Bucket size? Long,Wide and Short vs Tall

• Thread starter Donkdbz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

JK would say go as big as you can. Some people also talk about the width being more important. Me, I haven't done any experimenting as of yet.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Can't go wrong with either size.....just be sure you size your aeration pumps appropriately to compensate for the added water volume if you go 27 gal.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Im curious about this also. Would there be a benefit to having a shallower wider tub? I know outdoors that the diameter of a whole is almost more important than the depth of a whole. What if the tubs were more like a MacCourt 16 gallon concrete mixing tub. Lower to the ground for more clearance, more contact with a concrete floor for cooling, you could fit two 3" recirculating tubes between each tub, would give ample room and would make it super simple to add a mister or dripper set up to the top of your tubs. You couls even just use one as a super low control bucket. Am i just barking up the wrong tree.

Imagerequestaspx
Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Ah, kk thnx man. I guess i was mistaken i thought that more contact with the floor would keep it cooler, misread. Ive actually rigged one up awhile back i set Styrofoam insulation board on top and used a collar and had about 6" of clearance from the bottom using a cut in half 5gallon bucket. Didnt realize the UC had that much more clearence. The tub is 16 gallons which i thought was more then the UC.6" of water in that 16 gallon tub is nearly 13 gallons total. IDK, glad i asked though, thanks again GardenDreams.

D

Donkdbz

I ended up getting the 23 1/2" by 19 1/2" by 10"s tall

With 7"s of water they will have around 12 gallons of water in each one.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Ends up being 12.67....something gallons. No I wasnt floating the foam on the water was just using it as a lid to hold my buckets, just had it sittin on top of the tub.....but no worries....im lazy....im already talked out of it..... i was always just gunna buy the UC anyway.:D:D:DJust happen to have about 2 dozen of these bins sitting around.

R

RMCG

There's another guy on the board somewhere's running this "Raft" type system of floating foam, He's not doing very well.

I didn't think he was running air pumps either though. Regardless, I think raft is better for SOG or other short lived crops (ie lettuce).

J

Jalisco Kid

Bigger is easier But I do not know if it is better. I saw a noticeable difference between my 20 gal and the 28 gal. Not so much going from the 28 Gal to the 36 gal. JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom