Buds: dry or fresh frozen?

• Thread starter mendel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mendel

It looks like we will have a bumper outdoor crop this year. :boogie: We have decided to run a few plants' worth of buds thru our bubblenow xl.

I had planned on stripping the fans off at harvest, them pulling the buds off the stick wet and into bags then the freezer. I am seeing now that some recommend drying the buds before bubbling rather than hashing them fresh frozen.

How do you prepare/run your extra plants thru your bags? Were not sure of how to proceed, as weve only run fresh frozen sugar trim in the past.

G

Green Supreme

If you are an experimental person try both and compare for yourself. If not, wet material makes the meltiest hash. Good luck. Peace GS

Blaze

Blaze

GS is dead on - fresh frozen material makes the best bubble hash by far. The only think I would maybe recommend is to chop up the bud into smaller pieces before your process it through the bags in order to allow the trichromes that would be on the inside of the larger buds to break free. The more surface area your material has the better when making bubble hash IME.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Buds for hash ?

I love hash myself, but I believe you are wasting your buds making them into hash. I only use the leaves for making hash, unless you have an endless supply of weed. The return you get out of making your buds into hash isn't equivalent to the return of selling or smoking the weed. My philosophy is smoke buds, make leaves/scraps into hash, oil, or budder etc.

mal

M

mendel

The bubblenow does an absolutely crappy job of removing trichs from even chopped buds. We ran it 4 15 minute cycles and still had poor yeilds. Handmixing seems to be the way to go for extracting trich heads from buds.

G

Green Supreme

Mendel you are literally the first of so many I have heard complain. Hmmm nuff said. Peace GS

M

mendel

Im not sure I understand your statement, that being said.....

I would recommend the various hash agitators for running sugar trim, they do a great job and save lots of time. I think they produce a good quality end product with much less effort on the processors part. I think they are a good buy.

I didnt have the same results with fresh frozen chopped buds. I used copious amounts of ice, and didnt overfill the bag. I do not think that the machines are rough enough with the bud to get all the heads off. The handmixer seems to work better (yeild more) in that regard, as it literally beats the crap out of the weed.

regards, mendel

G

Green Supreme

Beating the crap out of weed also adds more green matter, also increasing your "Yield". Peace GS

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
your gonna get way less yield with fresh frozen material, but way better quality. I have never heard of anybody using buds fresh frozen though and that seems like it would be a huge waste. dry those buds and then see how well the bubble XL yields. If you use the mixer method (beating the weed to shit) it will reduce the quality considerably.

D

DrGreenGenes

Once the wet buds are frozen solid, quickly crunch them up as you pull them from the freezer and throw them in the bubblenow... It'll help... Your bound for fullmelt loveliness one way or another I'd imagine.... This year had some SUPERCRUNCH OUTDOOR> YES :animal0057:

T

theDANKman420

dont use dry stuff man, you will be super disappointed with what you could have made from fresh trimm or buds. my friend who got taught by the bubble man himself (childhood friend) that you will get the best and meltyist bubble with fresh not frozen too long trimm but thats just my opinion man..

Blaze

Blaze

Mendel you are literally the first of so many I have heard complain. Hmmm nuff said. Peace GS

I've never been impressed with the bubblenow, or any other the other current hash machines on the market either. I've used a few of them, and I have always pulled better quality and weight with hand mixing, as have most of my friends who have used them. You have to remember they are all washing machines which were not designed for this task and IMO do a very poor job properly agitating your bubble hash material.

Also they don't save any extra time, 5-10 minutes of mix time is still 5-10 minutes regardless if it is me or the machine doing it. Not to mention a lot of the machines go for $400-$600, which is outrageous when all they are is RV washing machines with a fancy sticker on them - you can buy the exact same machines for $200 or less. Not to mention I don't see much point in spending even $200 when I can get better results with something that costs under $5.

J

jae512

idk ive tried both ways numerous times and get different results on both ends...all the time...i think ima stick with the one that take less effort....=]...

B

Buddy Flowers

^^ easy way out....it'll show in the end. always does, hoss

M

mendel

mendel- greenhouse?

yea, I have a greenhouse..........:pimp: .........actually its a coldframe.

Blaze ive found the bubblenow to work very well for hashing sugar trim, the same or better results than hand mixing. The trim is never touched by anything but ice and the bag. Ive done 3 runs with the bubblenow of 15 min per on one bagful and still not been able to induce green water. 45 minutes with the mixer, even with one beater, will assure you some pea soup. I cant be bothered to stir with a spoon, it just isnt worth it. I find handmixing to be practical only with small lots.

FWIW, the runs turned out well, I did them by hand w a mixer and one beater. I didnt have any issues with green hash, the recipients of my labors were all quite happy with the results.

I will continue to use the bubblenow for fresh frozen trim. It works best with least effort for me.

Blaze

Blaze

Now that looks like some dank! I can see lots of in-tact trich heads and it's got a really nice light color to it. Yum!

G

Green Supreme

I've never been impressed with the bubblenow, or any other the other current hash machines on the market either. I've used a few of them, and I have always pulled better quality and weight with hand mixing, as have most of my friends who have used them. You have to remember they are all washing machines which were not designed for this task and IMO do a very poor job properly agitating your bubble hash material.

Also they don't save any extra time, 5-10 minutes of mix time is still 5-10 minutes regardless if it is me or the machine doing it. Not to mention a lot of the machines go for $400-$600, which is outrageous when all they are is RV washing machines with a fancy sticker on them - you can buy the exact same machines for $200 or less. Not to mention I don't see much point in spending even $200 when I can get better results with something that costs under $5.

Aight I go with time, how about energy? Less energy expended works for me. Bubbleman pretty much shows me the nicest hash and this is the method he chooses. Nuff said for me. Good luck. Peace GS

Blaze

Blaze

They are less energy but I've found the Bubble Nows and washing machines are in fact much slower than a hand mix. Something about the vortex action and the even distribution of ice and material you get with the hand mix strips the trichrome heads much faster and more effectively. You can see the difference when you put the spent material and the finished hash under a microscope. The machines usually take a good 15 minutes or more to remove most of the heads, where as the hand mix can do it in 5-8 minutes with a 99%+ extraction of the trichrome heads. It is a bit more work to do it this way but it can be over twice as fast, and you tend to get a slightly better extraction resulting in better yield and quality. With a canoe paddle and a 20 gallon bubble bag set one can make as well over a quarter pound of full melt in two hours. A hand mix also does not dislodge the trichrome stalks, which is very common with mechanical methods, so you do tend to get a more pure extraction since you are just collecting mostly in-tact tirchrome heads and little else.

Top Bottom