Breeding Questions

• Thread starter andy107
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Skywalkin420

Hey Skywalkin420 I would figure out your square footage and just set up a "mini" grow room. I personally wouldn't go below a 250w HPS for the bean production but that's me. You want to supply your plants with a full spectrum nute solution so that they are not deprived of anything. Remember that your growing seed not weed this run. I always do backwards planning when it comes to breeding projects. First figure out your goal, which you seem to have, then figure out how to get to that point. You don't want to skimp on anything just because it's a seed run not a bud run. Though I have still vaped buds that were de-seeded for there are still glands to be had. You can also do an ice hash run with the material after dry/cure/harvesting your seeds.

I guess before I fill your thread with letters I'll stop here.lol

no way all the help your throwing all of us is very helpful, nice to have another patient on here that is doing what i want to do. i totally agree tho ive had this goal ever since i found those seeds at a local collective finally i will be able to see what happens with this. think i will go see how much 250 watt lamp is and set it up the the closet. might even get a 400 w who knows i want these seeds to be succesful in germinating. id like to one day see this variety flourish it has done wonders for me i can only imagine what it would do if others got their hands on a stabilized version. i usually make edibles out of all of my leaf and trim but have been thinking about some ice extraction bags lately i love having a nice black chunk of hash, but im writing a letter on here now as well lol thanks for the advice crombien211

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
No doubt bro I totally understand what your sayin. I would definitely use a T5 for the seedlings till about 12" tall then maybe a small wattage metal halide for better vegging. A 400 watt lamp might make them grow a bit too fast for your space and create a lot of heat, that is unless you vent the hood so the heat is never really in there. Also you have to take your strains into consideration that you are breeding with.

Example:
Let's say that you want to do a basic cross of a short, stout,gland covered female indica and a soaring strong sativa male OR visa versa. This is a common beginning of a breeding project from "scratch". Now this is a great combo because chances are you will do a few things here. You will either add some of the height to the female, shortness to the male, glands on the sativa pheno and so on.

Now you have to take into account the way that these opposite strains grow. Some might even have trouble with having only one breeding room due to size of plants to be used. For instance a tall sativa will shadow a squat indica, robbing it of the lumens it needs.

So take things like this into account BEFORE your begin.

Cheers,
Crom

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Sorry Andy107 if I write too much...

A

andy107

im working with this space 3 feet wide 2 1/2 feet deep and 4 feet tall

If it were me id try and fit at least a 250 in there man..I have a 2' 4 bulb T5 lamp and its great for veg! i flowered with it once and didnt have bad results but i think your gonna want that HPS especially if you want to make good seeds. :smiley_joint:

Sorry Andy107 if I write too much...
Not at all man, I was thinkin maybe we could sticky this thread and have it be kinda like a Q&A of the breeding section..rather than always makin new threads for new questions

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
That's a thought. I actually started a thread for "The best breeding information" I was hoping people would run with it with minimal effort from me but I was wrong lol. I started it at a bad time. But yeah bro I'm down. If Farmers ask the questions I know the answers to I'll definitely share what I know. Otherwise you saw, I'll talk through an 8 week flower period lol

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

I use 85w Flourex Floodlights, three of them for my breeding plants. Covers about a 3x5 area just fine, i was using two but added one more for good measure. If i dust a plant under these lights the seeds actually mature just as fast as when i dust for seeds under a M.H. or HPS... but the buds themselves take MUCH much longer to mature, like a few weeks. If your looking to just make seeds and your not worried about making hash or having that teeny amount of smoke off the plant, id go this route. I dust around week 3, harvest seeds bout a month later. The size of the plant, dosnt really have much bearing, you can always hack a plant down, its more about the timing of dropping the pollen, anyway. Best of Luck. There is nothing more exciting then smoking your own creation.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
I would agree that you can probably use something other then a HID light. As far as size goes I would still try to keep smaller plants in a space that small. I usually just do a single cola plant for ease of control. I usually put my girls in first and let them flower for about 2 weeks then I introduce the male to the flower room and let him do his thing. I don't let him just bust his pollen all over either I usually take them somewhere cozy. lol

But yeah DWB is right that the timing is key. You need to allow your females enough time to mature the seeds before their life cycle completes, or you chop.

Top Bottom