Bubbling tapwater and pH

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

I know that bubbling water/nutes caused pH to go up (because of a co2 exchange going on, apparently). I've currently bubbling 20l of tapwater (usually ec0.6 pH8) and I just tested it - it's pH 8.6 now.

Question is: if I stop bubbling it and mix up nutes with it, when i feed my plants will the pH go down in the coco over the next 24 hours? (if I pH it to 5.8) Or should I leave the tapwater to stand after bubbling before mixing? I don't want my plants to have to adjust to pH swings if at all poss.

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
If you are using twater ph will rise after you water only slight though. Its good for the ph to rise a little after you water makes more nutes available.

F

FastForward

bubbling water means what? boiling it?

Leaving it to sit for 24 hours with airstones in it.....to keep it aerated and to help evaporate off the added chlorine. I'm worried that if I use bubbled pH 8.8 water i'll drop the pH to 5.8, but it won't be stable once I water the plants, causing pH probs again...which I don't want!

K

koopa troopa

the oxygen bubbling up does not raise ph. only co2 and possibly hydrogen floating in the air will make subtle changes to your ph levels.

bubble tap water for 24 hours, add nutes, bubble again for 24 hours and then ph to 5.8 before you feed.

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

re

ph swing: caused by the bicarb in h2o, ph 5.0 kills bicarb,
2 types of ph down on market one with bicarb one without...get the one with out(ph plus too) B.A.C sells it.
so you make your ec first then you ph it to 5.0 with b.ac ph -
then raise up with ph plus to 5.8(b.a.c of course)(be accurate do not want to use down again)

e=mc2

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

re

oxygen in h20, alot at the temp of 18-21 ( use a chiller to maintain)
do not bring your water temp from high to low(eg 25-20) kills o2
air stone do not provide much help in the o2 department,circulating water works better as moving water creates o2.
:blink::blink::blink::blink:

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
FF, your description is exactly how I feed my plants.

24 hours with air stones, then mix nutes, pH and feed. Been doing so for years.

My water comes out ec 0.5 pH 7.1 after 24 hours pH8.5

I find that if I rebubble for 24 hours after pH balancing the pH will rise again from 5.8 to 7.0 ish. But heres the thing, only a drop of pH down need be added to lower it back down.

So from my observation, I theorise that the nute mix does infact stay at the pH level whilst in a healthy medium. If this was not the case, then surely the same amount of pH down would need to be added to rebubbled balanced pH nute mix to lower back to the previous pH level.

I hope this makes sense, I am high as a kite from some temple ball.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes DO or Disolved Oxygen in tap water in non air rated water at 19 deg c is around 7mg / L.

Adding an airstone may only increase this temporarily by 1 per haps 2 mg. And by each deg c the temp rises the more DO disipates.

By using a compresser and ciramic microdifusers then you may be able to increase the DO content to around 10 mg.

But what ever the exact figures are, I have seen a dramatic improvement all round when using 24 hour bubbled water.

Great info Mg

F

FastForward

Thanks for the replies guys....v. interesting MG. I may just stick a water pump in there for circulation instead...might be easier.

Herb- if you've been doing it that way for years and had no probs then I'll do it that way...(bubble, nutes, pH, feed)

It's at the point where I can't afford to spend any money on water, so I have to use this tap water and make the best of it I can.

p.s. you're more coherent than ever btw herb :)

D

DroMan

Thanks for the replies guys....v. interesting MG. I may just stick a water pump in there for circulation instead...might be easier.

Herb- if you've been doing it that way for years and had no probs then I'll do it that way...(bubble, nutes, pH, feed)

It's at the point where I can't afford to spend any money on water, so I have to use this tap water and make the best of it I can.

p.s. you're more coherent than ever btw herb :)

i've grown some of the best i've smoked useing JUST tap water. just let it sit 24+ hours with a airstone. you don't really have to do this but you'll see some signs with your leaves but it just affects the leaves appearance from what i've seen. i might be wrong

S

s4m

hello peep's,

do the same myself. I can smell the chlorine when I fill a bucket. So I allways have two large buckets bubbleing one with an old fish tank heater in it, to take the chill off it!. For feeding.

s4m

C

Cusick

Used to use tap, but in the new place the PPM is pushing 500 and the pH is waaay too unstable to correct all the time.

Bought a cheap R/O unit that seemed to get about 1 gallon of clean for every 50 it wasted, so tossed that pretty quick.

In the end, we're running about 15 gallons a day, so it means lots of trips to lots of different grocery stores every week. One of these days we'll probably invest in a quality R/O machine.. :D

Smokecorleone415

Smokecorleone415

Tap water often has excess CO2 in it that lowers the ph, aeration speeds up the process in which CO2 leaves the water and helps raise the ph to where it actually is

a hydro recirculating pump with ro water will not raise in ph In the reservoir because you are not adding oxygen but recirculating the water and the ph will only raise after you plants start to intake nutrients but with a air stone you are adding oxygen and raising the ph in the reservoir because of the co2 leaving the water

Put oxygen in the water and co2 comes out...the more oxygen you put the more co2 escapes and you ph raises in the process.very simple

whether you are using air stones to add oxygen or take the chlorine out it’s best to.
-1.)Dump stones into water and let them remove chlorine and add oxygen for a few hours or a day. (your choice)
-2.)take stones out and turn pump off and let water stabilize for 15 mins.
-3)ph water to desired ph range and leave room for fluctuations preferably going up in ph EXAMPLE:if your desired ph range is 6.5 then ph your water at about 6.0-6.2 to account for a any raise in your ph’ed water while being stored and the increase in ph when your plants uptake the nutrients So that way you can ALWAYS stay under 7.0 ph and avoid any kinds of lock outs in your soil or coco
-4.)DO NOT PUT AIR STONES BACK IN WATER THAT HAS BEEN PH’ED IF ITS NOT ALREADY APPARENT

DO NOT ALWAYS KEEP SOIL/COCO MOIST AND ALLOW SOIL/COCO TO DRY UP BEFORE WATERING,WAIT TILL POTS ARE LITE SO GET A GOOD FEEL OF HOW HEAVY YOUR POTS FEEL AFTER A WATERING SO YOU KNOW HOW THEY FEEL WHEN THEY ARE WHEN THEY ARE LIGHT CAUSE THATS WHEN YOU WANT TO WATER.ROOTS SPOILED IN WATER DO NOT MAKE A EFFORT TO PRODUCE BIG ROOTS...DEPRIVE THEM OF WATER AND LET THOSE ROOTS GROW IN SEARCH OF WATER AND DONT SPOIL THEM BECAUSE WE ARE IM THE BUSINESS OF GROWING BIG ROOTS FOR BIG FRUITS AND THATS THE NAME OF THE GAME AND THE GOLDEN RULE.

BIG POTS=BIG ROOTS AND BIG ROOTS= BIG FRUITS

I know that bubbling water/nutes caused pH to go up (because of a co2 exchange going on, apparently). I've currently bubbling 20l of tapwater (usually ec0.6 pH8) and I just tested it - it's pH 8.6 now.

Question is: if I stop bubbling it and mix up nutes with it, when i feed my plants will the pH go down in the coco over the next 24 hours? (if I pH it to 5.8) Or should I leave the tapwater to stand after bubbling before mixing? I don't want my plants to have to adjust to pH swings if at all poss.

Top Bottom