Breeding Tips from DJ Short - 2002

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TreFarmer

Great Info, I have some info to add. In 1993, I was given 30 seeds of, what was labeled "Rusky Hash". I assume it was an early cross between some Ruderalis and I grew a few off and on for a couple years, and all five turned out the same. Short, moderately wide leaves, dense budding, and sugar coated. I don't remember the flavor especially or the effect, however I do see how the potential for Ruderalis genetics could be beneficial when faced with space concerns, or maybe for early flowering.

T

TreFarmer

I should have "" the "Ruderalis".
Next thought on establishing a sweet spot...
If you have a landrace variety of genetics, say Mazar i Sharif. Known to be grown in a certain region, altitude, etc. (i.e. landrace variety) Could you use an Almanac from the region of origin to determine the light cycle around the time of it's natural flower and tweak from there? This would give a good starting point indoor, once figured out this genetics can be peddled to other regions with the same environment for outdoor. You would find the longitude best suited, then do more almanac (for light cyc., humidity, elevation, etc.) research (of areas of interest) to find your sweet spot for that variety.

S

sour diesel man

dj short knows there stuff !! ive orderd many a seed from these guys, and im about to try some of there auto flower strains . worth while seedbreeder..check em out !

jyip

jyip

Something akin to a gymnasium building with high ceilings and super 5000W lights hung far from the growing plants, set at a Sativa-tweaked photoperiod, would be the ultimate indoor grow-op to coax Sativa phenotypes.

imagine doing a huge MPB grow like DD's has done, BUT with an indoor pool in a gymnasium w/the lights n stuff described in the paste?? one indoor inground pool for each "TREE"... maybe get 40lbs offa one plant if its a two year sativa

on the serious side though, lots of great info there
thank you.
i only have used HPS lighting and find the time periods for the sat vs. indy flower n veg cycles interesting, the angle too, i noticed that sativa chateristics did seem to flourish more on the edge of angle area of grow ( center single 1k hps over a 4 x 4 tray ) with sativa stretch , long snow white pistils and nicer taste

aleYarok

aleYarok

learn something new each day... wish there was more info like this

clandestino

clandestino

Has anybody experienced "backward hermaphrodites" as explained in dj shorts's book i have a male like this and i would like more info on the subject?

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Very good to know can use now with a sativa I am growing with the light schedule. thanks!!

S

sweetbee

TexasKid_ Gracias Amigo : Great info to share with the other farmers ,,,
Blessings, Sweetbee

E

El Paz

I dont think its about mh or hps, its more to do with the spectrums of light of course. The hps bulbs nowadays have much much wider spectrum than they had a few years ago ;)

T

TheCheshireCat

what about using say like a photography light track... manfrotto has a bunch of photography tracks that will hold a 5+lbs light easy

Ausgunja23

Ausgunja23

I fully understand this as when i cloned this one plant i had recently. I grew the clones in different places and one grew more with an Indica trait and the other more sativa traits.. I have pictures on hand somewhere of both plants and will put them up tonight..

Great Thread Texas

peace--prove

Muckman420

Muckman420

What about running 2 1000Wt one MH the other HPS at the same time during flowering? I have both bulbs, I'll get another hood if it makes my girls taste better.

On my first run ever, King Louie XIII OG, started from clones about 6 inches tall, they are already over a foot tall. I'm using a 1000Wt MH and a 150Wt HPS for now and I was gonna change the 1000Wt during flowering, so would using both produce flavorful big buds? Rather than changing bulbs?

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

I would love to read a book by dj or Jorge or Richard that's current and addresses evolved ideas and filters out all the methods known to be obsolete....so much unstudied pot stuff out there, we should be rolling in the cannabis studies soon with laws changing every day

SpiderK

SpiderK

There are no pictures of him online1. There are no videos. Unlike several prominent cultivators, DJ Short, arguably the most skillful and creative American cannabis breeder of the last 40 years, has never embedded himself with a film crew from Vice magazine.2 He does teach the occasional class at the Medical Cannabis Caregivers Institute in Pasadena, and he appears sometimes at cannabis rallies and festivals, but you really have to know what you’re looking for to catch a glimpse of DJ Short. He doesn’t have a website. His Internet presence consists of a handful of long comments on the weed-culture site International Cannagraphic, where he drops in from time to time to tell stories about his decades in the trade and to interact with fans who’ve smoked his stuff: Blueberry, a ubiquitous, lavender-tinted strain of weed that actually does smell like fresh blueberries; Flo; Blue Velvet; Koko Kush; Azure Haze; Whitaker Blues; Vanilluna. These are specialty plants, the weed equivalent of high-end wines, bred not for volume production or elevated THC content but instead for rich aromas and interesting highs. The entry for Blueberry in the Urban Dictionary reads: “The most wonderful form of marijuana to date. … Although it is not the most powerful, it will still knock you on your ass.” According to High Times, which has honored Short with a spot in its Seed Bank Hall of Fame, Blueberry and the rest represent an “arsenal of great ganja genetics.”

“These kids right now, with butane,” he said, switching subjects to the current fad for “dabs,” super-concentrated pastes of hash oil made by soaking herb in butane. Light the dab with a blowtorch, inhale the vapor, get fucked up fast — a quintessential black-market high. The black market values THC at the expense of all else: complexity, mystery, longevity. Dabs are 70 to 90 percent THC. One popular strain of contemporary pot called Girl Scout Cookies is 21 percent THC. Short said, “The herbs I’m trying to replicate, which I don’t think I’ve done yet — I don’t know if I ever will — they were just head and shoulders above what we’re smoking now. Very clear-headed, no burnout to them whatsoever. They were 7 percent THC. So something else was going on.”

http://grantland.com/features/a-trip-hempfest-pioneering-cannabis-breeder-dj-short/

Latest posts

Top Bottom