brewing

• Thread starter vaporedout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vaporedout

vaporedout

so im going to start brewing tea and i had a few questions. i will be using an aquarium pump alongside a 5 gal bucket. i drilled a hole the size of the tubing right under the lid area on the bucket, so i can use a lid. the tubing fits perfectly, just snug enough to be tight but not enough to restrict air flow.

first off, what can i use to weigh down my airstones? i have a pump that has 2 outlets so im using a disc on one then just a regular airstone on the other. i was thinking about using fishing weights but im not sure if that will effect the water(not sure if theyre lead weights or what). the hose fits perfectly through a leader so i could clip on weights easy. what about waterproof tape?

second, do i need to cover it when im brewing? does it need to be a tight seal or just a lid set on top. the reason i ask is because if i were to completely close the lid do i need to drill a hole somewhere to let the 5gal breathe? i know its a small pump but i figure a good amount of pressure would build up in the bucket.

thanks, ill be searching through the tea threads here so if you know or have a good one, post the link and ill read through it.......

-vape

vaporedout

vaporedout

here it is
DSC00493
DSC00494
DSC00495

waayne

waayne

Great idea on the fishing weights vaporedout
Those should work quite well......

Here's some of my ghetto ingenuity for ya'll

My plants seem to like the iron from this rusty old hammer that I use to weigh down my micropore diffuser when brewing......

As you can see,I'm into hi-tech :)
IMG 9449

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Hey vaporedout, brewing tea is the way to go. Glad to see you jumpin on that train. Been nothin but good for me. Lotsa good recipe's out there, from super simple to way complex.
I don't know if it affects you, but I did want to remind you of the hazards from having your air pump lower than your water level. If power is off or fails, there is a chance of reverse syphon, which could be a mess of tea on your floor. Just a reminder, best of luck with your brews.:)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Great idea on the fishing weights vaporedout

Those should work quite well......

Here's some of my ghetto ingenuity for ya'll

My plants seem to like the iron from this rusty old hammer that I use to weigh down my micropore diffuser when brewing......

As you can see,I'm into hi-tech :)
View attachment 304133
A mallet WILL weight it all down quite nicely. Hey! Nice clogs. :D
nice clogs waayne!
LMAO! I'm gonna get myself a pair now. I love slip-on shoes. Sandals in summer, of course.

K

kushsmoker30

why not get bigger heavier air stones?
mine never float, also major X2 on tha pump being lower then the water level....shits happened to me a few time in a res, if u for any reason u unplug the air pump pull the stones out be4 u do

vaporedout

vaporedout

yeah i moved the pump.. now another question..... my recipe is still simple, molasses, EWC, and just added alfalfa... since the addition of alfalfa, i noticed it gets really foamy. i saw other peoples threads and noticed the same thing... do i want to save that foam? i rigged my bucket lid with a hose for venting, but i noticed it worked good with the foam, i used an old vinegar bottle to catch the foam but that filled up quickly, so i just put the hose into the tub.... if i dont need the excess foam , i can just leave it like this, if not ill get somethin bigger...
DSC00516

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
there are heavy airstones that will sink on their own. Industrial strength sticky back velcro works well too.

Your pump needs to be above the water line. You don't want the water siphoning back through the pump if it turns off for some reason.

vaporedout

vaporedout

why not get bigger heavier air stones?
$$

had these from a tank, so i thought id use them, plus i already had the fishing weights.....

Your pump needs to be above the water line. You don't want the water siphoning back through the pump if it turns off for some reason.

it sits on top of the bucket when brewing, i just took it off the top for the pic..... is that way ok or does it need to be higher up?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mash the foam down somehow, those are nutrients you're losing down the drain. Look up foam fractionation.

Top Bottom