Bud Density

• Thread starter dilligaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dilligaf

dilligaf

I am using a 400w hps to flower..but i dont get much density to the buds..they look nice just not .much weight..anybody else use these indoors anymore..i am going to start next grow soon with simple soil blend ...maybe the old soil was holding it back..just not sure..thanks for consideration

D

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Has a lot to do more than just lighting, I have gotten rock hard buds from 400s more than 1000s just smaller buds. I also raise my lights with the last three weeks and I've noticed this helps as well. Could be the strains you are growing. Didn't give us a lot to go off of except lighting.

dilligaf

dilligaf

Most are sativa dom but i did one grow with sensi star which i am pretty sure is indica dom..also have grown blueberry..light buds..may not have had soil ammended right..my soil ph meter never gave me a reading so ph is probably just one of the problems..thanks

D

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

There are many things that go along with dense buds.

Genetics
Grower experience
Medium
Co2
Temps
Lighting
Nutrients
Additives

I just read adding silica thru week 5 or 6 in flower makes some rock hard ass nuggets. Just something I read, I have no proof. But I may try it next run. I normally stop adding silica at flip.

R

rascali

In the glory days of Detroit Iron there was an adage "There is no replacement for displacement". If you're running 400w, expect 400w bud - or in your case with an old bulb, old reflector, old ballast = 280w bud.

Another adage, "you need to spend money to make money, (or good pot!)"

The Terps

The Terps

The wattage doesn't matter as most know, at ideal distances you get more light from a 600 than a 1000 in the case of intensity at each lamps appropriate distance and 400 watts are right in the mix. Again at ideal heights. You just won't produce in all the areas the 1000 watt will produce. The 1000 light will travel further with more energy that's what we call spread.

Mmjcaveman

Mmjcaveman

Toward the flushing phase of your flower regimen, lower your daily temps slowly until you are in the low 60s at night low 70s during the day. I have heard this helps

Mmjcaveman

Mmjcaveman

The plant will actually densen up its buds from cold air I've heard it's the plant keeping its heat as much as possible just like when people gather in a circle to warm up versus being spread around each other

mandalaman

mandalaman

There are many things that go along with dense buds.

Genetics
Grower experience
Medium
Co2
Temps
Lighting
Nutrients
Additives

I just read adding silica thru week 5 or 6 in flower makes some rock hard ass nuggets. Just something I read, I have no proof. But I may try it next run. I normally stop adding silica at flip.

Good to know. Do you find Silica makes the stems more prone to breakage? It's not that they're brittle maybe the stems are so thick that the leverage from bending puts to much pressure on the joint and it pops. Or is that just me being clumsy :|

Mmjcaveman

Mmjcaveman

Strong plant tissues are generated from higher levels of silicon that helps the plant flourish in adverse environmental conditions such as heat, drought or frost. Silica is very effective in both Soil and Hydroponic gardens.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

I use HID Killas lol Cree CXB3590s and genetics play a role.

SAM 1745

dan1989

dan1989

A good bud hardener additive is always a good thing to have. If you can rule out the common problems like PH, lighting etc then maybe it is just genetics, but I like to think you can get nice hard buds from any strain with the right input. Maybe not big ones but hard yes. I use Dutch Pro explode.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Silica is supposed to help build stem .strength, drought, stress, under/over watering. I'll try next run, adding silica thru week 6 in flower.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

There are guys killing it with 315cmh. By the looks of my grow, I'll kill my previous harvests. Went from 3x600hps to 4x315cmh. Less watts, more yield. :)

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Good to know. Do you find Silica makes the stems more prone to breakage? It's not that they're brittle maybe the stems are so thick that the leverage from bending puts to much pressure on the joint and it pops. Or is that just me being clumsy :|

You should be training branches when they are young and fresh.

Harder branches have limits
If you train them gently while fresh, soft and still growing you can basically point them anywhere.

Old hard branches should not be trained. Prone to breakage.

Top Bottom