Bud to wax ratio sorry if dumb question new to doing this.

• Thread starter AttackPanda
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AttackPanda

AttackPanda

I was wondering if anyone knew some kind of bud to wax ratio, as in x amount of bud makes x amount of wax, I've heard an oz is normally used but no amounts of wax are listed, is that due to the differences in THC concentration and stuff? Sorry if this is a dumb question just completely new to this stuff and I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything with the search terms I used. I was looking to possibly use way smaller amounts, like what would a gram potentially make? Just curious as I really like dabs but can't get them often.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I was wondering if anyone knew some kind of bud to wax ratio, as in x amount of bud makes x amount of wax, I've heard an oz is normally used but no amounts of wax are listed, is that due to the differences in THC concentration and stuff? Sorry if this is a dumb question just completely new to this stuff and I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything with the search terms I used. I was looking to possibly use way smaller amounts, like what would a gram potentially make? Just curious as I really like dabs but can't get them often.

Welcome! on the farm as in life, there is no stupid question except the one unasked.

I have only been using a press for about a year. My limited experience and research suggest that interrelationship of quality, age and RH of the bud you are starting with. Then you have to factor in heat and pressure. I found that i "played" around alot; using small 1/4oz batches to practice load my press, getting my folds right and making sure i did not fry the weed block thus ruining the extract. Cleanup can be tricky as well. I would suggest creating a "cold stone" or a "cold table" to work on extract removal from the paper.

If all of this sounds new to you then you have a lot of research to do. I can help you with some of your question. For those that i cannot, i'm sure there is someone on the site that can. There are lots of OG's on this board with oodles and oodles of knowledge to give away.

Good Luck and let me know if i can help.

🍻

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

In my limited experience, it depends on strain and extraction method/technique. Document what you're doing, expect to make mistakes and learn from them. 😋

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

Welcome! on the farm as in life, there is no stupid question except the one unasked.

I have only been using a press for about a year. My limited experience and research suggest that interrelationship of quality, age and RH of the bud you are starting with. Then you have to factor in heat and pressure. I found that i "played" around alot; using small 1/4oz batches to practice load my press, getting my folds right and making sure i did not fry the weed block thus ruining the extract. Cleanup can be tricky as well. I would suggest creating a "cold stone" or a "cold table" to work on extract removal from the paper.

If all of this sounds new to you then you have a lot of research to do. I can help you with some of your question. For those that i cannot, i'm sure there is someone on the site that can. There are lots of OG's on this board with oodles and oodles of knowledge to give away.

Good Luck and let me know if i can help.

🍻
In my limited experience, it depends on strain and extraction method/technique. Document what you're doing, expect to make mistakes and learn from them. 😋

Yeah, I am just starting out, I just did an iso extraction by soaking my few grinders that were caked in residue and got a half gram easily I'd say. Pretty strong stuff too, I know Iso isn't the greatest but it's better than butane IMO, and easier, you just have to make sure to get all the ISO out. I used 91%. I also made sure it was only ISO and distilled water. It turned out pretty good actually, so I was thinking of trying it with a gram of bud and see how it goes. Thank you guys for the advice. I don't know anything about presses or stuff like that, I will look into it, I've heard of using a hair iron or whatever those things are called lol. But when I get a chance I will do an ISO extract and 1g of bud and see what happens and post here.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

As far as rosin goes; I get anywhere from a 15-27% return..depending on strain and pressing factors (heat, pressure, and time). I press when the flower is about 1 week in jars, but never wet when drying.
I use a 12 ton press with 4x7" plates these days.
Hope this helps.

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

As far as rosin goes; I get anywhere from a 15-27% return..depending on strain and pressing factors (heat, pressure, and time). I press when the flower is about 1 week in jars, but never wet when drying.
I use a 12 ton press with 4x7" plates these days.
Hope this helps.
Hey welcome back to another of my threads Buzzer you always seem to help so thank you. Do you know of any way to "press" it and get that without a press? or a way to make something that would work? Also I was wondering if you could check out this grow diary I just posted as it's a continuation on the last thread you helped me with on advice with LEDS, I thought I would continue with a diary. It helps me keep track of things too. This is the thread, you don't have to but if you have time it would be cool. You seem really knowledgeable about this stuff.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Hey welcome back to another of my threads Buzzer you always seem to help so thank you. Do you know of any way to "press" it and get that without a press? or a way to make something that would work? Also I was wondering if you could check out this grow diary I just posted as it's a continuation on the last thread you helped me with on advice with LEDS, I thought I would continue with a diary. It helps me keep track of things too. This is the thread, you don't have to but if you have time it would be cool. You seem really knowledgeable about this stuff.
Hi..been a bit busy, but always glad to help.
I had a look at your grow diary, and from what I can see, all looks fine(HARD TO SEE UNDER BURPLE..plz use room light for pictures)

The only thing that I can think of, without spending big $$ is the hair thing. Your yield will be poor, and the rosin will not be that super terpy since they don't go low enough for that kind of quality..BUT you will get extremely TOASTED!
You only need the hair straightener and parchment paper to do this. I bought my press(s) after playing with a hair thing and wanted more and better rosin.

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

Hi..been a bit busy, but always glad to help.
I had a look at your grow diary, and from what I can see, all looks fine(HARD TO SEE UNDER BURPLE..plz use room light for pictures)

The only thing that I can think of, without spending big $$ is the hair thing. Your yield will be poor, and the rosin will not be that super terpy since they don't go low enough for that kind of quality..BUT you will get extremely TOASTED!
You only need the hair straightener and parchment paper to do this. I bought my press(s) after playing with a hair thing and wanted more and better rosin.

Here ya go, I hope this helps, Thank you for taking the time to help, The white on them in the third picture is the reflection from the flash as it's not in the others, and alright thank you for the tips and everything, I'm not too worried about it as it's just something I wanna try and not make money off of but valid points none the less.

Grow8
Grow9
Grow10
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

They look fine! Are you gonna top? They are pretty bushy and could do with a bit of thinning (don't go nusto, just to get some air flow and light inside the bush.

They may have a little light/heat stress, but not too bad.

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

They look fine! Are you gonna top? They are pretty bushy and could do with a bit of thinning (don't go nusto, just to get some air flow and light inside the bush.

They may have a little light/heat stress, but not too bad.
Idk I am really nervous too lol, I have a lot riding on this grow and didn't wanna mess them up at all, Can you still get good yields without topping? And also ok by that you mean pruning some leaves right? How should I go about that? I am total noon at this so I am just nervous lol, wanna make sure I don't mess anything up. So just take a few weaker leaves then? Or?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Idk I am really nervous too lol, I have a lot riding on this grow and didn't wanna mess them up at all, Can you still get good yields without topping? And also ok by that you mean pruning some leaves right? How should I go about that? I am total noon at this so I am just nervous lol, wanna make sure I don't mess anything up. So just take a few weaker leaves then? Or?
Understood, Yes, you can, but topping will make more tops and help keep your canopy even so the plant ripens more evenly. YOU DON"T have to top, but there is LST (low stress training is simple and effective, and SAFE (google it).

As far as pruning (defoliation), as is the case with most things cannabis..less is more. Start very slowly with a few older fan leaves, and try to expose more of the inside of the plant to air/light. NEVER EVER remove more then 20% of the leaves on a plant (15% to be safe). My eyes suck these days so I pinch off the leaf stems with my fingernails rather then use a shears. You don't want too dense a plant in flower as mold happens.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

BTW..from the looks of the soil, it appears that you are watering more in the center of the plant. You want the opposite! Water more around the outer circumference of the pot to make the roots expand, looking for more water/food.

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

Understood, Yes, you can, but topping will make more tops and help keep your canopy even so the plant ripens more evenly. YOU DON"T have to top, but there is LST (low stress training is simple and effective, and SAFE (google it).

As far as pruning (defoliation), as is the case with most things cannabis..less is more. Start very slowly with a few older fan leaves, and try to expose more of the inside of the plant to air/light. NEVER EVER remove more then 20% of the leaves on a plant (15% to be safe). My eyes suck these days so I pinch off the leaf stems with my fingernails rather then use a shears. You don't want too dense a plant in flower as mold happens.
Ok I will look into the low-stress training as it sounds safer, I'll try topping on the next grow when I don't have more leeway. Alright cool so how do you tell which are the fan leaves? Just so I don't cut the wrong thing lol, that's just the bigger ones, right?

BTW..from the looks of the soil, it appears that you are watering more in the center of the plant. You want the opposite! Water more around the outer circumference of the pot to make the roots expand, looking for more water/food.
And ok thank you I didn't know that I'll do that from now on, I just transferred them 2 days ago, i probably should have mentioned that, but I read that you should pour water right on the stem to break up the rootball, so that's why I did it mostly there, is that correct?

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

Also I wish there was a way to merge threads so we could just go over to the other one more meant for this lol.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Ok I will look into the low-stress training as it sounds safer, I'll try topping on the next grow when I don't have more leeway. Alright cool so how do you tell which are the fan leaves? Just so I don't cut the wrong thing lol, that's just the bigger ones, right?

And ok thank you I didn't know that I'll do that from now on, I just transferred them 2 days ago, i probably should have mentioned that, but I read that you should pour water right on the stem to break up the rootball, so that's why I did it mostly there, is that correct?
Hmmm..I don't, but who knows. I let mine get very thick with roots before up potting. I begin with rockwool cubes>solo cups w/ soil>#1 plastic pots with holes drilled in them for an air pot like effect (air pruning), and finally to the 3 gallon cloth final home pot. In each case, the roots explode outward exploring, finding, and consuming new food sources.

I made the holes with an old soldering iron..This way, I can extend veg time in small pots without root binding (for the most part). I have the opposite problem as most..I do NOT want my plants growing too fast in veg. I usually veg for at least 7-8 weeks.

Air pot 2

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Fan leaves are the big ones with stems attached. try for the older ones before taking the younger ones. Anything in the dirt should be gone as well.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Yeah, I am just starting out, I just did an iso extraction by soaking my few grinders that were caked in residue and got a half gram easily I'd say. Pretty strong stuff too, I know Iso isn't the greatest but it's better than butane IMO, and easier, you just have to make sure to get all the ISO out. I used 91%. I also made sure it was only ISO and distilled water. It turned out pretty good actually, so I was thinking of trying it with a gram of bud and see how it goes. Thank you guys for the advice. I don't know anything about presses or stuff like that, I will look into it, I've heard of using a hair iron or whatever those things are called lol. But when I get a chance I will do an ISO extract and 1g of bud and see what happens and post here.

I use iso as well! Feel free to check out my grow diary for details on what I do.

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

Alright, I was just reading up on rootbound before I transplanted because I thought I may have had them in the small half 2 liters too long, and it said to do that to break up the rootball a bit, I was really praying that I didn't mess up because after I did it I read more on it and found out you might have to score the rootball if it was rootbound, now the roots weren't crazy wrapping around it but they did start poking out the bottom of the 2 liters, But I don't know as it did pop out alright and there was still space for more roots but it was tight if that makes sense. So I'm hoping they spread out well, as I don't know what to do if they don't, when would I notice the symptoms of that?

Thank you that will help a ton!!!

I use iso as well! Feel free to check out my grow diary for details on what I do.
Awesome I will definitely do that, yeah ISO is the easiest for me.

Tag a mod..they may be able to help.
How do I do that? Lol still new to these forums, do you know any mods names?

Top Bottom