Breeding with a male that hermies

• Thread starter justblazen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

justblazen

Active Farmer
Hi Fellow farmers,
I just wanted to get some input from you all. I have been reading that some males will shoot out female pistils, and that many breeders use these males to breed. I heard the female offspring can be quite potent
and males of this nature can be considered keepers. Any input would be appreciated. I am looking to hear from people who have done this, and have seen the results from the offspring that was created. Was the offspring prone to hermie as well?? thanks in advance

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Thanks for replying bro. I've been reading and many others have mentioned a holy grail male that threw out female pistils.
Im sure there is some exceptions to the rule, always is. one way to be at the forefront..

J

justblazen

Active Farmer
Sounds pretty risky 2 me.. A hermie trait will result from using a hermie plant..

Yeah bro that was my first thought until i read of well know breeders using these types of males. Its interesting...

J

justblazen

Active Farmer
I used a Sensi Star male that did this years ago, offspring was mostly male so i avoid pistil throwing males at all cost. I didn't see any hermie tendencies in the females that showed up.

Good to hear about the females. Did you notice the girls being more potent than normal male offspring?

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

breeders do weird things such as remove first ones to show sex and last male to show sex all different feels and signs. I have no idea anything about it but will be taking a male to f5 f6 and hitting to all my females in the next couple years.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Yeah bro that was my first thought until i read of well know breeders using these types of males. Its interesting...

Which breeders did this, I would very much like to know. I have to agree, it just doesn't sound like a good idea. If there is the genetic coding to cause hermaphrodite plants, that gene will be passed on; not to all offspring but enough to make me question the seeds, there is no way to determine which plants got the hermie gene without growing them out.

J

justblazen

Active Farmer
I have read on other forums that DJ short mentions males with these traits could be jewels. Again this is all from internet research, so it might not be accurate. I'm gonna try it out on one plant and flower out the offspring to see if our gut instincts are correct.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

What help me understand this for myself as far as supplying myself with a peace of mind... Instead of saying hermie use or consider the term intra sexual ... Meaning the ability to grow both female and male reproductive parts.... The next part is my own belief I'm sure there is a scientific explanation but the way I understand it is these plant are self preservist they procreate for survival... So anything threatening their survival triggers a cycle of evolution....there are many triggers but there are also many factors that disable this instinct to create offspring that can withstand the threat of extinction or stressor... Many sativas are hermaphroditic because they are grown in environments that are nt what they evolved in. SOMETiMes no males around will stress the plant as well . If my post is not too salty I don't mind sharing more if want justblazen

J

justblazen

Active Farmer
What help me understand this for myself as far as supplying myself with a peace of mind... Instead of saying hermie use or consider the term intra sexual ... Meaning the ability to grow both female and male reproductive parts.... The next part is my own belief I'm sure there is a scientific explanation but the way I understand it is these plant are self preservist they procreate for survival... So anything threatening their survival triggers a cycle of evolution....there are many triggers but there are also many factors that disable this instinct to create offspring that can withstand the threat of extinction or stressor... Many sativas are hermaphroditic because they are grown in environments that are nt what they evolved in. SOMETiMes no males around will stress the plant as well . If my post is not too salty I don't mind sharing more if want justblazen
Really I don't know the correct term Caveman, but I've had a male throw a few pistils towards the top of one branch and the rest of the plant having male pollen sacs. I've read these types of males have recessive genes, and the female it hits will dominate the cross. All of your knowledge is welcome bro.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I have read on other forums that DJ short mentions males with these traits could be jewels. Again this is all from internet research, so it might not be accurate. I'm gonna try it out on one plant and flower out the offspring to see if our gut instincts are correct.
when I grew my Ewok,
I swear I saw Female Preflowers on a couple that turned out later to be males..
:confused:
I thought I must be crazy...till now....;)

Now, I know I had a couple males that were Hermi early on..!!:p
Big huge males

I used that pollen in my F2's!! :woot:

Getting all females so far!!!!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Cool.... So I'll go from here then... The only male I have used in this scenario was a male already chosen to breed with this male was grown out beautiful I'm talking dialing in on a male grow ;^).... Anyhow since male pollen was expected to be everywhere an experiment was in the making ... No cuts were taken and a great breeder wanted a cut not pollen so ant attempt was made to reveg outside this can be done with a ton of nitrogen without burning the plant in the past this had worked but this specific plant budded non seeded nuggs at the end of each branch.....rippleys believe it or not

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

And willing to share and open to criticism and you can even call me a liar but what you can not do is tell me that I've never seen it done.....

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

That is the only plant to only grow both male and female but not together. Whole plant male with seedless nuggs with no nanners at the tip of each branch. Simmer in that loveliness.

Top Bottom