Breeding With Another Breeder's Gear.

• Thread starter FiveAM
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MeJuana

MeJuana

Well we should boycott any breeder who gets a patent because that is the same corporate greed that's been holding cannabis back.

KushestOG

KushestOG

Old thread I know but I'm researching this subject and came across it and thought I'd chime in.
I want to talk about the success or Berner and Girl scout cookies. He is praised for the gsc strain but it is a cross using OG Kush which isn't an original strain. He did use Durban poison which is a landrace strain but he technically used someone else's work by using og kush.
What is everyone's opinion on this?

707seedbank

707seedbank

Supporter
Old thread I know but I'm researching this subject and came across it and thought I'd chime in.
I want to talk about the success or Berner and Girl scout cookies. He is praised for the gsc strain but it is a cross using OG Kush which isn't an original strain. He did use Durban poison which is a landrace strain but he technically used someone else's work by using og kush.
Don't quote me on this but I think Berner was the hype man behind gsc and has nothing to do with breeding it.
As for when does a strain become yours. For me as soon as you purchased it. Out of respect you should give the person credit if you do decide to use their genetics in your own projects

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

If you cross two different strains then you have created something new. It may not be different enough to claim it, but it is different and new.
If you cross two plants of different species, then you for sure are creating something new and I doubt anyone would challenge it.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking. If you claim a first cross as yours, you might be legally correct, but morally wrong.
Which would you rather be? Right or Returd?

Treecutter

Treecutter

Here's a couple wrenches for the gears.
This has already been going on for a while now. The sad thing is, companies are filing on old strains that are not even their strain which leaves everyone liable.

As with the worry of Monsanto, there is already a company that has stolen over 100 known strains and has place proprietary markers in them. Big Pharma couldn't beat it so why not own it? So be careful wishing it goes legal at the federal level in the USA. We all know who funds the Republicans and Democrats national committee.

I believe it will get back to a point that breeders will stop listing the cross for fear of liability.

So my advice would be;
You better be breeding and buying and building your own seed banks because at some point I believe we will all be in the underground once again. Its pretty simple to see in states where it is legal the political view is changing to take it away from you and I and give it all to the corporations.

Those of us that helped get the farm bill through for hemp got to see the dirty crap thats was done:
Change to the class 1 substance act to classify any part of cannabis being classified as a class 1 substance in effort to shut down the CBD market because 1 pharma company has s patent on a med that uses CBD.
E comerace companies threatened with federal charges for processing payments for CBD items which caused hundreds of companies thousands of dollars when all their credit card processing got pulled.

This just came out from the governors office in Michigan. It doesn't say anything about protecting the peopkes right to grow:

This administrative change will help Michigan continue to lead the country in its approach to cannabis by growing the hemp and marijuana economies, creating jobs, and investing in local communities,” said CRA Executive Director Andrew Brisbo. “The new CRA will pick up where the MRA left off – continuing to establish Michigan as the national model for a REGULATORY program that stimulates BUSINESS GROWTH while preserving safe CONSUMER ACCESS to cannabis.”
Say goodbye to those caregiver and cultivators grow licenses unless the people start educating their self and showing up to the fight.

So one of my 22 cft freezer isn't full of food. Everything from African, Thailand Vietnamese, Cambodian. Pakistan, Afghanistan and all my favorite breeders. Dont be the starving grasshopper, be the ant.

20220411 115215
firemanelaflare

firemanelaflare

Questions for the breeders .

When does a strain become mine? At what point in my breeding does a strain I grew from your beans that I'm chucking pollen to become my strain?

NO troll, just a conversation to get things straight in my world. Thanks for anyone who checks in with an answer.
To be honest then days is dead the many you buy a pack or recieve a clone it’s yours but i guess an outcross hunted male but the old rules mean shit now

firemanelaflare

firemanelaflare

Here's a couple wrenches for the gears.
This has already been going on for a while now. The sad thing is, companies are filing on old strains that are not even their strain which leaves everyone liable.

As with the worry of Monsanto, there is already a company that has stolen over 100 known strains and has place proprietary markers in them. Big Pharma couldn't beat it so why not own it? So be careful wishing it goes legal at the federal level in the USA. We all know who funds the Republicans and Democrats national committee.

I believe it will get back to a point that breeders will stop listing the cross for fear of liability.

So my advice would be;
You better be breeding and buying and building your own seed banks because at some point I believe we will all be in the underground once again. Its pretty simple to see in states where it is legal the political view is changing to take it away from you and I and give it all to the corporations.

Those of us that helped get the farm bill through for hemp got to see the dirty crap thats was done:
Change to the class 1 substance act to classify any part of cannabis being classified as a class 1 substance in effort to shut down the CBD market because 1 pharma company has s patent on a med that uses CBD.
E comerace companies threatened with federal charges for processing payments for CBD items which caused hundreds of companies thousands of dollars when all their credit card processing got pulled.

This just came out from the governors office in Michigan. It doesn't say anything about protecting the peopkes right to grow:

This administrative change will help Michigan continue to lead the country in its approach to cannabis by growing the hemp and marijuana economies, creating jobs, and investing in local communities,” said CRA Executive Director Andrew Brisbo. “The new CRA will pick up where the MRA left off – continuing to establish Michigan as the national model for a REGULATORY program that stimulates BUSINESS GROWTH while preserving safe CONSUMER ACCESS to cannabis.”
Say goodbye to those caregiver and cultivators grow licenses unless the people start educating their self and showing up to the fight.

So one of my 22 cft freezer isn't full of food. Everything from African, Thailand Vietnamese, Cambodian. Pakistan, Afghanistan and all my favorite breeders. Dont be the starving grasshopper, be the ant.

Amen in breeding as we speak

Treecutter

Treecutter

Look at seed banks like growers choice. They brand it as theirs but the buy wholesale from Spain. Its all copy cat strains or regulars bought from the original breeder and bred for resale.

Wonder if there was any thanks or recognition for the first cut of wedding cake? That pheno was found in triangle kush and was a cut. Dont think the wedding cake seeds I bought came from the original cut.

Look at gg4 how many copies of that are out there and don't even come close to the original glue. Try to find a true white widow now days, it don't even taste the same. Landrace strains crack me up.

Very rare the banks or companies actually have a true landrace. If you've had true landrace seeds, get ready to grow that strain for years pheno hunting it. Most are bred into something else to give it better bud structure and then sold as the landrace not mentioning what they crossed into it.

Before seed banks became a thing in the USA, your seeds would come in with codes on them so only you could identify them. Rarely did they added the breeders nam. I've probably got over 30 strains in the freezer like this from over 15 years ago.

When I'm breeding, I want F1"s or F2's. I want the IBL just to keep pure to its design for my collection or for a Photoperiod cross into an auto. Doing one of them now.

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

Isn't original glue aka gg#4 just that ?
2 strains by different breeders thrown together ? Hard to think of more successful strain.
Nope. GG#4 was created by Josey Wales and Lone Watty, when Josey was growing 3 different strains. Sour Dub,Chems Sister, Chocolate Diesel.
It was created by mistake. The Chems Sis Hermied and he took it as loss but saved some of the cross pollinated beans. Like 8 years later Lone Watty and Josey Wales were doing a grow together. And Lone told Josey yo I still have those beans from that hermie a few years ago. Well they popped 6 saved like 4 more and bamn you got GG#4 now known as Original Glue. Due to Copyright laws.
GG #4 is my all time favorite strain next to Chemdog.
RIP Josey Wales

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

When does a strain become mine? At what point in my breeding does a strain I grew from your beans that I'm chucking pollen to become my strain?

NO troll, just a conversation to get things straight in my world. Thanks for anyone who checks in with an answer.
The strain becomes yours the day you bought it. If you are just copying without a goal or improving it or preserving it then you are like a puppy mill, it's unethical not to credit the source or make shit up. They may have years involved and a lot of time and money where as the buyer has the work done for him already and is only in the position due to the origal breeders efforts.

Treecutter

Treecutter

Nope. GG#4 was created by Josey Wales and Lone Watty, when Josey was growing 3 different strains. Sour Dub,Chems Sister, Chocolate Diesel.
It was created by mistake. The Chems Sis Hermied and he took it as loss but saved some of the cross pollinated beans. Like 8 years later Lone Watty and Josey Wales were doing a grow together. And Lone told Josey yo I still have those beans from that hermie a few years ago. Well they popped 6 saved like 4 more and bamn you got GG#4 now known as Original Glue. Due to Copyright laws.
GG #4 is my all time favorite strain next to Chemdog.
RIP Josey Wales
And that is exactly correct. Due to the trade mark issues was the name changed. They only licensed originally 3 people to grow it and I think before he died there were 8. There were very few seed sales to the public. At the time of his death in 2020 they were working on quite a few more glue strains.

People don't understand their odds of picking out the phenos the original breeder picked out of the first 5 generations would be like winning the PowerBar. You can cross the same genetic lines trying to copy a cross, but if you and your brother married two sisters it would be completely ignorant to believe your kids would be the same.

Top left Orignal glue seed pack.

20220307 150557

Last edited:
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I don't know, maybe we should delete any thread over 6 months so no one has a source for history.

History is fine, replying to a person who created a thread 6 years ago does what aside from necroing an old useless thread?

Fruity.Guy

Fruity.Guy

To be a strain, something has to be relatively true from seed. Cannabis is never really true from seed compared to crops like most grain crops, yet there is a reasonable expectation that the most important attributes of the mother and come through in the offspring If you are crossing together different strains, then it will take a few generations of saving seeds and selecting desirable ones to stabilize the strain. Theoretically, 7 generations of saving seeds from the same parent will very likely result in a true to type variety, but by the 4th or 5th generation the genetics may be fairly stabilized.

In the broader world of all plant breeders (not just cannabis) there is a growing consensus that it not that fair to create a new variety from any 2 parents. If you did use only 2 parents, then you should be giving part of your royalties to the breeders of the two varieties you used...or in other words you don't wholly own a variety if you only used 2 varieties. In Cannabis there are no royalties, I just want to use that as an example of what some breeder's think..

In cannabis catalogs it's quite common to see names that are actually the names of the two parents used. In my mind that a very reasonable thing to do. It gives tributes to the original parents and is kind of like not taking full credit for making something new. It also gives people some idea of what the plant will be like to people who know the strains. In those cases, the breeder found a good combo and selected something new.

In my opinion, using 3 or more different strains in crosses and then stabilizing the strain would be worthy of calling it your own strain.

GYOweed

GYOweed

For a clone? When you take a cut of something you like from seed and call it w.e the f you want. Doesn't mean anyone cares, but it's yours.
For seeds anything you chuck from non-clones (anyone like copyshmucks can fudge two clones with sts) that is genetically unique technically is also yours, it's probably trash, but yours.
IMO however, if you take the time to chuck but also TEST to harvest and you have a stable or good pattern of health, and some lab tested example🔥
then you're good to go, it's worth what someone is WILLING to pay for it.
I can't believe some of the bs i read before lol so if someone takes two tested heirlooms and F1s them, tests the progeny it's still not considered a strain even to someone? Go look at what people are selling for over 10 bux a seed lol

R

ritoMox

If that breeder was your original source, then that breeder should ALWAYS be given credit for being your original source. It's not just about giving credit where credit is due, but also being able to keep proper tabs on the line. Edit: In the case of commercial greed, what Treecutter said: Post #26

Last edited:
Top Bottom