Bud Goodman's Perpetual Thread of Perpetually Good Buds, Man.

• Thread starter BudGoodman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
interesting about the azomite. A breeder told me use tap water as the minerals help.
Yea, it's apparent mineral composition helps promote seeding formation, no question in my mind about this whatsoever. But beyond that, I think moisture content and temps are key. Too much moisture is definitely a killer.

Sprouts azomite
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Here are some of the ones I'm doing right now, taking a more natural approach. Note the one of the far right, it's taken a hostage. LOL

IMG 0555
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
why did you do that?
Just checking propagation rates, and I forgot about them for a few days. (I think that's like day 4 or 5) All those got separated believe it or not, without a single root broken.

The key with detangling is to keep everything loose and let them detangle themselves, not forcing anything. if you grab one or two by the heads, they will simply unravel. Sort of like a game of Jenga, you got to make strategic choices.

Last edited:
BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
Well... I normally just stick seeds directly into rooters... But those SSSDH are ten years old... Why not?
So... Let's experiment a little.
Here's seven old OG s1's... Last time I tried to germinate these, I stuck them straight into rooters and zero popped after weeks.
IMG 20210226 145101986

To help a little, they are in a vacuum jar.
IMG 20210226 145114505

I'll stick them in rooters tomorrow and label the sinkers and floaters.

All ten of the SSSDH seeds had sunk by late morning.
IMG 20210226 095232307

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
So the floaters are all dead ones? Dried up and hollow in the inside or something? That zkittles plant I popped was fairly old seed from the date put on it, and I've got some others here that are likely over 15 years old, I believe.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
You Mean shit can't be un seen .... Like the pink turkey nut bag you just printed into my brain ? Thanks ....
And whys there another ( pink crocheted nut bag ) one on the table not connected to anything ? Thanks for the double whammy .....
But don't worry , you still get a top poster of the year rating from me , I mean seriously , I'm starting to think people are taking you for granted ....
Every time you post , a perfect grow dream ends or begins

You deserve a theme song ... And bud goodman to the rescue is it ! If we do need to put you in a costume though , it might be one of those gladiator or Viking dudes throwing flame balls ....

Not sure if the wife's crochet work is going to have a place there , maybe someone here can fabricate you a samurai suit or sum ting ....
Or maybe a green jumpsuit , but we'll make sure it dosent make the farm animals horny , don't worry

Ok , I just figured out you're new super hero jumpsuit , a skunk , who flame throws a skunk stink flame out of ....well where ever you choose

Out of your hand / Palm ? Like Spider-Man ...But me personally I'd go with the regular skunk posture
You're too kind... I'm blushing. 😊

Why two?... Some activities require extra nuts. 🤘

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The oldest one is from 2001 actually. Only 2 seeds, I think it's "Bruce Banner"? (BAN) Also, that single Acapulco Gold is supposedly from the 90's I was told.

I need to get this stuff going so it's not lost to time. Could be some useful breeding plants in there.

IMG 20210226 151633081
BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
The oldest one is from 2001 actually. Only 2 seeds, I think it's "Bruce Banner"? (BAN) Also, that single Acapulco Gold is supposedly from the 90's I was told.

I need to get this stuff going so it's not lost to time.
Well if you've got a technique for germinating old seeds, I've got stuff from when Reagan was in office.😱

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Well if you've got technique for germinating old seeds, I've got stuff from when Reagan was in office.😱
I'm interested, I think I've got some pretty decent skills in this department actually. I've been popping some older seeds that were sent to me, with around 30-50% success, and I've given some of them out to others and their not able to pop a single one of them.

But 40 year old seeds? I doubt it. Do you have any pics of them? have they been refrigerated most all of those years?

Here's what I'm finding:
In old seeds the carbohydrates are depleted, they break down with time- the vitamins and minerals as well are "diminished" in the composition of the seed itself. Law of physics- everything breaks down with age....
The seeds often are able to still pop up, but expend what energy they have doing it..
hence the mollasses to replace the carbs, and the kelp to replace the minerals/ vitamins...."

People have indeed got 40 year old seeds to pop, but they usually can't sustain growth for possibly some of the above reasons. But if scientist can get 2500 year old seeds from an Egyptian tomb to pop, then properly stored 40 year old cannabis seeds should be entirely possible.

Certainly would be cool to bring back some of those old school flavors.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Never refrigerated...
Been in many sock drawers and stash boxes.

View attachment 1096594View attachment 1096595
They look like their plenty dry and have been stored well enough, but also still appear to have proper moisture content. No bad signs from what I see. No signs of mold or anything feeding off of them. Look like some good seeds in there. Still got nice color in them as well, My guess is that there's a good chance some of those are good. What's the strain?

My guess is that older seeds are using up tiny bits of energy in their dormate stage, maintaining that dormancy stage and they just need some added attention to compensate, and get them kick started quickly.

Last edited:
BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
They look like their plenty dry and have been stored well enough. Look like some good seeds in there. Still got nice color in them as well, My guess is that there's a good chance some of those are good. What's the strain?
No idea... Got them from a friend's father 25 years ago... Asked him for his "old stuff". It's gonna be whatever was circulating Seattle at the time... Probably a few different in there.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Heck yea! All this ancient seed conversation is good Mojo. See what the cat just dragged in.... (TYVM sambapati) A bag from Thailand containing 1000 Lao Kip and 20 Bhat, (I am rich), 2 nitrile gloves and in the fingers..... I found this..

Indigenous Thai strains...

Capture
Thai strains2
Thai strains
Last edited:
Top Bottom