much when you are creating a new strain from an individual plant with an unknown genotype).

In DJ Short's book, he says that he created Blueberry by hybridizing Chocolate Thai with an Afghani, making F2s, then isolating specific traits through incrossing and backcrossing. Its a lot more involved than saving a bunch of pollen from one male and using it for a couple years...

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I've also read that you can delete genes through backcrossing. Mendel gave me "the skinny" on it, open polination, grow those out, seperate into two (or more) seperate gene pools by selecting certain traits, then breed the traits back together down the road to put some hybrid vigor back into the line.

That's why I cross everything with everything so we never get bored of the same old shit! :boogie:

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Backcrossing to a single male???

I'd think that that sort of technique would lead to a lot of dead ends since you arent going to find out what specific inheritable traits the male possesses until you've spent months doing multiple back-crosses. And even then, you are limiting your strains potential because you are just cubing the genotype of a single plant(which works fine when you are making an 'IBL' of a proven clone-only, but not so much when you are creating a new strain from an individual plant with an unknown genotype).

In DJ Short's book, he says that he created Blueberry by hybridizing Chocolate Thai with an Afghani, making F2s, then isolating specific traits through incrossing and backcrossing. Its a lot more involved than saving a bunch of pollen from one male and using it for a couple years...

I used that example because that's a beginning breeders best way to stabilize a cross, thereby making a strain. As an example, I mention Sput's reference to using at least one stabile parent. I believe that's a great technique.

Let's say you grow out 10 seeds of Sensi's Super Skunk. That's a really stable strain, so stable that virtually all the females are the same. So, it stands to reason most of the males are the same, too... breeding true for Super Skunk traits... just because they're males doesn't mean they don't transfer the Super Skunk traits..... so, you take an Elite clone only, let's say a pre-98 Bubba Kush, and cross it to a clone of your Super Skunk male, and take seeds, grow them out, find the one with the traits you like, cross it to the male, again, and again, eventually you get a stabilized strain. And you don't need to save the pollen, you save the actual male plant. You take a clone and cross THAT plant with the selcted female.

I know cubing is a different, more advanced technique, requiring hundreds of plants...... I'm not ready for that, yet.

M

mendel

I would use all the males on the pre 98, then kill them. There is you new line, w heavy selection needed. Backcrossing generally does not work more than 1 time, is unreliable, in fact some good lines have been destroyed w backcrossing. I hear from reliable sources that c-99 was in fact not created by backcrossing, as was told to the masses, but that story well leave for another day.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh shit, now I gotta spend all weekend reading the Breeder's Bible again.......

I like this thread, keep it coming!

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
If anyone wats to join in the fun, the open polinations will be happening in a dirt hole under a house. .........if anyone is interested in throwing an elite or a personal favorite in there along with it PM me. I won't clone your genetics, the plant will be fucked in the dirt hole (litteraly). I have way too many already but I do want some of the seeds if that's cool.

Let's make some unique sheeottt!!!

So basically you're asking me to bring my favorite girl by, leave her there, and then you can fuck her when I'm not around? :party0045:

Not asking for much, are ya Sput? ROFL!!!!!!!

TortureKill

TortureKill

Sounds interesting Sputnik! Keep us updated on the progress.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

let yer sack hang out!

It looks like the first open pollination run is going to be males from either reeferman's panama red or cannabiogen tanskenti (hashplant from uzbekistan). I haven't really decided which one I'm gonna run first.

SO.... if you wanna let my boys sack up and blow their green fluff all over your favorite lady for a seed split it will be going down in a month or so. What I'm trying to say is if you're interested root up your clones in the next couple of weeks. I will dip all clones for PM before they enter the sex dungeon. there is a probable chance of mites, but I keep them at bay with organic sprays. It's all about the seeds so I'll spray them down a week before harvest, I don't care.

The tanskenti will make good breeding stock for a CO outdoor project for next year so maybe I'll start with that one. I've got an excellent G13 cutting of unknown origin that I'm stoked to hit up with the tanskenti.

In the near future I will also have some males from seedsman ata tundra (matanuska X khazakstan). This is another good mountain outdoor breeding stock.

T

TurboAllWD

I wouldn't mind trying my BB3 crossed with Panama Red. It's possible I might get some Taliban Afghan landrace strain with an awesome story behind it. If that happens maybe it would be cool to mix it with Panama Red.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

My afghani came out pretty awesome crossed with thc labs red columbian (red columbian X afghani for you hard heads oh my god look it's a fucking run on sentence).

..I digress..

yes, the panama red is a great choice for an IBL afghani suitor.

I dunno about the BB#3, just because an "elite clone" doesn't really ever breed out very well, hybrid elites are usually an unstable genetic. Not good breeding material from my experience. But hey, fuck it we'll fuck that bitch just to say "we fucked that bitch".

:boogie:

Top Bottom