Bud rot? Now what? Expert help Needed! !

• Thread starter Trekronor420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Trekronor420

Hello and thanks in advance. Ive been noticing couple of yellow dryed out leaves sticking out of bud for a few days now atleast. I havent seen any discoloring, but today when blinding lights went off i used the cameras flash to reveal this. I cant possible fuck up this harvest my wife had a stroke and 2 limbs paralyzed with pain and weed eases the pain greatlt. We cant afford the street prices so this is our only shot. I havent told her yet about this

First grow we had a plant which made all buds in one cola and had a section of bud rot which didnt spread and caused surpirisingly small loss of bud. Same strain sensi seed big bud. This is also from one of the biggest colas. Been flowering 53 days now so its very close to harvest.

What do i do?

Cut the cola from the spot?
Cut the entire cola off?
Harvest entire plant?
Wait for the harvest?(ideal)

There are no signs on other plants, colas or anywhere this is it. This is the biggest and the most important plant. The sheer size is 1m3 only for this plant

I have not scoped the trichomes yet but milky is ideal so the pain killing effecrs are at strongest.

Bud rot now what expert help needed

Moshmen

Moshmen

Hello and thanks in advance. Ive been noticing couple of yellow dryed out leaves sticking out of bud for a few days now atleast. I havent seen any discoloring, but today when blinding lights went off i used the cameras flash to reveal this. I cant possible fuck up this harvest my wife had a stroke and 2 limbs paralyzed with pain and weed eases the pain greatlt. We cant afford the street prices so this is our only shot. I havent told her yet about this

First grow we had a plant which made all buds in one cola and had a section of bud rot which didnt spread and caused surpirisingly small loss of bud. Same strain sensi seed big bud. This is also from one of the biggest colas. Been flowering 53 days now so its very close to harvest.

What do i do?

Cut the entire cola off?
Harvest entire plant?

There are no signs on other plants, colas or anywhere this is it. This is the biggest and the most important plant. The sheer size is 1m3 only for this plant

I have not scoped the trichomes yet but milky is ideal so the pain killing effecrs are at strongest.

View attachment 1267708
Looks pretty moldy I’d cut it out at minimum, def get it out the tent the spores can and will travel -

If I have lite mold I’ve turned into concentrates but that’s pretty bad I’d throw it away

T

Trekronor420

OK dude, lets get this sorted ASAP.

Can you get me pics of the whole grow please?

Do you have temp and RH readings?

Is this soil?

How do you consume?
Thank you appreciated Alot! I have only older photos the lights just went off i cant get better one in 12hrs but i post soon as lights come on. Here are some OLder photos with bad lighting.

I try to keep RH levels at 50% sometimes under, AC dries and cool the air. But sometimes it rise to 70s% for a very short time until i notice and open up the tent until it drop to 50s

Temps are 23-26c
I grow in coco and water twice a day. We use bong and pipe to smoke but are saving for volcano.
20220717 141729
20220717 141747
20220717 142036
20220717 142337
20220717 142451
20220725 142530
20220727 094402

T

Trekronor420

So its seems i cut the entire cola off next morning? Luckily the cola is not in the middle but at side. I cut off and dry and smoke the non infected part.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

So its seems i cut the entire cola off next morning? Luckily the cola is not in the middle but at side. I cut off and dry and smoke the non infected part.
That cola and all other infected tissue.

Your %RH is low, but with big cola plants, pockets of high humidity can exist within the bud. Do you have fans circulating air in there?

Since a few bouts with bud rot, years ago, I've taken to topping plants that produce large colas, until no large colas can be created. Also, some strains are more susceptible than others.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Oh boy... this is not going to be easy to clean, you got a bit of a jungle going on there.

I'm going to make some assumptions and some statements here, you are going to have to figure out what works for you.

#1 - Big Bud is genetically predisposed to bud rot because of the size of the buds and the lack of airflow.
#2 - This is your second grow with bud rot. Need to seriously up the sterilization game between grows.
#3 - There is what I consider way too much foliage in that tent at this stage of the game. Those lower leaves are not photosynthesizing properly any more, but they are working to raise the RH and block air flow, both of which are the primary reasons for bud rot.
#4 - Please don't take this the wrong way - you are just reaching in there handling bud rot with bare hands. In general, working on your plants you need to start clean so you do not introduce bad juju, but right now with confirmed bud rot - you are in emergency mode. Fully gloved, sterile between handling, the whole 9 yards.
#5 - I would cut off the wind right now and carefully eliminate any buds that have rot. Carefully. Do not shake them or drop them, and quickly get them in a plastic bag once you cut them. Spores will get everywhere, and mechanical help to transfer from one bud to the next is your worst enemy.
#6 - I would - after you have carefully inspected every bud and removed the questionable ones, start defoliating from the bottom. I can help walk you thru it if you have not done this before.
#7 - you are going to want to sterilize the tent as much as you can. Everything needs to be clean. Vacuum the floors and the tops of the dirt with a shop vac, but make sure you have a pleated filter in it, otherwise the vacuum can become a super spreader. Wipe down the inside tent walls with w chlorine or alcohol wipe. Fans especially. If you have carbon filter(s) with prefilters, look hard at those and most likely replace.
#8 - Dispose of all the plant material you just took out carefully in a sealed garbage bag outside the house. Empty all the other garbage bags or places near your growspace while you are at it.

OK so now you have done the best you can to stop the rot. What else?

Get the RH down. Somehow.
Keep the fans on. Make sure you have as much air movement thru the buds as possible.
Watch like a hawk for more bud rot to develop. Instantly react if there is any.

Health - please do not smoke or vape any of this contaminated bud. Boytris is incredibly bad for humans, and the moist lung area is a perfect place for it to settle in.

Next - lets just get thru this grow, and when you are done we should look at ways to prevent this and never have this problem again! Prevention is the cure on bud rot.

Ponky

Ponky

For a really thorough disinfection between crops I use ozone and hydrogen peroxide. And it gets so clean you'd think you're having surgery in a swimming pool. But you have to be careful with the vapors and fumes.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm gonna add that once those lights go out, I'll bet your RH is spiking to over 70%. I'd bet my $1 to your donut that your nighttime environment (along with genetics) is the primary issue here. Can you take an RH reading about 45 minutes after sundown tonight? I'll bet you will be surprised.

T

Trekronor420

I'm gonna add that once those lights go out, I'll bet your RH is spiking to over 70%. I'd bet my $1 to your donut that your nighttime environment (along with genetics) is the primary issue here. Can you take an RH reading about 45 minutes after sundown tonight? I'll bet you will be surprised.
Nope actually my meter keep record of the spikes i have 2x400m3 fans with filters blowing air out. When lights go out i keep the tent open for 10mins and its calculated in the cycle so its still few min more than 12hr.

Its the day time when RH may spike with temps but i do my best to open up tent in that case

I have 300m3 ac blowing air out 2x400m3 with filterd and circulations fans too.

T

Trekronor420

This is my 3rd grow second was without. And the first grow the big bud were like a christmas tree it was huge tall plant with almoust everything in one big super size cola it was the biggest cola ive ever seen in any pictures i can post it too. And i flowered it almoust 11weeks becouse pistins didnt turn.

Thank you everyone for responses i provide better images tommorow and inspect every part of the grow. I have limited time at night i cant thank you and provide detailed information and answers rigjht now but first thing in the morning. I will cut the cola off, remove infected part and smoke the rest.

growsince79

growsince79

What do i do?

Cut the entire cola off?
Harvest entire plant?

View attachment 1267708

sambapati

sambapati

This is my 3rd grow second was without. And the first grow the big bud were like a christmas tree it was huge tall plant with almoust everything in one big super size cola it was the biggest cola ive ever seen in any pictures i can post it too. And i flowered it almoust 11weeks becouse pistins didnt turn.

Thank you everyone for responses i provide better images tommorow and inspect every part of the grow. I have limited time at night i cant thank you and provide detailed information and answers rigjht now but first thing in the morning. I will cut the cola off, remove infected part and smoke the rest.
1)Invested in a Hitachi HEPA air filter after having some big chunky colas go bad-- the filter is a pretty good sized one and run it the entire time during flower. I will change the inside filter after 1 year. UV light also helps to eliminate bud rot and enhances the flower's terpene and brix content. I ran the UV light last grow with the Hitachi and had 0 problems.
2) My sympathies for your wife and you are a good guy to care for her in this loving way. Best of luck. Also do everything Moe says -- he is the man!

Madmax

Madmax

Sorry bout your wife mate..thats no good.i hope that she recovers

This^..ive just bought a hepa filter to put on inline vent to stop the spores getting in...my rh isnt bad 42-48atm..but what moe touched on those big buds being dense dont help and all the leaves in there aint helping your circulation.id prolly get rid of half of them..

T

Trekronor420

I have removed the infected cola and after carefull look i have found other smaller cola with beging of budrot in the tip. I removed it too. It wasnt mushy or wet like the first case with the first grow. I used plant tape to seal the cut off parts. So i hope and think it wasnt wide spread becouse the jungle is still there and i havent found any more trouble spots. I think you are right it is somehow related to RH and bud size/big bud "feature".

I admit i suck at defolition becouse i fear i stress the plant prior to transition to 12 12. I removed plenty of material but not enough.

I removed the bad part and took em out of the house and the good parts i took elsewhere to dry aswell.

If i keep watching like a hawk and do my best about the RH i may probably be okay without any further losses since harvest is so close? If i notice any further rot i will remove the part and harvest early on begining of next week when its been 8weeks 12 12

For the next grow i will clean everything very well and do not touch plants bare handed. I try to learn to be more bold with defolition. I just fear the early stress or that i remove the wrong leaves.

I pray this was just a learning point with no major catastrophe and atleast now we have bud drying, getting some early smoke.

Can any1 share their experience when finding budrot did it spread and took everything out or did you just remove the bad parts with no major losses?

And Thank You Moe and every1 who came here fast for the help. I would hug you irl. The fact is with huge electricity bills incoming if this goes to shit we cant possible afford to buy any weed street prices so if i destroed this grow i feel i ruined our lives and left her in pain. Ofc she can live without but life is so much worse and she probably start eating more tramadol and gabapentin and thats not very good. The MJ laws are fucking brutal and medical purpose use is a fucking joke inbmy country with one doctor who describe MJ and even he lost his permission to give descriptions anymore. Opioids and antidesperant drugs are everywhere and not seen bad.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Some words of advice you didn't ask for. Run a dehumidifier at night. Try to get it down to 50% at night. Don't ever be afraid to remove leaves. Especially in the middle of the plant and the bottom. You can remove 90% of the leaves and the plant will still grow nice buds. But you don't have to be that extreme.

Latest posts

Top Bottom