Bubble Great White into teas from the start or at end?

• Thread starter OpTikFiber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OpTikFiber

OpTikFiber

Hey guys, I got some Great White, some guanos, and a bunch of raw nutes for my soils. I am pretty excited to start a real organic grow w/o a bunch of bottled stuff!

Anyway, the guy at my hyrdo shop suggested to bubble the Great White with a small amount of molasses for 72 hours before administering it. So I started to bubble it and sat down to do some hardcore research lastnight.

I read that you want to add any brand's Myco fungi's at the very end of the tea brewing because they don't live long without roots to attach to.

Can anyone confirm or deny? The guy at the store certainly seemed to speak from experience and is always knowledgeable when we have talked. But the article I was reading that mentions adding the Myco's at the end was written by a current "cannabis-magazine article writer". So they both seem like experts to me, who do I listen too? ;)

Thanks guys for any info on using the Great White folks!

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Myco inocs should be introduced to the tea about one hour before be applied to plants.....any sooner and it will out compete the other biologicals that have been enlivened in the tea.

Want a specific answer....call Plant Revolution, the makers of Great White.

OpTikFiber

OpTikFiber

Hey that sounds like two votes against the guy at the store to me :D Thanks for the input. And I was actually thinking of an email or a call if no one had any answers. Thanks again!

K

killakron

so whats up any confirmation either way on this. I believe plant success makes great white. i am very interested in this as i have been brewing tea but have no microscope. though i gotta say these are surely the happiest plants i've ever grown.

The Joker

The Joker

I've read that the mycchos do not live long in water and need to be applied to the plant immediately after mixing.

You can make a fungal tea. There is a great thread on it at the cabana.

I use Great White, but apply it immediately. Seems to work fine as is. Making teas as well.

dextr0

dextr0

I notice alot of people using Mycs in there teas...why? Idk, I do know that in order for mycorrhizae to grow roots need direct contact. I know thats not all thats in Great White, im just saying alot of people answered on that specific subject.
The proper way to use myc would be to inoculate when young transplanting. I find that putting a whole layer right under where your transplanting will give u Great roots all the way down. I do it each time I re-pot, so 2 times in my girls life.

dextr0

dextr0

Sorry Buddy, just missed it.

Only add the myco to your brew if you're applying directly to the roots of your plant or doing a root injection (with a tree for example). It's a waste of money to add mycorrhizal fungi to your tea. It does not grow, it's a root symbiant and needs the root to become active.

Here's the basics for myco:

1. Add it directly to the roots either through a root dip or sprinkling into the hole before planting.

2. Use it only 1X at the beginning of the plant's life cycle.

3. Don't add it to compost teas unless doing an application directly to the roots. If you do, add it at the end, immediately before applying.

4. Any commercial soil that advertises myco in it probably doesn't have sufficient myco for an application, they put just enough in to get it on the label.

5. It's a waste of money to mix it through your soil mix. If it's more than 2mm from a root hair, it will stay dormant for the life of the plant.

6. This is a big plus for re-using your soil, as active mycorrhizal spores will be in the soil from any root hairs that are left in the soil.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm doing this from memory while watching the Bears/Packers game. :)

Hope that helps!

Blaze

Blaze

^^^ Good advice, CT Guy and dext0 know their stuff OpTiK, I would head their advice. I still use mycos at every transplant so mine get it 2x instead of once just like dextr0. IMO if you are making tea w/ good compost I am skeptical is adding the Great White is really needed. I used to use it myself before I started brewing tea. The Great White worked OK but the tea worked far better and was a fraction of the cost. IMHO Great White is a decent product but over-priced, and contains many organisms that probably don't really do much for your plants.

O

ookiimata

I do know that in order for mycorrhizae to grow roots need direct contact

Exactly what I've read. I was under the impression that using it in tea was somewhat of a waste.

OpTikFiber

OpTikFiber

I hear ya Blaze. I have totally been keeping up on all of CT Guy's posts, he is The Man for posting all of this knowledge recently! Personally I think the guy at my grow store means well, but he is not exactly an expert it seems. ;) I have not been adding the Great White to any teas in quite a while. Like you said Blaze just isn't necessary.

For sure though, there is a major difference in my root systems with Great White. I know Ct Guy said it is only necessary once at transplant. But I have been using the GW about 3 times at 1/4-1/2 doses. I have been doing this at transplant and then about at days 7 and 14, in organic soil, of course. And I haven't been using any tea until like day 25.

Definitely been trying new stuff after reading CT Guy's posts. Another change is I haven't been putting Guano into teas really, just into the soil now. :D

O

ookiimata

Damn. I put some Myko 30 from Xtreme Gardening at the bottom of my hole when I moved my popped beans from the paper towel to the soil a couple days ago. I hope I didn't kill them. I realized after I put it in that the bag said it contained natural ferts as well, which the guy at the grow store told me it didn't. That pissed me off. Probably going to burn the little guys/hopefully girls.

Sorry to go off topic, by the way. I just saw all you mention to use them at transplant and realized I probably messed up.

OpTikFiber

OpTikFiber

I just saw all you mention to use them at transplant and realized I probably messed up.

IDK? But someone on here will know, or you'll know in 3-4 days ;) I bet everything will be okay.

But I just wanted to clarify for ya that the Great White product were mentioning is powder that goes into liquid. (Not sure if you can just put it in soil.) Just a different applications for different Myco Products. Same little myco strains in both products for the most part :)

B

Buddy Hemphill

I notice alot of people using Mycs in there teas...why? Idk, I do know that in order for mycorrhizae to grow roots need direct contact. I know thats not all thats in Great White, im just saying alot of people answered on that specific subject.
The proper way to use myc would be to inoculate when young transplanting. I find that putting a whole layer right under where your transplanting will give u Great roots all the way down. I do it each time I re-pot, so 2 times in my girls life.

x2

dextr0

dextr0

Damn. I put some Myko 30 from Xtreme Gardening at the bottom of my hole when I moved my popped beans from the paper towel to the soil a couple days ago. I hope I didn't kill them. I realized after I put it in that the bag said it contained natural ferts as well, which the guy at the grow store told me it didn't. That pissed me off. Probably going to burn the little guys/hopefully girls.

Sorry to go off topic, by the way. I just saw all you mention to use them at transplant and realized I probably messed up.

IDK? But someone on here will know, or you'll know in 3-4 days ;) I bet everything will be okay.

But I just wanted to clarify for ya that the Great White product were mentioning is powder that goes into liquid. (Not sure if you can just put it in soil.) Just a different applications for different Myco Products. Same little myco strains in both products for the most part :)

A fellas my fault for not gettin back earlier, got w a couple homeboys that do use Great White and they told me same thing. Make sure to get it on the roots at transplant, thats the bottom line.
U wanna put it in a solution, ok, do that and immediately dip roots in that solution. More to the fact my homeboy said if your in hydro go ahead and sprinkle some on the top part of roots (the crown?).
Hope that helps.

Heres what I mean by a layer in pots. I actually set my plugs right on top of layer and let rootlets touch mycorrhizal spores. ookiimata hopefully yours grow in and get inoculated.

MycorrhizalInoculumPots
OpTikFiber

OpTikFiber

Cool info dextr0, I'm gonna try that layering with some clones/seeds. +rep :)

C

CT Guy

Sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner. Thanks guys for the kind words, and yes, that is my advice regarding myco fungi.

I think applying myco more than once (for example when you transplant) is a perfectly acceptable practice (I do it myself). I think it's just best to apply it the way dextr0 listed, not as a tea with other organisms (you don't want the bacteria to parasitize your expensive myco fungi, right?).

There are a few "micronized" mycorrhizal fungi products on the market from mycorrhizal applications. These can apparently be applied as a soil drench. I would only use this though for established tree or shrub applications, where you're looking to avoid a root injection. For this industry, no reason not to just sprinkle it into the hole when you plant, then forget about it.

I'd go with the mycorrhizal applications endo product (it's essentially the same as great white and AN's myco version, just a hell of a lot cheaper and probably from the same source). Or, bioag.com has an endo that doesn't have trichoderma, which is even better because recent University research in the last couple of years has shown that trichoderma actually inhibits mycorrhizal colonization/infection. So why the heck are all they myco makers putting it into their mixes?!?

Someone needs to start a business where they culture and sell "active" mycorrhizal spores. This would cut down on infection/colonization time, which is key with a plant like cannabis that has such a short life span.

Latest posts

Top Bottom