breeding for dummies 101

• Thread starter soserthc1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
soserthc1

soserthc1

thanks for feedback Tyler - yea i'm like a little kid around christmas time, i really love this shit man... its amazing the way plants grow - i have always been fasinated with flowers plants and there growing tendency's. Even before i started growing i allways had the lawn that everyone stopped and commented on. My pond in my back yard had all the biggest nicest flowers.... so yea i'm stoked .... peace bro

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
good read gents...............got me some sage n sour pollen im working with , dusting a katsu bubba pre98 bubba og kush harlequin and cannalope haze!

B

Bill Bloome

Well,soserthc1,you're on the path.Now just refine the timing between collection and pollination.Storing pollen is a pain;I try to use my collection as soon s possible,however it will stay viable for some time if put in a baby food jar with a dessicant pack in the fridge.I'm crossing some of Jimmys SSH with Mazar;should be an interesting combination.Good luck with your project.

soserthc1

soserthc1

thanks bill bloome - well i tryed the cup method and f-ed it up the roots came out of the ph water and dried up now after flippin my widow this is what i got a big ass dude now what in your humble opionion is the best way and time to catch the pollen . it the widow is currently in my gargage where my veg cab is at , so i dont wanna pollenate the lady's but i really want this pollen - got a tangerine dream and super lemon haze just waiting for some limbs to be pollenated and boy would i love to get my first seeds under my belt, anyone feel free to chime in........ps its currently in a 5gal soil bucket and is three foot tall

White widow male
cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Move that male into a window on the other side of your pad. As soon as some of the pods cluster up and you see that one or a few are about to open cut the branch and put it in water like the last. You can keep the male growing and just let it bust all over but if you do that theres a good chance of contamination. Make sure that you go work on the male plant last every time your working so you dont bring stray pollen into your bloom area. Good luck!

soserthc1

soserthc1

ok got you cannardo - how much light should or do i need to give it per day right now i have it on the other side garage as far away from my veg cabinet with just a led light shining on it... tomo i will try to isolate it somewhere else but its diffacult me being this is a non legal state and i have limited space but i just thought of a good spot. ok question two - the balls just started showing yesterday seven days into flip - what should be my time table now on them hanging and falling or is there really no time table just a watchfull eye... i karma ed you to bro appreciate the info......peace

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Youll probably see them busting in about 2 weeks. Keep a good eye out though b/c it can vary. They dont need much light now and just keep him on the 12/12 regimine you had him on.

soserthc1

soserthc1

ok well i pollinated my plant and after two weeks the one limb is covered in seed pods. a few questions from here. Farmers....ok 1) the seeds will fall out or will they need to be pulled out 2) now i need to grow these seeds out and look for phenos or do these seeds need to be pollenate again ? 3) i pollenated a fem plant will that increase the male - i believe i read this somewhere ? any help as always is appreciated - moving operation to a store front so i can expand on practice and take the fear out of police commin to house.. but ill still be hiding from the police for growing plants wtf

E

E.T.

you will need to harvest the seeds from the pods in about 4-6wks. very easy to do. i prefer to dry my seeded branch(s) like normal and then seperate the seeds from the husk when they have dried. remember that fresh seeds need a curing period of around a month or so before you germinate them....
no need to pollinate the seeds again, they are ready to pheno hunt. if you used male pollen on a female plant then you will have regular seeds that will have both male and females. if you used reversed female pollen on a female plant, you will have feminized seeds.
congrats on your first round of breeding. the real test of a male's potential is in his progeny, so grow them seeds out and see what you get. breeding can be as simple as what you have done, or as complex as trying to isolate certain traits while removing others....don't let people discourage you from furthering your knowledge of this genetic 'game.'

soserthc1

soserthc1

Move that male into a window on the other side of your pad. As soon as some of the pods cluster up and you see that one or a few are about to open cut the branch and put it in water like the last. You can keep the male growing and just let it bust all over but if you do that theres a good chance of contamination. Make sure that you go work on the male plant last every time your working so you dont bring stray pollen into your bloom area. Good luck!
well i polenated my tangerine dream with a male white widow two weeks ago, and the limb is covered in seeds . thinking of calling it creamsickle ..... i am f$%#in stoked thanks for advice fellow farmers.........peace:party0044:

Nutts

Nutts

What happens if a plant is pollenated in it's first week of flower,...my situation is, I found like two seeds on a plant in the room, the plant with the seeds is on day fifty two, the other plants are on day fifteen now, what if some pollen got on the younger ones..will it ruin the entire flowering process? Or would it be worse if it got pollenated four weeks into flower..there were maybe five pistils per plant during the time pollen may have got out..is it very obvious they're pollenated right from the start? Day fifteen and all the hairs are bright white...will they die back early if they get pollenated

R

Reptile

yeah theres a sweet spot for sure.. I prefer to grow a cut just to seed, I sprout 4 females in a 8x3x36 rockwool slab nfill a table with 14" plants shake the hell outta my male while still alive above em for a week, diff slab, diff mommas. 1000 beans+ per plant. I got briefcases full of seeds..

soserthc1

soserthc1

ok so part two of my breeding for dummies post - i pollenated my beautiful plant two limbs of one of my four in 12/12 - follow the directions someone gave me earlier in this thread (sorry cant recall who its was but thanks) all went well im two weeks away from harvest and the two limbs are covered in seeds and the rest of the plant and the other three are fine. - actually got a super lemon haze in there that really pack on some weight (nice strain - really heavy cola's or clusters or buds all over - actually had two tie it up.... well needless that was not the one i pollenate. i pollenate a really stable recent cannabis cup winner with white widow pollen. ok once i collect the seeds 1) will they fall off or will i have to collect them from the limbs - ok without me reading mary jane botany again - walk we thru the stablizing of the new cross - its gonna be called creamsickle - but i might hit it with my og male after i get some cones going - fire away with the info guys/gals

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
I usually let the seeds ride until harvest. That is unless they start dropping...then you might need to pick them. Then ill either let them dry and break up the buds /w seeds to pop them out. Or ill just pop them out when the bud is still wet and then dry the bud out for some butter or shatter or something like that. 6 of one half dozen of the other

T

TreFarmer

I now do a combonation of paper cones/funnels and my screens in a jar.. here is what I have collected on the pollen subject;)
Preserve and gift to the masses;)

soserthc1

soserthc1

Well i would like to thank all of those who contributed to my first breeding project. I am on day four of drying my plant and i just went thru the two limbs that i pollenated, One limb i must not of got much pollen on because i only got seeds from the first one i pollenated but they are beautiful tiger striped seeds (ever try to t9 seeds on your phone it comes up refer on my phone first- just thought i add that - i'm a little baked right now) ok back to the seeds as I stated they are really nice looking seeds tiger striped. I pulled out my jose - bible and checked the seed page and they looked exactly like good refer, i mean seeds actually they had a picture of kali mist seeds and they were identical, ok now peeps pardon my ignorance as i dont live in a state that allows this medicine to be grown freely but one day i will because this is all i wanna do, and i believe i am really good at it. off track again sorry - well so i got about 100 beans from that one limb so my next step is to............ grow them out ? and look for pheno's ? ok feel free to take it from there for me...... I really dont have the time to read clarke's botany book again - i am moving to a single with a nice big yard - addict and spare room on march 16 - so it will be on then --- had to let go of my mom's to big to move - lost a few good momma's but got tons of good beans just waiting to sprout and to really really nice madness plants from hazeman - to start up again , the only mom i really wanted to keep was my lemon skunk - let it go thou got one flowering on day 50 though but lost mango tang dream and my super lemon haze - really hurt cut them down but i rent now and am staying an extra month - so people will be in an out , so had to do it........... sorry about rant ..... help anyone PeAcE.....SOSERTHCEEDS1

Butts4Supper

Butts4Supper

After selecting the male I hit indicas at the 3.5 to 4.5 week mark and sativas at 4 to 5 week point. Seeds need 3 to 6 weeks to develop fully, I prefer to paint a couple bottom branches with pollen over open pollinating, this gives me some beans to play with and some killer 90% to 95% sinsemilla lol.
I use the paint brush route as well, from time to time when I'm lazy I just use a baggie and a twist tie and shake it up then take the bag off after a few hours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom