Brita water filter??

• Thread starter bigloudvtwin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bigloudvtwin

Anyone know if one of those Brita water filters you put on your faucet would clean out the chlorine? It's a real pain in the ass for me to fill up buckets and let them sit overnight so I can change out my juice (12 gallons).

urbanfog

urbanfog

First..... I know only what has worked for me.

I let my water sit 1-2 hours with aeration, then ph

or

Fish tank chlorine remover also works I have heard, but I havent used it.

B

bigloudvtwin

First..... I know only what has worked for me.

I let my water sit 1-2 hours with aeration, then ph

or

Fish tank chlorine remover also works I have heard, but I havent used it.

I used the fish tank stuff (Aquasafe) on my first batch of nutes but my clones got burnt. Don't know if it was that or just too much nutes for juvy plants.
I'll try the aeration thing on my next batch. Thanx

J

Jsän

yes the brita will remove Chlorine. i used one for awhile.
Be prepared to provide the trace minerals yourself.
I was not, and ended up with a bad sulfur deff.
poor WWidow.

Now i use one of those Homedic bubble bath spas (thrift store 8$) to aerate. 5min gasses the chlorine out. The thing is powerful to say the least.

In Science, when they want things free of Chlorine they use ascorbic acid (vitamin c).
I have seen hose attachments that have a VitC core for this purpose. I have always wondered what the community thinks about the use of it.
we know that it will "temporarily" lower PH but, beyond that, i havent seen enough data. (the STANFORD paper i saw with lettuce/ascorbic acid, was flawed. as they did not account for the PH change. ..)

Sorry for rambling again farmers. you know how it is though. new grower, full of 'big' ideas. =p

Greens.

B

Bezy

Get a Small Boy from Hydrologic, works great for me, cost way less then an RO system and it does a 1 GPM

C

chillyb

I'm in the same boat, and have been doing the 48 hr sit out thing for awhile now. But I've read recently that most municipalities have switched from plain ole chlorine, to a new version called chloromine, spelling? Which the above method does NOTHING to remove. Not boiling, using additives, etc will remove it. So, I'm investing in "Tall boy/Small boy" R/O system asap. Good luck.

S

smokestack23

If you are doing a sterile hydro system vs one that's inoculated with benes, just leave the chlorine or chloramine right in the water. Saves on the Zone and bleach lol.

PEACE

B

Badmf

False to believe chorine is an enemy, it is in the high doses but in hydro high P levels will stop most microherds from doing much good other than costing ya. It goes dormant and some chorine is needed by the plant too!
The RO systems, as explained remove damn near everything and most nute brands don't formulate for it. So you will have defs quickly. A problem you caused with good intentions!
Chormines can be removed with Vitamin C and Sunshine a little aeration and voila, lower levels. I wonder why peeps with farms don't filter their water? They know its safe enough for crops. Now some folks will swear by going to serious extremes to get everything out but some of that is what the plant needs! Now you have an additional expense and headache if you don't add back the right amounts!! Remember white bread has bran removed and then its enriched to "add" back the lost minerals/vitamins!Soil growers should pay more attention to high chorine/choramine levels as microherds in organics are essential! So if you use mych. F and Lacto B. think about how you adjust "before" you add or subtract anything. Check out a cheaper better solution! Peace Bad...

Top Bottom