Brown spots on leaf, Fungas Gnats?

• Thread starter IceR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
IceR

IceR

But first now that you have the PPM meter can you check what the PPM of the basic nutrient solution you were feeding in bloom was?
Can you explain. Should i add the nutrients to the water in the proportion i used during the flowering and than do a ppm check? or do a ppm check on the nutrient liquid itself?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Can you explain. Should i add the nutrients to the water in the proportion i used during the flowering and than do a ppm check? or do a ppm check on the nutrient liquid itself?

Yes, mix nutrients and water at the same ratio that you were using when you had that problem

I want a baseline PPM of what you were feeding the blooming plants in the above pictures

That will help me understand your nutrients better and possibly be able to make feeding suggestions so this doesn't happen again

Also (and I shudder to say this) if they have a feeding chart that you're using or aware of you could include that as well or a link to it

Last edited:
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Yes, mix nutrients and water at the same ratio that you were using when you had that problem

I want a baseline PPM of what you were feeding the blooming plants in the above pictures

That will help me understand your nutrients better and possibly be able to make feeding suggestions so this doesn't happen again

Also (and I shudder to say this) if they have a feeding chart that you're using or aware of you could include that as well or a link to it

There's a lot of first time and new growers who are using this stuff. Its appealing because it's an "all for one" type of solution similar to the maxicrop thing.

His issues could have been resolved with an Epsom salts foliar spray mixed at 2tsp per gal. Or with a simple cal/mag supplement.

I recently upgraded the T5HOs in my inside flower with LEDs. Wasnt prepared for plant performance increases and 3 strains started sucking their fans dry but only in mainlined format. Multiple colas... cal/mag issues. Single colas... no issues. Right so container size the next time around will fix that.

I think the OP's plants didn't start to express the deficiency until the middle of flowering (cause he sure as fuck wasnt 2 weeks from harvest), just because the soil was depleted. The fans are next to be sucked dry of needed nutes. And the stuff he's feeding has no cal or mag. Whoops. Party Foul.

OP Dude, don't feel bad. Lots of new guys get sucked into the latest greatest bullshit hype. But that's all good. It's a learning journey. I recommend you give these nutes a read and pick one. And get a BIG bag of Epsom salts. The plain stuff that's med or food grade. Spray daily. I've never OD'd my plants on Epsom Salts lol and I grow inside, outside, trees to bonsais. 2 tsp per gal

Fox Farms: Original Trio
GH: Grow, Micro, Flora
Earth Juice: Seablast Grow, Transition, Bloom, Bloom Master

I use the Seablast line. It has all of the micros you need for each stage of growth. And if you feed "strong", then your ppms will match. EG. Bloom mixes at 1/2 tsp per gal, plus 1/2 tbl epsom salts, 1/16th of a tsp of baking soda to being the ph to 6.3 for my water anyway. I'm always going to grind a lot of cal into my plants. PPM is a little more than 800 on average. In good soil that's rich enough to get you the most gentle of tip burn.

Anyway, that produces bud like this that I harvested yesterday.
20201004 143327

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Also you didn't do any kind of flush on that soil before you harvested those plants right?

IceR

IceR

Ok will do later today and post

IceR

IceR

There's a lot of first time and new growers who are using this stuff. Its appealing because it's an "all for one" type of solution similar to the maxicrop thing.

His issues could have been resolved with an Epsom salts foliar spray mixed at 2tsp per gal. Or with a simple cal/mag supplement.

I recently upgraded the T5HOs in my inside flower with LEDs. Wasnt prepared for plant performance increases and 3 strains started sucking their fans dry but only in mainlined format. Multiple colas... cal/mag issues. Single colas... no issues. Right so container size the next time around will fix that.

I think the OP's plants didn't start to express the deficiency until the middle of flowering (cause he sure as fuck wasnt 2 weeks from harvest), just because the soil was depleted. The fans are next to be sucked dry of needed nutes. And the stuff he's feeding has no cal or mag. Whoops. Party Foul.

OP Dude, don't feel bad. Lots of new guys get sucked into the latest greatest bullshit hype. But that's all good. It's a learning journey. I recommend you give these nutes a read and pick one. And get a BIG bag of Epsom salts. The plain stuff that's med or food grade. Spray daily. I've never OD'd my plants on Epsom Salts lol and I grow inside, outside, trees to bonsais. 2 tsp per gal

Fox Farms: Original Trio
GH: Grow, Micro, Flora
Earth Juice: Seablast Grow, Transition, Bloom, Bloom Master

I use the Seablast line. It has all of the micros you need for each stage of growth. And if you feed "strong", then your ppms will match. EG. Bloom mixes at 1/2 tsp per gal, plus 1/2 tbl epsom salts, 1/16th of a tsp of baking soda to being the ph to 6.3 for my water anyway. I'm always going to grind a lot of cal into my plants. PPM is a little more than 800 on average. In good soil that's rich enough to get you the most gentle of tip burn.

Anyway, that produces bud like this that I harvested yesterday.View attachment 1040023
Ok MHippy , thanks for the elaborate info, i´ll have to read up on these points.

So as i understand this idea of using organic soil and organic nutrients to make i easier for the newbie is not really a good choice (obviously seen by my results it wasn´t :-(?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

organic nutrients ... is not really a good choice ?
Gawd no !! Organics is above my paygrade and I've been doing soil for 5 years, and cannabis for 15 altogether

We'll get you fixed mr/ms Ice, I want to suggest you start feeding by PPM, that's why I want the measurement of your nutrients and then I'll suggest some ppm feeding guidelines, and also you need to pick up a cal-mag supplement

Your PPM numbers are lower than mine after I've flush the plants for 10 days or so prior to harvest, frankly I was surprised by your low numbers but we'll get that straightened out, it's not a biggie

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Ok MHippy , thanks for the elaborate info, i´ll have to read up on these points.

So as i understand this idea of using organic soil and organic nutrients to make i easier for the newbie is not really a good choice (obviously seen by my results it wasn´t :-(?
The idea isn't bad but there are easier ways to start :) Just the term "Organic" has sparked many a debate lol! The rule of thumb in the beginning? Just cover the basics and keep it simple. You'll have plenty of time for crazy stuff later.

IceR

IceR

Gawd no !! Organics is above my paygrade and I've been doing soil for 5 years, and cannabis for 15 altogether

We'll get you fixed mr/ms Ice, I want to suggest you start feeding by PPM, that's why I want the measurement of your nutrients and then I'll suggest some ppm feeding guidelines, and also you need to pick up a cal-mag supplement

Your PPM numbers are lower than mine after I've flush the plants for 10 days or so prior to harvest, frankly I was surprised by your low numbers but we'll get that straightened out, it's not a biggie

I have actually only fed the plants nutrients 2 times (as i stopped as the problems started appearing and i thought it was due to nutrient lockout). I started in the 2nd week of flowering (week 6) as i had read if i use organic soil that when i had to give some nutrients (just to give them some extra force). Just like i had read if i just use organic nutrients i couldn´t go wrong :-(.

first time:
2ml/lt biobizz top max (50% of recomended, because i had read that auto´s are sensitive to nutrients )
2ml/lt biobizz bloom (50% of recomended)

ppm: 155

second time (2 weeks later) i even gave less
1ml/lt biobizz top max
1ml/lt biobizz bloom

At the bottom you´ll find the biobizz nutrient schedule

Biobizz light coco mix grow chart 2020
IceR

IceR

Also you didn't do any kind of flush on that soil before you harvested those plants right?
i flushed the plants twice at the moment i thought the problem was nutrient lockout (some with twice the container´s content and some 5 times the containers content). Was probably 5/7 days before i harvested

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I have actually only fed the plants nutrients 2 times (as i stopped as the problems started appearing and i thought it was due to nutrient lockout). I started in the 2nd week of flowering (week 6) as i had read if i use organic soil that when i had to give some nutrients (just to give them some extra force). Just like i had read if i just use organic nutrients i couldn´t go wrong :-(.

first time:
2ml/lt biobizz top max (50% of recomended, because i had read that auto´s are sensitive to nutrients )
2ml/lt biobizz bloom (50% of recomended)

ppm: 155

second time (2 weeks later) i even gave less
1ml/lt biobizz top max
1ml/lt biobizz bloom

At the bottom you´ll find the biobizz nutrient schedule
Okay mr. Ice I'll re-read this over coffee in the morning & I have a long reply and a few links coming for you but I'm too tired right now it's been a busy day LOL

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Okay mr. Ice I'll re-read this over coffee in the morning & I have a long reply and a few links coming for you but I'm too tired right now it's been a busy day LOL

I want to see his run off numbers!! Lol....

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

First, following this information you can get a quick and accurate idea of what's going on in your soil at any point in the grow via slurry testing

So unless I missed it I also didn't find any calcium and magnesium in your nutrients

I have a 20-20-20 GP fertilizer I use In veg that also has no calcium or magnesium so I supplement every gallon with 4 mL of GM Calimagic and recommend you start adding a cal-mag supplement as well

Below are guidelines that I use to feed my plants in soil or peat by PPM:

Seedlings 0 to 200 PPM

Young plants 250 - 400 PPM

Mature veg plants 400-600 PPM

Flowering plants 650 - 800 PPM

Heavy feeders in flower 800-1000 PPM

Frequency of feeding may go something like this, although you will have to tweak this depending on the plant size, how fast you're trying to bring it along and other factors which you'll pick up as you go

Veg plants - water/water/feed
or for more aggressive vegetative growth use a water/feed/water/feed cycle

Blooming plants - feed/feed/water/repeat

So now you can see how your plants starved and cannibalize them self because of your feeding habits, hopefully the information above will get you on the right track for a successful grow!

If there's any questions or if I wasn't clear on any point I should be around later today

Edit: approximately every third feeding or every 7 to 10 days whenever there's a plain pH watering I will run twice the normal amount through the medium and test and record the ph and PPM of the soil for a running guide how the General Health of the media is doing and what if any changes I may have to make, however this is not as accurate as a slurry test

Also recommend you search this site and find out how to use a proper 'wet/dry watering cycle' to your advantage, it will help you greatly to maintain proper roots zone health

Last edited:
IceR

IceR

First, following this information you can get a quick and accurate idea of what's going on in your soil at any point in the grow via slurry testing

So unless I missed it I also didn't find any calcium and magnesium in your nutrients

I have a 20-20-20 GP fertilizer I use In veg that also has no calcium or magnesium so I supplement every gallon with 4 mL of GM Calimagic and recommend you start adding a cal-mag supplement as well

Seedlings 0 to 200 PPM

Frequency of feeding may go something like this, although you will have to tweak this depending on the plant size, how fast you're trying to bring it along and other factors which you'll pick up as you go

Veg plants - water/water/feed
or for more aggressive vegetative growth use a water/feed/water/feed cycle

Blooming plants - feed/feed/water/repeat

So now you can see how your plants starved and cannibalize them self because of your feeding habits, hopefully the information above will get you on the right track for a successful grow!

If there's any questions or if I wasn't clear on any point I should be around later today

Edit: approximately every third feeding or every 7 to 10 days whenever there's a plain pH watering I will run twice the normal amount through the medium and test and record the ph and PPM of the soil for a running guide how the General Health of the media is doing and what if any changes I may have to make, however this is not as accurate as a slurry test

Also recommend you search this site and find out how to use a proper 'wet/dry watering cycle' to your advantage, it will help you greatly to maintain proper roots zone health
Beachwalker thanks for all the infomation, will use this as a guide during coming grow :-)

i am now planning on using the following (looked into the suggestions by MHippy but these brands arent´readily available here):

For soil:
Biobizz Light Mix

WHAT IT IS
The Light Mix soil is an organic peat-based potting soil mix. It is an all-natural blend of ingredients such as black peat, white peat, compost, worm cast & perlite. It is pre-fertilised, but to an EC of around 1.2, roughly half the rate of the All Mix. The Light contains a blend of organic fertilisers, compost, beneficial bacteria as well as perlite to help aid with drainage & aeration.

Nutrients during vega:
Canna Terra Vega NPK: 3-1-4
(they suggest from 10 days after seeding and up to 10 into flowering

Nutrients during flowering:
Canna Terra Flores: NPK 2-2-4

and a Calmag solution from Canna as well

Whats your take on this?

IceR

IceR

Absolutely its a miracle they made it to the end (well probably 70% less than they could have).

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Nutrients and medium are of minor importance, their application and usage is what will get you to a quality harvest, good luck.

IceR

IceR

Seedlings 0 to 200 PPM

Beachwalker, are these numbers for Autos? as i understood they are more sensible to nutrients

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've only grown a handful of Autos I treated them exactly like Photo Plants, but don't go by me, best to ask and auto grower

It's my opinion that most or all of the do's and don'ts around Autos are myths but that's a topic for a different discussion that I have no interest in being part of 🤐LOL

You could certainly start at the low end of those numbers with complete safety

you got to feed em' brah, worst that will happens you see a little tip burn oh well, so your back off the newts

that's why I recommended you keep monitoring your soil by checking run off weekly or about every third watering so you'll know exactly where your plants are and when to increase by 50 or a hundred PPM, it takes a minute but you'll get it good luck
Beachwalker, are these numbers for Autos? as i understood they are more sensible to nutrients

IceR

IceR

Seedlings 0 to 200 PPM

Last question (i think:-)) these numbers are for runoff or feeding water?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Last question (i think:-)) these numbers are for runoff or feeding water?
That's a rough idea of what PPM to feed a particular sized plant

And when you check the runoff you want it to read somewhere around the strength that you're feeding it at, plus or minus 100 PPM or so, and you want your pH between 6.0 and 7.0

Top Bottom