Bud Rott and First frost last night, 2 weeks until finished??

• Thread starter DRONER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DRONER

DRONER

Hey Guys,

Back again with another question, My guys were doing great, sun has been shining and temps have been steafy around 70 - 80 degrees up until last week, 6 out of 7 days last week we had rain and much colder temps. We just had our first ground frost last night which is about 2-3 weeks earlier than normal.

I noticed and pulled off some bud rot on a couple of my plants on Monday, I went back last night and another couple were developpping rot aswell. Now a first friost hit all of them and temps are still low.
My girls still still need about 10 - 14 days left to finish but I'm debating the early harvest or should I just watch very closely and remove rott where I find it??

Please help with any suggestions or advice as this is truly my first year with some beautiful big babies that I don't want to f*ck up!

Tthanks for the quick replies as I'm stressed about this rott problem!

Cheers,

DR

vaporedout

vaporedout

i know what your saying about the weather. its been in the 100's and all of a sudden this last week its rained, been colder than shit, and for the first time in a long time its been HUMID. so i was out there shaking my buds like crazy after all the rains. i even put a fan on under our patio blowing at the girls to assist in drying out the drenched buds. im like you checkin for rot, good luck. also be careful when trimming and curing, make sure you dont use the same scissors to cut off the mold as you do for trimming.

DRONER

DRONER

Thanks vapor,

So you think I should just wait out the storm and check them as much as possible kinda thing?? Only problem is my spot is very remote and I can't get to it at any time. Thanks for the reply!

DRONER

DRONER

If I were to pull everything 2 weeks pre-mature, how much weight percentage do you think I risk loosing??? Please help any advice is greatly appreciated

Camdawg

Camdawg

Id be more worried about wet dog tasting weed. Anyone else think premature pot tastes like eet dogs smell?

Dunge

Dunge

I was forced to harvest a summer light dep tent early two summers ago for cold/wet weather.
I figured that the fungus could spread much faster than the buds can grow.
I would do the same again.

Camdawg

Camdawg

Id also like to add id rather smoke premature weed then not smoke so if you're gonna loose too much pull out early

jaredman

jaredman

this stuff can spread so fast it isn't funny. if you were able to monitor it regularly then maybe try and stick it out but it sounds risky if you are not constantly there.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
a little bit of rot here and there is bound to happen unless you can really be ontop of them. cut it out the best you can make sure not to touch good buds with your fingers that are squishing and pulling rot off. if you have to de leaf a little to clear out soem areas dont be afraid too. chase the leaf petriol inside the bud and cut it to the stalk. pull off any dying fans or leaves that you can as well. the frost is not such a big deal as it gets down to cold only for a little bit then the temp starts rising again. ive knocked snow and ice off of plants and let them finish.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I wouldn't take the chance personally don't see the advantage of buds fatting up over two weeks to having none at all , especially if there not easily accessible ......just my 2 cent

vaporedout

vaporedout

I wouldn't take the chance personally don't see the advantage of buds fatting up over two weeks to having none at all , especially if there not easily accessible ......just my 2 cent

i hear ya but dont most strains really pack on the weight in the last 1-2 weeks?

i smoke weed for anxiety among other things and i can tell you premie weed makes me crazy. from your first post i thought you were in your backyard or close, i would try to make it more accessible if your having rot problems because that can spread fast. so you have some decisions to make

DRONER

DRONER

Well I went in last night, and was not expecting to see what what in front of me, all of my girls were frost bitten to shit, buds all looked fine no burn but the leaves were all yellow and curled upward from the frost we had over night. Will these leaves come back? They don't seem to be dead but more in production mode.. I fear that this may have put any bud development to a hault. And were expecting rain and cold temps for the next three days before it gets sunny and back into the high 70s again.... What should I do?!?!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I seriously doubt it. At this point I'm thinking your best bet is to harvest. You always have the option to take those that you feel are at most risk, and leaving the rest, either individual plants or portions of the plants. But, the conditions you're describing do sound like a recipe for mold to me, and I would be more cautious. It's why I always plan on pulling my OD ladies by the middle of October, because I can never trust what the weather's going to be like and if it's like what you're describing, I absolutely prefer to have them in a bit early and IN, rather than risking the whole season to trying to push things a bit further.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

If you don't want to bring them in than cover them if it's going to be frosty with clear plastic or sheets or what ever. If you have cloudy trichromes chop them, a bird in the hand. Or just take all the main colas and let the rest go for 2 weeks. Just remember another bad frost and they will be NFG so act accordingly. Worst thing is you have weed that produces a very up and active high vs couch lock.

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

A little trick that has always worked for me when mold shows its head is straight h202 sprayed on mold spots kills it instantly stops spread unless you have lots of days of cold wet conditions in a row !Just my 2 cents :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you don't want to bring them in than cover them if it's going to be frosty with clear plastic or sheets or what ever. If you have cloudy trichromes chop them, a bird in the hand. Or just take all the main colas and let the rest go for 2 weeks. Just remember another bad frost and they will be NFG so act accordingly. Worst thing is you have weed that produces a very up and active high vs couch lock.
Based on the advice my Mendocino brothers have so kindly offered, I would suggest using something breathable and staying far away from plastic. It will hold the moisture in with the plants and can make mold worse.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Based on the advice my Mendocino brothers have so kindly offered, I would suggest using something breathable and staying far away from plastic. It will hold the moisture in with the plants and can make mold worse.

Yup that`s true, if your lazy and don`t take the plastic off, I take it all off as soon as the sun comes up so I have had no problems, the dew runs off the plastic which is a bonus. I also fine is much easier to cover numerous plants quickly by myself using a roll of light plastic. (instant green house) I just leave the plastic on the ground and toss it over when I need it. I have been able to finish some late bloomers off into the end of Oct doing this. If you only have a few plants use what you got, just don't leave it on the plants to long when the sun comes up. I used sheets when I only had a few plants out, but as thing got bigger I did not want it to look like a Chinese laundry back in the day, besides having to pick 50 sheets out, what pattern`s to use or go with earth tones or real tree camo LOL this could be fun.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah, they're dealing with pretty heavy rains. Removing the plastic sort of undoes what they were trying to do in the first place. I personally have found it's just better to leave it be until harvest, and always plan on a mid-October harvest.

In southern California, my son found that using plastic created many more problems, I think it's a combination of factors. 1) They're well within the region of the marine layer's humidity causing both much higher humidity and reduced sunlight; 2) Much warmer conditions; 3) Many more pests and pathogens are extremely problematic down there.

frebo

frebo

I seriously doubt it. At this point I'm thinking your best bet is to harvest. You always have the option to take those that you feel are at most risk, and leaving the rest, either individual plants or portions of the plants. But, the conditions you're describing do sound like a recipe for mold to me, and I would be more cautious. It's why I always plan on pulling my OD ladies by the middle of October, because I can never trust what the weather's going to be like and if it's like what you're describing, I absolutely prefer to have them in a bit early and IN, rather than risking the whole season to trying to push things a bit further.
Find stains that finish early. We don't get a freeze until late October but some years the rain starts too soon and we have tried a lot of covers and we have 4 or 5 box fans we put in the garden. International Paper put a paper mill in WEED California because the wind blows all the time there and dries out the logs faster. " a friend in Weed is a friend indeed"

Top Bottom