Bud Trimming

• Thread starter ArrEll
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ArrEll

ArrEll

Hello all! I'm nearing the end of my second grow, and just wanted to share something I read about, elsewhere.

Bud Trimming:

When buds are a bit more than halfway developed, use clean scissors and cut off the top 1/4" of (a bud). The plant then "directs its energies downward, enlarging the rest of the COLA" - or something like that. I tried it, and it seemed to work just fine. I'm not ready to go wild with the scissors just yet....but the buds I did trim (4) do seem to have thickened, more than the rest. I figured I'd document it here, for everyone's Edification.

Pics are dated. Purple Kush Autoflower, 56 days from seed.

Jan2.jpg

JANUARY 2ND, 2021....cut off the top 1/4 inch...barely enough to notice (as per directions)

jan9.jpg

JANUARY 9TH, 2021 - ONE WEEK LATER Massively Thicker, and so are the lower bud clumps on the same leader.

Notice the difference. Yes, ALL my buds fattened in the past week. But you'll have to take my word for it...these two, fattened MORE. As well, the buds below them thickened significantly. I did this to two of my Smaller buds (wasn't sure if it would work), and they are now BIGGER than all the rest, except the main COLA.

Has anyone else done/heard about this? Input always welcome; I'm a Newbie grower, too. I don't want to be responsible for other people f***ing up their plants, so if you do this based on my say-so, please take it easy...start SLOW. Just do one LITTLE bud.....something you could live without. Please post the results here. Let me/us know, how it went. Cheers! RL

petroleumboy

petroleumboy

That's new to me but it makes sense, similar to topping during veg.

ThisGuy420

ThisGuy420

Hello all! I'm nearing the end of my second grow, and just wanted to share something I read about, elsewhere.

Bud Trimming:

When buds are a bit more than halfway developed, use clean scissors and cut off the top 1/4" of (a bud). The plant then "directs its energies downward, enlarging the rest of the COLA" - or something like that. I tried it, and it seemed to work just fine. I'm not ready to go wild with the scissors just yet....but the buds I did trim (4) do seem to have thickened, more than the rest. I figured I'd document it here, for everyone's Edification.

View attachment 1077469
JANUARY 2ND, 2021....cut off the top 1/4 inch...barely enough to notice (as per directions)

View attachment 1077470

JANUARY 9TH, 2021 - ONE WEEK LATER Massively Thicker, and so are the lower bud clumps on the same leader.

Notice the difference. Yes, ALL my buds fattened in the past week. But you'll have to take my word for it...these two, fattened MORE. As well, the buds below them thickened significantly. I did this to two of my Smaller buds (wasn't sure if it would work), and they are now BIGGER than all the rest, except the main COLA.

Has anyone else done/heard about this? Input always welcome; I'm a Newbie grower, too. I don't want to be responsible for other people f***ing up their plants, so if you do this based on my say-so, please take it easy...start SLOW. Just do one LITTLE bud.....something you could live without. Please post the results here. Let me/us know, how it went. Cheers! RL

I'm definitely trying it next grow. Thanks for the info!!

quirk

quirk

I like the results. Not doing another grow for a few months, but if I remember this (I'm an old) I'm giving it a go. Thanks. Great before and after pics.

ArrEll

ArrEll

I like the results. Not doing another grow for a few months, but if I remember this (I'm an old) I'm giving it a go. Thanks. Great before and after pics.
TY. I looked for the original Youtube video which depicted this practice, and couldn't find it...DOH! But I thank everyone for overlooking the Burnt Tips on my leaves....I only mixed my Fox Farm Tiger Bloom nute to 1/2 strength but it was apparently too much lol. Oh, well. Fresh, clean water for the next week or so should fix it. Will Update this next weekend. Let everyone see the final results.

Anybody know if it would be safe, to give my plant a shot of Molasses, at this time? I'm getting close to harvest.....I expect to begin harvesting my upper buds in about 2 weeks. I know Molasses counts as a "Nutrient", but can it burn my plant, or can it contribute to a Nute Burn situation? Or is it "Safe" to use, no matter what? (One tablespoon per gallon Molasses Tea).

growsince79

growsince79

TY. I looked for the original Youtube video which depicted this practice, and couldn't find it...DOH! But I thank everyone for overlooking the Burnt Tips on my leaves....I only mixed my Fox Farm Tiger Bloom nute to 1/2 strength but it was apparently too much lol. Oh, well. Fresh, clean water for the next week or so should fix it. Will Update this next weekend. Let everyone see the final results.

Anybody know if it would be safe, to give my plant a shot of Molasses, at this time? I'm getting close to harvest.....I expect to begin harvesting my upper buds in about 2 weeks. I know Molasses counts as a "Nutrient", but can it burn my plant, or can it contribute to a Nute Burn situation? Or is it "Safe" to use, no matter what? (One tablespoon per gallon Molasses Tea).
The practice is called backbuilding and people have done it for decades.
Them burnt tips aren't from too much food - its from not enough nutes. Looks way too hungry.

ArrEll

ArrEll

The practice is called backbuilding and people have done it for decades.
Them burnt tips aren't from too much food - its from not enough nutes. Looks way too hungry.
Hi Thanx for responding...Again: Do you think some Molasses Tea would be sufficient, for now?

This is an Auto, and it does not seem to respond well to nutes, even at 1/2 strength.

ArrEll

ArrEll

Bud Trimming:

View attachment 1077469

View attachment 1077470

GDI I'm heartbroken. I killed my plant, with just a few weeks left to go. I overwatered it about 4 days ago and I believe Root Rot set in. My buds all began losing density, getting soft & spongy & shrinking. I have not given it any more water, but it has not dried out and is rapidly dying on me. Anyone know: Would it be safe, to try to dry & smoke the buds not totally caving in? Or would that be unsafe to me? They were not quite ready, with about 80/20 Clear/Cloudy trichomes. If yes, I'll have to act quickly, as it's going Downhill by the hour....

Feeling Humbled.

ArrEll

ArrEll

GDI I'm heartbroken. I killed my plant, with just a few weeks left to go. I overwatered it about 4 days ago and I believe Root Rot set in. My buds all began losing density, getting soft & spongy & shrinking. I have not given it any more water, but it has not dried out and is rapidly dying on me. Anyone know: Would it be safe, to try to dry & smoke the buds not totally caving in? Or would that be unsafe to me? They were not quite ready, with about 80/20 Clear/Cloudy trichomes. If yes, I'll have to act quickly, as it's going Downhill by the hour....

Feeling Humbled.
Yep - it died. I tried to salvage the biggest buds but they had all begun to shrivel & lose mass (weight). They all smelled of Death, and had lost that fuelly Green smell completely, so I cut my plant up & discarded it. I also made a Vow to the Gods of Gardening: (repeat on the blackboard 100 times, Bart):

"I will not Overwater....I will not Overwater....I will not Overwater..."

Moshmen

Moshmen

Sorry ya had a bad experience- give it another go fill us in on the soil your using nutes lights etc ... and the farm will help ya get thru!
Watering wait till that pot is light to lift up - to get a good feel fill a pot with your meadium (dry) pick it up some people even weigh it, lol then don’t water again till your plant feels as light as the empty -

the soil your using may be to hot already whT is it?

ArrEll

ArrEll

Sorry ya had a bad experience- give it another go fill us in on the soil your using nutes lights etc ... and the farm will help ya get thru!
Watering wait till that pot is light to lift up - to get a good feel fill a pot with your meadium (dry) pick it up some people even weigh it, lol then don’t water again till your plant feels as light as the empty -

the soil your using may be to hot already whT is it?
Oh I did it. I'm fully to blame. I overwatered it, the same day I broke off a large branch. I was having a Bad Day. The next day, I suspected I had overwatered it, but after looking into Root Rot online, I decided to just hold off....see if it would recover. I could not remove the plant (with soil & root ball), as I had used gardening stakes through the sides, for tying it down. Within four-five days, it flat died in my arms :( The buds shriveled, lost Mass and their smell changed to that of Death.

I used FF Happy Frog soil, mildly amended with Dr. Earth's Flower Girl bloom booster (organic). After flowering began, I switched to 1/2 doses of FF Tiger Bloom. I only gave her 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. No discernible effect, but I knew better than to Double-Down on it. At one point, with leaf tips browning and turning Up, I added 2 teaspoons pure Epsom Salts. This seemed to help, within about 24 hours. About 10 days went by, and I added (what was supposed to be) the Final fertilizer, again just 1 teaspoon per gallon of Tiger Bloom. No effect. Couple days later, I decided to water her Heavily. I had her in a 3-gallon canvas bag, and wasn't too worried about over-watering...BUT unbeknownst to me, my soil was already getting saturated and compacted. That watering proved to be the Final Straw, and she began dying. Pissed me off, as I had a terrific amount of very nice buds on her....but everything went Bad in a hurry. I waited to see if she would recover, but no.

I already chopped her down & disposed of her. I have a new seed popping now. Afghan Kush. A short plant, it's a Photoperiod. That'll be my new Grow. I also ordered FF Ocean Forest soil and 8 qts of Perlite. This time, I will of course be checking the Heft of the bag, before watering. And a generous amount of Perlite (about 1 quart, to 3 gallons Ocean Forest soil, should help keep the root ball from becoming waterlogged. I read yesterday that my dead plant (Purple Kush Autoflower) is pretty susceptible to root rot, so I'll try Purple again - but not right now.

Live & Learn!

ArrEll

ArrEll

DrEarth

GOOD SOIL, but seems to compact pretty badly, over time.

GOING to use THIS, in my next Grow - with lotsa Perlite

And THIS, mixed 1/2 str, for fertilizer.

That's the Plan, for now. I'm going to research the Afghan Kush plant, for any problems it might be known for. As well, any Input from you guys is welcome.

growsince79

growsince79

Oh I did it. I'm fully to blame. I overwatered it, the same day I broke off a large branch. I was having a Bad Day. The next day, I suspected I had overwatered it, but after looking into Root Rot online, I decided to just hold off....see if it would recover. I could not remove the plant (with soil & root ball), as I had used gardening stakes through the sides, for tying it down. Within four-five days, it flat died in my arms :( The buds shriveled, lost Mass and their smell changed to that of Death.

I used FF Happy Frog soil, mildly amended with Dr. Earth's Flower Girl bloom booster (organic). After flowering began, I switched to 1/2 doses of FF Tiger Bloom. I only gave her 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. No discernible effect, but I knew better than to Double-Down on it. At one point, with leaf tips browning and turning Up, I added 2 teaspoons pure Epsom Salts. This seemed to help, within about 24 hours. About 10 days went by, and I added (what was supposed to be) the Final fertilizer, again just 1 teaspoon per gallon of Tiger Bloom. No effect. Couple days later, I decided to water her Heavily. I had her in a 3-gallon canvas bag, and wasn't too worried about over-watering...BUT unbeknownst to me, my soil was already getting saturated and compacted. That watering proved to be the Final Straw, and she began dying. Pissed me off, as I had a terrific amount of very nice buds on her....but everything went Bad in a hurry. I waited to see if she would recover, but no.

I already chopped her down & disposed of her. I have a new seed popping now. Afghan Kush. A short plant, it's a Photoperiod. That'll be my new Grow. I also ordered FF Ocean Forest soil and 8 qts of Perlite. This time, I will of course be checking the Heft of the bag, before watering. And a generous amount of Perlite (about 1 quart, to 3 gallons Ocean Forest soil, should help keep the root ball from becoming waterlogged. I read yesterday that my dead plant (Purple Kush Autoflower) is pretty susceptible to root rot, so I'll try Purple again - but not right now.

Live & Learn!
Not enough perlite. Add at least 15%

Moshmen

Moshmen

Don’t ammend that soil with anything should have enuff nutes in there to last 3-4 weeks maybe more maybe we will get a fox farm user to chime in ?

Moshmen

Moshmen

Start your seed in a solo then up pot a couple times this will help you with watering and feeding .

Cube

Cube

I use FFOF and I add close to a full 5 gallon home depot bucket of perlite per 1.5cf bag of soil.

This time around I also added 1 1/2 cups of dolomite lime to help with calcium, magnesium, and buffer ph.

Top Bottom