Bud Washing - Stuck in CoVid19 Lock Down with NO Lemon Juice!

• Thread starter tincupbb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tincupbb

tincupbb

I'm close to harvesting my Out Door Grow (first ever grow) plants and need to do a Bud Wash, but I'm stuck with no Lemon Juice.
Any suggestions please?!!
If Lemon Juice is only required to lower pH so that the Baking Soda can do it's job, will vinegar do the job?
Please help!

tincupbb

tincupbb

My problem is getting rid of dirt build-up during an outdoor grow. I don't have powdery mildew. Also don't have peroxide.
The question was; Can I use vinegar instead of lemon juice for an normal, post harvest (out door grow) wash?
Anyone please!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Bud washing is someting new to me. I've never washed any buds except if attacked by white flies... the wash removes the sugar that leaks out from the bugs. I think a good hosing down would accomplish the same thing, but I grow indoors primarily and I'm not familiar with washing, or the need to. Why is it done?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Bud washing is someting new to me. I've never washed any buds except if attacked by white flies... the wash removes the sugar that leaks out from the bugs. I think a good hosing down would accomplish the same thing, but I grow indoors primarily and I'm not familiar with washing, or the need to. Why is it done?
In the video he's washing to get rid of wpm or bugs or something but it was a general guide for the o p

Myself I only Bud wash if I've sprayed anything on a plant stronger than cal-mag at any time during flowering, or burnt sulfur

Terpz719

Terpz719

Sure. Give it a try. See what happens. Lemon juice and baking soda mixed together act as a surfactant, i.e. a natural detergent. Vinegar is an acid like the citric acid, though much stronger. From what I have seen the baking soda and lemon juice is rinsed off afterward with plain water anyway.

So one option would be to just use water in place of the lemon juice and baking soda. The other option would be to use vinegar in place of the lemon juice. I've never tried it, but you could mix some up and run a test. I'd be concerned about my weed smelling like vinegar.. I'd rinse the hell out of it.

You could also google around for a couple of minutes to see what others are doing. Youtube might be a good resource. It would probably be quicker than waiting around here for someone to take time out from their day to try and help you. Getting your questions answered at the Farm depends on who sees your question when - lots of great people with deep knowledge, but it's not google.

tincupbb

tincupbb

Sure. Give it a try. See what happens. Lemon juice and baking soda mixed together act as a surfactant, i.e. a natural detergent. Vinegar is an acid like the citric acid, though much stronger. From what I have seen the baking soda and lemon juice is rinsed off afterward with plain water anyway.

So one option would be to just use water in place of the lemon juice and baking soda. The other option would be to use vinegar in place of the lemon juice. I've never tried it, but you could mix some up and run a test. I'd be concerned about my weed smelling like vinegar.. I'd rinse the hell out of it.

You could also google around for a couple of minutes to see what others are doing. Youtube might be a good resource. It would probably be quicker than waiting around here for someone to take time out from their day to try and help you. Getting your questions answered at the Farm depends on who sees your question when - lots of great people with deep knowledge, but it's not google.
Thanks for this.

Yes. As I understand the chemistry, the acid is needed to liberate the CO2 from the baking soda, forming bubbles that acts like a natural "foam" to assist in removing dirt and grime from the surface of the plant material.
I will definitely allow for the difference in acid strength (citric vs acetic).

I will give it a try and let you know.
It's still about a week from harvesting!
Thanks again.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I only use peroxide and water when bud washing. I would never put lemon juice or vinegar in my solution. Plus the peroxide helps kill any bacteria or fungus that can cause mold when drying.

Top Bottom