Buchner Funnel Questions?

• Thread starter ForrestGUMP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gumby420

gumby420

Or should I get a hand pump?
definitely don't get a hand pump, they break super easy. the 7 gal vac chamber should be enough depending on how big of a funnel you're getting. I had 1000ml flask. you probably only need a 500ml and the 7gal chamber should work perfect for that. and I personally liked filter paper better than the fritted disk buchners. way less cleaning.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

haha ok... I have a custom Terpp mk4c, cause I have a friend who used to work for Terpp, who consulted me years ago and how to run my system...it sounds like you're new to this, I run between 20-50lb of material a day, EVERY DAY.... no its not rocket science here...its thermodynamics. are you running for crude oil when you run 25-30lbs of solvent? I would be shocked to see that much solvent returning piss yellow oil. what "solvent tank" tank are you running? any by the way, there are recovery tanks AND solvent tanks, just depends on the application (whats your IG, id like to see the people stating its not a recovery tank). and whoever you're talking to that says running 16lbs through a column isn't enough is dead wrong. if that were the case then why would I be getting back 10-17% returns on trim? and thats also what every big extractor I know runs...im @quail_extracts on ig if you wanna check my page.
Lol okay bud. I will definitely check you out. Not going to comment further without sounding a certain way.

gumby420

gumby420

This has been purging for 24 hours at 80 deg lol. Its slightly stable but hard to handle with clums hands. It seems the same consistency as my last batch was after 24 hours at 100 deg.

when you muffin does the slab actually muffin up big and then collapse or is it just a ton of small bubbles?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

so you'll need a funnel and flask. they usually come as a set. but you'll also need something to pull a vacuum on it. and it can't be a pump because it could suck in flammable solvent. so you want to do it passively. I had a 10gal vac chamber I would vac down and bring over to my Buchner set up and use the negative pressure in the vac chamber to pull the oil down through the filters in the funnel.

I use my.purge pump I use for purging extracts (bho, iso, etoh). 2 stage, 5cfm. Going on 3 yrs of use and no issues.

gumby420

gumby420

I'll take the risk lol

there was a big thread on tokecity years ago about using a pump or using a passive chamber for pulling through a Buchner funnel. there were multiple explosions with using a regular vac pump...if you already have the 7gal vac chamber might as well be on the safe side and use it. a vac pump is not intended to have flammable solvents run through it. I could see getting away with alcohols but sucking -45* butane fumes into a vac pump doesn't seem right to me...I always like to play it on the safe side though, I have a static free explosion proof fan that will clear my room in under 15 seconds if there is ever any open solvent, haha and I pressure test my system for at least 48hrs. but for real, good luck to you if you decide to use a pump.

F

ForrestGUMP

Ill try the vac chamber method....it doesn't take forever lol?
there was a big thread on tokecity years ago about using a pump or using a passive chamber for pulling through a Buchner funnel. there were multiple explosions with using a regular vac pump...if you already have the 7gal vac chamber might as well be on the safe side and use it. a vac pump is not intended to have flammable solvents run through it. I could see getting away with alcohols but sucking -45* butane fumes into a vac pump doesn't seem right to me...I always like to play it on the safe side though, I have a static free explosion proof fan that will clear my room in under 15 seconds if there is ever any open solvent, haha and I pressure test my system for at least 48hrs. but for real, good luck to you if you decide to use a pump.
LL try the

F

ForrestGUMP

What do you guys think about blowing dry sift? Is it efficient as far as yield goes? I blew a couple small tubes a while ago and the product was amazing. I'm afraid to do a big batch though.

F

ForrestGUMP

Could my screen size make a difference? I'm using 100 micron

gumby420

gumby420

What do you guys think about blowing dry sift? Is it efficient as far as yield goes? I blew a couple small tubes a while ago and the product was amazing. I'm afraid to do a big batch though.
yield is very good, It can clog easier so I usually do a 70/30 or 60/40 mix of trim and sift.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

one reason why we change our pump oil after each vac session. To rid of contaminants it accumulates during purging.

@Graywolf
What say you on using these pumps for purging? Any issue of explosions with a normal robinaire type pump we use?
He would be the go to guy on purging

Graywolf

Graywolf

one reason why we change our pump oil after each vac session. To rid of contaminants it accumulates during purging.

@Graywolf
What say you on using these pumps for purging? Any issue of explosions with a normal robinaire type pump we use?
He would be the go to guy on purging

You shouldn't be anywhere close to LEL, so not an explosion issue, though as you note you do have to watch the oil contamination closely.

gumby420

gumby420

damn I wonder how these other guys blew up their pumps while dewaxing then

Top Bottom