Brown Algae Questions

• Thread starter MonsterRobot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

The other day I noticed that the water in my UC was a bit mirky and had some strange chunks floating around it. There was a bit of filmy buildup around the uniseals and some gunk right above the water level of the epicenter and the airstones were covered in some gunk also... The roots aren't covered with the brown slime that I have seen in the pics so I am not sure if that is the problem...

After doing some searching on here I think it might be the start of brown algae...

I am running Ionic grow, DM Zone, and Rapid Start from GH and my res temp is never above 67F... I figured that Zone would keep this brown shit away (if it is brown algae that is)...

Basically my question to you guys is what worked best for people that had to deal with this?

Also, did your water smell like a fishtank when you got the slime or do I possibly have something different?

I was probably going to discontinue the zone and use Heisenbergs tea recipe since I have all of the needed ingredients... Has anyone used this and had success?

Thanks,
MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

http://www.invalid.com/dwc-bubbleponics/361430-dwc-root-slime-cure-aka.html

Here is a link to this tea even tho it is on a few threads in the UC section here at the farm...

G

GeneticFreak

I used that tea when I got the brown slimes and it works great. Except for the fact that you constantly need to brew tea. That didn't work for my schedule so I went with a product called subdue maxx. That made a foamy mess so I switched to h2o2 and zone.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

I used that tea when I got the brown slimes and it works great. Except for the fact that you constantly need to brew tea. That didn't work for my schedule so I went with a product called subdue maxx. That made a foamy mess so I switched to h2o2 and zone.

That is the one thing that I wasn't sure about with the tea... I was hoping to not have to brew it all the time...

You adding H2O2 every day? Dosage?

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

The tea works wonders Cleared a case of the slime up really nice in a dwc of mine. You have to brew but it's easy and cheap

G

growgrow

i had a brown slime liek that in my topoff.... when you scrape it off, does it float around like a big brown loogie? i run 2 ml per gal 35% h202 every 4 days and 1 mlpg zone every 8 days or so.... ive only had the prob in my topoff so i'm confident that it would work w/ urs. Wish u luck..

Grow!

G

gettogro

EWC tea for the sure win. Then you can switch back to zone or h202 after a full recovery.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

Thanks guys,
I am brewing the tea right now and going to use that for a while until it clears up... then it is back to the zone and h202...

Zone will kill all the bennies in the tea right? I really need to discontinue the zone while using the tea yeah?

G

GeneticFreak

Yeah. If fact u need to get it all out the best u can. I flushed first with straight ro and changed that out then nutes with tea. Give the tea a couple weeks to fully clear it out. You'll notice nice white roots!

smokie

smokie

Has anyone brewed the tea directly in the Epi, it seems like the perfect brewer and it would be alot less work just cut the ingredients by whatever amount since it will be applying directly to the UC.

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
Has anyone brewed the tea directly in the Epi, it seems like the perfect brewer and it would be alot less work just cut the ingredients by whatever amount since it will be applying directly to the UC.

Though the Epi is a turbulent, aerated love bucket....it's really most practical to brew outside the system and add as needed.

A fair amount of sedimentation can occur during the brew cycle which could lend toward complications down the road if conditions allowed.

smokie

smokie

Well that answers that. Love bucket HaHa Good One! :)
Thanks UCHQ

Top Bottom