Brown rust spots on leaves

• Thread starter Lnp32
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lnp32

Lnp32

Hi guys,

Growing 1 autoflower in a 2ft x 2ft tent.
Im in week 5 of growth and started the plant in bio bizz all mix.
Enough nutrients in soil to take it up until week 4 so gave a top dress of ecothrive life cycle and seaweed powder from guanokalong. Every other water ive used the microbial tea by ecothrive called biosys. I dechlorinate my water using ecothrive neutralise which is concentrated vitamin c to remove chlorine and chloramine from the tap water. I usually give the plant 3 litres of water and thats usually enough to soak the medium with a drop of run off out the bottom. Yesterday i gave 3 tsp of bat guano (1.10.1 ) by guanokalong as id estimate the plant is roughly in the second week of flower as its an auto flower its harder to guage.
Im growing in a 3 gallon pot and haven't ph’d the water since starting the grow as its in soil and im using organic dry amendments.
Everything’s been going well but ive noticed these brown rust spots on my plant and not sure what causing it. Its on a few of the mid section fan leaves but ive noticed it spreading to some of the upper sugar leaves now.
Its either something ive feed it or could be ph issue or maybe the fact that one day i let the soil dry too much before watering again and maybe its effected the microbial life in the soil.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks 👍🏼
Pictures attached below.

Brown rust spots on leaves
Brown rust spots on leaves 2
Brown rust spots on leaves 3
freezeland2

freezeland2

No, the only calcium and magnesium its had is from the dry amendments ive given them in small elements.
What if i start using molasses when watering ?
Roots organic has a liquid calmag. That’s all that’s in it, with a small amount of sulfur. It’s good stuff, and doesn’t add anything else so you have better control over what nutrient levels you are giving with your other dry amendments. And no, don’t add molasses.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Ok thanks for the feedback.
Why no molasses ?
A quote from @Aqua Man

Let me explain a bit on this now i have some time.

Sulphured molasses will likely kill your microbes. Unsulphured has no benefits as a sweetner. Sulfur is whats used in sweeteners

Add to that you get all the other nutrients it provides through other sources and it’s useless.

Add to that it causes a massive bloom and die off in bacteria populations as food increases so do populations as food decreases so do populations. This happens so fast it will make your head spin when you look at the reproduction rates.

Add to that it can gunk up your aoil making watering problems.

Add to that both attract bugs… unsulphered bugs live and love. Sulphured kills the bugs and microbes.

Add to that the boom and bust of the bacteria cause soil PH to plumet.

Add to that the plants release starches, sugars etc. in a constant controlled manner that attract the microbes you dont need to artificially inflate populations for no benefit to the plant and infact negatively.

Add to that …. Need i keep going?

Molasses just say no.”

Lnp32

Lnp32

A quote from @Aqua Man

Let me explain a bit on this now i have some time.

Sulphured molasses will likely kill your microbes. Unsulphured has no benefits as a sweetner. Sulfur is whats used in sweeteners

Add to that you get all the other nutrients it provides through other sources and it’s useless.

Add to that it causes a massive bloom and die off in bacteria populations as food increases so do populations as food decreases so do populations. This happens so fast it will make your head spin when you look at the reproduction rates.

Add to that it can gunk up your aoil making watering problems.

Add to that both attract bugs… unsulphered bugs live and love. Sulphured kills the bugs and microbes.

Add to that the boom and bust of the bacteria cause soil PH to plumet.

Add to that the plants release starches, sugars etc. in a constant controlled manner that attract the microbes you dont need to artificially inflate populations for no benefit to the plant and infact negatively.

Add to that …. Need i keep going?

Molasses just say no.”

Lol ok thanks for that i get your point 👍🏼
What do you think the issue is from your experience ? Do you think its calcium deficiency ? Do you think it could be where i let the soil dry out too much ?

freezeland2

freezeland2

Lol ok thanks for that i get your point 👍🏼
What do you think the issue is from your experience ? Do you think its calcium deficiency ? Do you think it could be where i let the soil dry out too much ?
Yes, I believe you are calmag deficient. No, it’s not from letting the pot dry back to much.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Ok brilliant,
Would it be best to use dolomite lime of gypsum ? I have dolomite lime powder by the gypsum isnt powder form, they’re little pellet balls.
How much should i top dress in 3 gallon pots ?
I don’t know, I don’t use that stuff. I use roots organic liquid calmag. They also have a top dress with calmag, it’s called essential.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes, I believe you are calmag deficient. No, it’s not from letting the pot dry back to much.
@Novaracer69 Keep in mind that some of the nutrients in a combined mix will lock out others. I suggest that you follow @freezeland2's recommendation but with one small twist. Only give the calmag and no other nutrients. This will give your plants a better opportunity to latch onto the calmag.

Ok brilliant,
Would it be best to use dolomite lime of gypsum ? I have dolomite lime powder by the gypsum isnt powder form, they’re little pellet balls.
How much should i top dress in 3 gallon pots ?
Neither dolomite lime or gypsum will act as fast as calmag. Both are useful but more so as a soil amendment before you start your grow. The larger the chunks, the slower release it is. Roots Organic products are great. If you have access to them, @freezeland2's suggestion is spot on.

P.S. Most good soil mixes are not calcium deficient. PH lock-out with calcium is common if your soil pH is out of range.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

@Novaracer69 Keep in mind that some of the nutrients in a combined mix will lock out others. I suggest that you follow @freezeland2's recommendation but with one small twist. Only give the calmag and no other nutrients. This will give your plants a better opportunity to latch onto the calmag.

Neither dolomite lime or gypsum will act as fast as calmag. Both are useful but more so as a soil amendment before you start your grow. The larger the chunks, the slower release it is. Roots Organic products are great. If you have access to them, @freezeland2's suggestion is spot on.

P.S. Most good soil mixes are not calcium deficient. PH lock-out with calcium is common if your soil pH is out of range.
I don't use cal-mag and I am having great runs now. I am just confused because this is backwards of what I have been shown. I have been doing this for decades.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Novaracer69 I directed that to the wrong person. However, here's a diagram that shows what pH range each nutrient is available in. I'm not sure what part is backwards but this is coming from science.

Soil pH range

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Back to molasses:

I copied and pasted this from the web:

Does it Make Sense to Add Molasses?​

I’ll save you the trouble of skipping to the end of this post–the answer is NO!

Understanding why the answer is no will help you understand your garden. Let’s have a look. In a normal garden, or compost pile, you have a large variety of microbes, all going about their daily lives. They find something to eat, they poop, and they die. This is a continual process that goes on a billion times a second.

Microbes are opportunistic in that their populations will increase and decrease as the conditions change. Let’s assume you have not been doing too much in the garden so conditions are not changing. In that case the microbe populations remain steady. Things are chugging along at a normal pace and everybody is happy.

Now you dump a lot of molasses on the garden. Instantly, microbes sense the extra food and they start to multiply. Bacteria can divide (ie double the population) every 20 minutes. The population explodes very quickly. All those bacteria need to eat, and they quickly consume the molasses you added. As the food source runs out there is a massive famine and most of the bacteria die.

What has the molasses accomplished?

Not much. It is true that all of the dead bacteria go on to feed other microbes, and they help build soil structure. The minerals in the molasses stay in the soil and plants can use them, but your soil probably had enough calcium and iron before you added the molasses. The vitamins in molasses are of no value to plants. Is the massive population explosion good for your plants? I don’t think anyone knows, but most things in nature are better off without massive changes, and plant roots depend very much on the population of microbes around their roots. I just can’t believe a bacteria population explosion is good for the plants.

You can read the whole article here: https://www.gardenmyths.com/molasses-for-plants/

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

@Novaracer69 I directed that to the wrong person. However, here's a diagram that shows what pH range each nutrient is available in. I'm not sure what part is backwards but this is coming from science.

View attachment 1265775
I haven't touched my ph meter in years with living soil. Now this makes sense. It's me not paying attention to my soil ph or water ph. I know my tap in always 6.8 to 7.0 200 to 240 ppm. Living soil and knf for the win🤣

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I don't pay attention to my water pH. It's filtered but the pH remains high. However, because its stripped of the sediment that contains the buffering minerals, it doesn't effect the ability of the soil to buffer its pH.

I DO pay very close attention to the soil pH. I use Roots Organic "Lush" for my soil. It's pretty much a living mix if you water it and allow it to "cook" before use. It's pH after a couple weeks of cooking is usually right in the middle of the range shown on that pH chart.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Ok I am new here been growing. But my question is why not molasses? I use it as a food source for my microbial population. I have never seen a issue with bugs unless you already have a problem.
He wasn't meaning bugs as in pests but beneficial in the soil that would eat the sugars and the bi product/waste is what breakd dwn the nutrients to make them available.

Top Bottom