Brown spots on young plant

• Thread starter Sammeysosa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sammeysosa

Hey guys, 1st time grower, using a 1000w dimgogo in my 4x5 grow tent, I gave a gorilla glue autoflower from growers choice and I may have started nute feeding a little to early, but I would think at this stage it would have slowed the browning but iy seems to be getting worst. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance

Brown spots on young plant
Brown spots on young plant 2
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Answer all of these and you will find your answer 👍

S

Sammeysosa

Hopefully that’s better! It’s the bottom leaves, the top leaves seem to be doing fine

az2000

az2000

What soil are you in?

EDIT: It looks like you water around the stalk, but not the outer edges? I see dark in the center, dry outer edge. You could get some burning effect from the roots drying out at the edges. It's better to drench and wait till the soil dries (very much, until the container feels alarmingly light to lift). Soil goes through a ph range from wet to dry. If you have areas that are never wet, and areas that never dry, it might be good either.

S

Sammeysosa

I’m using Kellogg’s patio soil, I actually do water the outside but I read an article saying that if you water parts of the soil that the roots aren’t getting to that leads to soil mold, so I tried to switch it up, I was maybe thinking a nutrient burn. Since it was to young I was thinking that’s why maybe the lower leaves were the only ones damaged.

az2000

az2000

I’m using Kellogg’s patio soil, I actually do water the outside but I read an article saying that if you water parts of the soil that the roots aren’t getting to that leads to soil mold, so I tried to switch it up, I was maybe thinking a nutrient burn. Since it was to young I was thinking that’s why maybe the lower leaves were the only ones damaged.

I thought that looked familiar. (<<link). I think Kelloggs Patio Plus is too hot for cannabis. So, if you fed them (as you say you did), that would definitely be too much.

You're kind of stuck now. I wouldn't feed. Fully water, then let the soil dry very well. (It may take too long. Patio Plus needs a lot more perlite for cannabis.).

If the seedlings make it into veg, then the soil will need some food in flower. It's just too hot for seedlings. (And then you feed them more.).

Next time consider making my soil (linked above). I guarantee it works.

S

Sammeysosa

Wow man, thanks! Very valid point, you know what I’m thinking it is now? Septoria, I want to take this leaves off before it spreads to the upper leaves, what do you think

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Wow man, thanks! Very valid point, you know what I’m thinking it is now? Septoria, I want to take this leaves off before it spreads to the upper leaves, what do you think
It's not leaf septoria. Listen to @az2000 he is giving good advice

az2000

az2000

You're in an already hot soil, and fed on top of that. I would go with the simpler answer.

az2000

az2000

Thanks guys!

I encourage you to try the soil the way I do it. But, it will only have enough nutrient for a couple weeks. You'll have to feed every watering (every 2-3 days for me). I like that better because I don't depend upon how well the bagged soil was made. I feed lightly compared to most (it seems).

It might work fine by itself (withuot the peat and perlite I add). If you hadn't fed it, maybe it would work out. But, it really needs 1 scoop perlite for every 2 scoops of Kellogg Patio Plus. Maybe even 1.5 to 2. Cannabis likes fast wet/dry cycles. I'm not sure the Pro-Mix peat I add makes much difference. It makes the Patio Plus less woody/foresty.

I'm experimenting with Kellogg Cactus & Palm potting mix right now. It's sandy, less foresty than Patio Plus. I like the texture better. Waiting to see if cannabis likes it better. (I planted two seeds 24 hours ago.). I think it needs more perlite too. But, going to try it plain first.

S

Sammeysosa

Yeah most definitely, I’ve learned the hard way w soil at this point, I got 1 cubic foot of miracle grow performance organic potting soil, to transplant 1 gorilla glue, watered it and transplanted & everything to see fuckin gnats already invested in the soil... I dumped it right away

az2000

az2000

I'm experimenting with Kellogg Cactus & Palm potting mix right now. It's sandy, less foresty than Patio Plus. I like the texture better. Waiting to see if cannabis likes it better. (I planted two seeds 24 hours ago.). I think it needs more perlite too. But, going to try it plain first.

Regarding the Kellogg Palm & Cactus potting mix: the two seeds (bagseed) broke ground last night and this morning. (I planted directly in the cactus potting mix. They broke ground in 3 to 3.5 days. That's pretty good. The seeds have been in the refrigerator at least 3 years. I didn't do my fine peat/perlite seed bed either.[1] This cactus mix seems fine enough for seedlings. It has some wood pieces. But, they're finer than the Patio Plus mix.). This cactus mix doesn't contain have an NPK label. But, the ingredients say it has poultry manure. Must not be much.

Attached are photos showing the consistency of the cactus mix. It has a fair amount of perlite alreay. But, it looks heavier/denser than I like. I feel like it should have 1 scoop perlite to 2 or 3 scoops cactus mix. However, the appearance is misleading. it's very sandy. It's not heavy like wet peat/compost clumped together. So, I decided to use it straight out of the bag to see how it works. It would be nice if it works without adding perlite. The new, curious grower could use it without a lot of drama acquiring more things, mixing, etc.

Right now I have them under a globeless GE "basic" 8.5w 5000k lightbulb (sold at Lowes). 130ppfd. I'm going to give them a few days to see if they look ok (i.e., whether there's something obviously wrong with using this soil). If things look good, I'll document it like my soil. I'm going to be feeding MiracleGro "Tomato," and using household LED lightbulbs. So, this could be a decent "getting started" way to grow. Buy everything at the hardware store.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention this to you since you chose to use Kellogg Patio Plus. I thin that's too dense & nutrient rich (hot) for cannabis. (I know you're going to let it dry and see how it goes, if the plant can recover.). I've got a feeling this cactus mix is the right stuff to use. Personally, I would lighten it up with more perlite. But, compared to peat/forest based soils, this sure looks closer to what I like. I wish it had more soil'ish stuff like worm castings, compost, guano. (Just a little, like I get using Patio Plus.). I'm thinking instead of mixing my soil the way I do (with Pro-Mix HP), maybe mix it with this cactus mix instead. (56% cactus mix, 22% Patio Plus, 22% perlite). That would still be simple to acquire for most people (compared to Pro-Mix). But, I wanted to give it a shot by itself. All I know is Pro-Mix HP by itself, and the light soil I make from it. I should expose myself to something different before trying to perfect it.

[1] My light-airy peat-based soil is chunky. Too much for a seedling I think. My soil uses 20% Kellogg Patio Plus has large'ish wood chips, which adds to the chunky peat from the Pro-Mix HP. So, for germinating I use the guts of a Jiffy pellet, and crush some perlite to a sandy consistency, and mix those two together. Then I make a small scoop in my chunky soil, and fill it with this fine seedling medium. I plant the side directly into it.

DSC02706 1200x900
DSC02707 1200x900
Day1   dolo   900x1200
Day1   nodolo   900x1200
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

No it's not septoria, that's why I asked you for a closer picture. probably a pH issue but I'm not sure without more info but it's not septoria in my opinion, I've dealt with septoria a handful of times

I've never seen septoria in a plant that small either, doesn't mean it can't happen I suppose, I just have never seen it

---> How are you pH ing your water and to what are you pH it?

PS don't freak out over so-called hot soil because it's more likely something to do with ph or something you've done, not the soil. They sell a lot of that soil and for a good reason, when you get into issues is when you start feeding it too soon, not just for using it in my opinion

Last edited:
Top Bottom