Bud Structure.... Genetics or The Gardener?

• Thread starter Caninobis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dire wolf

dire wolf

I know what you mean by the despensary look , i think its a result of strain and fine tune nutrient pump

Yea stay away from super leafy , big part of the problem you encountered

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I’d still smoke every last bud you got!
They say perceptions are the eyes of the beholder.
We always want that perfection!
genetics and grow type/region and conditions all play into the end results.
Key is the potential of the genetics first.
Environment /light 2nd
But even given all of that there are some that just won’t be the perfect AAA bud.
But it’s smokable!
Keep at it keep journals and see what does what till u find that “one”! It’s all about stacking up the seasons and learning what works
Cheers and congrats! You did good man!

Caninobis

Caninobis

I’d still smoke every last bud you got!
They say perceptions are the eyes of the beholder.
We always want that perfection!
genetics and grow type/region and conditions all play into the end results.
Key is the potential of the genetics first.
Environment /light 2nd
But even given all of that there are some that just won’t be the perfect AAA bud.
But it’s smokable!
Keep at it keep journals and see what does what till u find that “one”! It’s all about stacking up the seasons and learning what works
Cheers and congrats! You did good man!

Oh i'm definitely still going to smoker every last bud thats for sure and its got a super cerebral high that you just don't get from a lot of strains these days. It smokes like a true sativa. You take a hit and you feel this sensation of clear headed focus that makes doing repetitive daily tasks like doing the dishes actually enjoyable. It has a really weak flavor profile though, which is off because it smells great and when you dry pull on a joint it tastes great but when you smoke it the smell and dry hit flavor just don't come through at all. I noticed that when i grew it outdoor last season but i figured it was due to the fact that all i did was water it with tap water all season and i assumed i dried or cured it wrong but now i'm realizing that its probably just this flower. It was a really pretty plant, has an awesome high, and was fun to grow, but its doesn't check enough boxes to make me want to grow it again. Not to mention it took 13 weeks to finish.....

Growing_Garbage

Growing_Garbage

Theres def some strains that make great nuggets, but they don't all do that. The answer to make that happen on sativa leaning plants is there from Dirtbag too..paclobutrazol. PGRs are for bag appeal, but won't make the smoke better. Minds well be smoking cigs if your smoking that kinda dense buds.

Last edited:
Caninobis

Caninobis

Might have been dried a bit too quickly if it smells good and the dry pull tastes good but the burn doesnt.
I had it hung in my tent in my garage for 6 days and it just so happened to be a rainy week that week so it was a consistent like 68 degrees the whole time it dried. It waited until i could snap a stem then pulled it down, trimmed it, and jarred it up. I might have been able to let it go another day but i was worried it was going to get crispy.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I had it hung in my tent in my garage for 6 days and it just so happened to be a rainy week that week so it was a consistent like 68 degrees the whole time it dried. It waited until i could snap a stem then pulled it down, trimmed it, and jarred it up. I might have been able to let it go another day but i was worried it was going to get crispy.

Yeah that's fast, I aim for 2 weeks hanging on branches. I usually need to keep the room about 15-17 celcius and 60% humidity to stretch it out that long. Any drier or warmer seems to dry them too fast.

Caninobis

Caninobis

What strain was it?
It was supposed to be J1 but my buddy mixed up some of his seed stock during veg it seemed to check all the boxes i was reading online about J1 but i'm not sure what it was because all of its leaves turned completely purple/black during flower and thats not consistent with J1. Orginally he thought it was from a breeding project he did but he ruled that out and now we're thinking its from an accidental Banana OG & J1 cross that happened when one of his plants hermed and pollinated his tent. So, not really sure but we're thinking its something with J1 in it.

Caninobis

Caninobis

Theres def some strains that make great nuggets, but they don't all do that. The answer to make that happen on sativa leaning plants is there from Dirtbag too..paclobutrazol. PGRs are for bag appeal, but won't make the smoke better. Minds well be smoking cigs if your smoking that kinda dense buds.
Yeah i'm not going for that PGR type weed. I'm good on that. Just something that jumps out at you when you open the jar. Something pretty, consistent, and smokes well/is clean. That true top shelf almost rare weed that is just completely well rounded and only comes around every once in a while. There is always that 1 bag you get that you seek out everytime you buy weed after that but can't find until you get that random unicorn again.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

It was supposed to be J1 but my buddy mixed up some of his seed stock during veg it seemed to check all the boxes i was reading online about J1 but i'm not sure what it was because all of its leaves turned completely purple/black during flower and thats not consistent with J1. Orginally he thought it was from a breeding project he did but he ruled that out and now we're thinking its from an accidental Banana OG & J1 cross that happened when one of his plants hermed and pollinated his tent. So, not really sure but we're thinking its something with J1 in it.
Looks like an OG strain for sure

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Look into blue lightning strain. I grew it once and with little effort it turned out just like what you describe as wanting. Tight dense round or oblong nugs with very little leaf matter.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Genetics loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger. It's definitely both, to a limit.

Your buds look great. Do what you can to gain control over your environment since you said that is a potential issue. What were your average day/night temps/humidities?

More light could help, what did you use for this run?

Just remember that what you see at the dispo is their A-grade buds, anything that doesn't meet the cut goes into joints or heads into extraction. What you see on the shelves is just a portion of the overall harvest.
Shelf appeal! I’m more concerned with how she smokes?
Looks like good bud from here, specially your first go! Congrats and enjoy

Caninobis

Caninobis

Shelf appeal! I’m more concerned with how she smokes?
Looks like good bud from here, specially your first go! Congrats and enjoy
Thanks man i appreciate it! I'd like to check both boxes. Something to wow your buddies with when you bust it out and then blow them away when you pass it around, LOL. I mean, i am italian, so its gotta be a little showy... 😂

Vagician

Vagician

Thanks man i appreciate it! I'd like to check both boxes. Something to wow your buddies with when you bust it out and then blow them away when you pass it around, LOL. I mean, i am italian, so its gotta be a little showy... 😂

I think it's equally fun to show people something that isn't as visually appealing which will get them thinking they can take massive bong rips of it. Then when they hit it they are sweating because of how hard and fast it hit them. That'll humble anybody 😆

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I get what you're saying but there is definitely a couple of different "typical" looks.

You've got buds like this that almost resemble mine but they're tighter and nicer and no matter how i trimmed mine up it would never look like that.
View attachment 946794

Then buds like this that are way more uniform and round and solid
View attachment 946795

and then you have bud like mine.

I'm trying to achieve something that looks like the second picture just as a personal preference. So i was wondering if it is something i'm doing wrong, genetics, or both. Seems to be a little bit of both. Obviously i'll never have a million dollar set up that creates a completely perfect environment for growing cannabis so i'll probably never produce something as nice as commercial producers but i've seen lots of guys with home grows pull what i'm looking for and i'm wondering what i need to learn to do the same but i think i have an idea of where i need to improve.
I would take your buds over that 2nd pic anyday and everyday!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom