Browning While De Carbing?

• Thread starter JMcG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JMcG

JMcG

My last couple of de carbing runs have not browned out quite like I’ve seen in the past. I was using frosty trim and had it about an inch thick in the pan. It was sealed tightly with foil.
I usually get a nice brown finished product but these one barely turned brown, almost the same green as when I started. They smell kinda half baked. ( like me).
Did they not get de carbed enough?
Went 240 degrees for 40 minutes... maybe I need to check the thermostat in the oven!

JMcG

JMcG

0AA11EFB 8AC2 4124 8E27 8F60857C02A3

Graywolf

Graywolf

Is there a reason that you are decarboxylating prior to extraction? It's easier to tell precisely where you are if decarboxylating it as a concentrate, because you can watch the bubbles.

The brown color has nothing to do with decarboxylation and more to do with green chlorophyll deprotonating into brown pheophytin.

CO2 bubbles
JMcG

JMcG

This material will be used for alcohol based tinctures. This is just how I’ve done it in the past, decarb first, extract, then evap half the volume off naturally without heat.
I’m open to suggestion tho buddy, thanks for the reply!

P

progeny-prodigy

This material will be used for alcohol based tinctures. This is just how I’ve done it in the past, decarb first, extract, then evap half the volume off naturally without heat.
I’m open to suggestion tho buddy, thanks for the reply!
no reliable way to tell how decarbed trim is but u can also just extract as normal then finish decarb after when u can see the co2 bubbles

JMcG

JMcG

What extraction process?
Just basic alcohol extraction.
Decarbed material and everclear in the freezer overnight, fill mason jar half full with material and just cover it up with EC. Shake for a minute and run liquid through non bleached coffee filters. Keep jar open on a dark shelf for 10 days or so until half the volume has evaporated off. Packaged in 25 ml dropper jars and off it goes.
I never got into heating the final product to reduce it down. Heard it can affect the terpene profile, but maybe that’s not a concern with these anyway...?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Ethanol is polar, so efficiency extracting THC-A should be higher than THC. I suggest QWET extracting with ethanol, removing it, and decarboxylating the concentrate, before mixing back in how ever much alcohol you want in your tincture.

RCfarmer

RCfarmer

PS: Decarboxylating either way affects the terpene profile

I was going to say that.

There's so many methods that it gets confusing when your trying to find info on how to do extractions. Some methods say decarb the plant matter first while others after the extraction. I prefer to decarb after the extraction.

E

Elsydro

Is there a reason that you are decarboxylating prior to extraction? It's easier to tell precisely where you are if decarboxylating it as a concentrate, because you can watch the bubbles.

The brown color has nothing to do with decarboxylation and more to do with green chlorophyll deprotonating into brown pheophytin.
Please explain the process for decarbing something like shatter or wax? Thank you kindly!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Please explain the process for decarbing something like shatter or wax? Thank you kindly!
If you place the container of shatter or wax in a 250F hot vegetable oil bath, it will belt and start to fizz. The fizz will be small CO2 bubbles from decarboxylation. When their production suddenly drops off, you are at about 70% decarboxylation and time to stop.

You can continue to full decarboxylation where all bubbles stop, but in so doing you will reduce the total THC content, turning it into CBN and other degradation biproducts.

H

hawkman

"de-carbing" is not necessary for butter -just only if you are going to make edibles. there is much confussion about de-carbing (not saying it doesn't work) if making butter make sure your temp is 180-200 for one hr (high) and them 4 hr's on low. (crock=pot) Don;t get caught up on debarbing _having done both ways like using the crock-pot, even came out better than with the Magic Butter Machine (you need to de-carb it for the machine also) each to their own - like to keep it simple and easy !!!!!

Dan789

Dan789

I think there’s a chart that was posted several years back on this site about the temp/time curves for de’carbing MJ, I’m sure that’s playing into the processes where you believe de’carbing hasn’t been specifically accomplished.
When I’m making tincture via alcohol extraction, it’s de’carbed first, then allowed to set in the alcohol for sixty days, triple filtered, then heated for half evap prior to bottling for use.

JMcG

JMcG

@Greywolf
Yeah I have done it that way with shatter and the likes. I used a vacuum chamber and around 115 degrees to get it to fizz for a while. Waited until all bubbles ceased to form and pulled it out. Made nice product but I still questioned its purity...
@hawkman
Yeah, my wife does hers that way but has been decarbing it first. We’ll try it without next time.
@Dan789
I kinda remember that chart! I’d like to find it again.... anyone?

Thanks for the input gents!

H

hawkman

I think there’s a chart that was posted several years back on this site about the temp/time curves for de’carbing MJ, I’m sure that’s playing into the processes where you believe de’carbing hasn’t been specifically accomplished.
When I’m making tincture via alcohol extraction, it’s de’carbed first, then allowed to set in the alcohol for sixty days, triple filtered, then heated for half evap prior to bottling for use.
THAT WAS ON 'INTERNATIONAL CANNAGRAPHIC MAG" fourm ..... one of the oldest grower fourm

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Never had much luck with decarbing.. Couldn't stand to cook off the aromas and ruin the flavor, so I ran other people's trim.. Some growers product does not decarb very well. Like a greasy heat sink in the bud soaking the heat up. Like everything I blame it on how it's grown. Some shit takes 15-20 degrees more in the vape also. Like one dudes trim takes more heat than another dudes calyx. Usually the nastiest tasting bud is hardest to maintain vape temps. What a coincidence.

E

Elsydro

If you place the container of shatter or wax in a 250F hot vegetable oil bath, it will belt and start to fizz. The fizz will be small CO2 bubbles from decarboxylation. When their production suddenly drops off, you are at about 70% decarboxylation and time to stop.

You can continue to full decarboxylation where all bubbles stop, but in so doing you will reduce the total THC content, turning it into CBN and other degradation biproducts.
Thank you kindly!

E

Elsydro

"de-carbing" is not necessary for butter -just only if you are going to make edibles. there is much confussion about de-carbing (not saying it doesn't work) if making butter make sure your temp is 180-200 for one hr (high) and them 4 hr's on low. (crock=pot) Don;t get caught up on debarbing _having done both ways like using the crock-pot, even came out better than with the Magic Butter Machine (you need to de-carb it for the machine also) each to their own - like to keep it simple and easy !!!!!
I would love to know your method, as the one time I didn’t decarb I could def tell the difference In the edible, I use a combination of bud and already vaped bud, I like to vape but not all the time so I keep the already vaped bud for medibles for the extra kick! I typically use a crock pot, I’ll use about an ounce of primo bud and sometimes if I can use the full ounce that’s where the AVB comes I to play! As when I vape I vape for edibles and I’ve always been somewhat preferential towards the high of the degraded thc, you know when you get some heavy cbn for the medibles can really lead to some euphoric knock out potent af medibles!!! When I do decarb I wrap the ground cannabis up in tin foil nice to make certain NO FUMES/delicious terps escape, I roast low maybe 175-200 for 45 mins if I remember correctly, I’m always looking for better recipes so please if anyone can improve please feel free to do so!

quirk

quirk

My last couple of de carbing runs have not browned out quite like I’ve seen in the past. I was using frosty trim and had it about an inch thick in the pan. It was sealed tightly with foil.
I usually get a nice brown finished product but these one barely turned brown, almost the same green as when I started. They smell kinda half baked. ( like me).
Did they not get de carbed enough?
Went 240 degrees for 40 minutes... maybe I need to check the thermostat in the oven!
Before I purchased a Nova, if I wasn't sure I'd crumble a gram in a little yogurt and in 1.5 hrs. I would know.

Top Bottom