buds smell bad - moldy

• Thread starter msp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
msp

msp

Hi,
I started an autoflower and it's been 2 weeks into flower. Growing in pro mix soil mixed with 30% coco coir. I've been keeping temperatures and humidity as optimal as possible (22-28C / 50-60% rh).
Buds are developing fast, she's been stacking for the last week like crazy and looks pretty healthy, altho it's my first grow.
I'm starting to smell bad odor - moldy, just like when you open dishwasher after a day with very soft "marihuana" smell. I'm worried my plant will develop mold if it hasn't already.
Is it normal for buds to smell moldy in early flower stages? Please advise.

Buds smell bad   moldy
Buds smell bad   moldy 2
Buds smell bad   moldy 3
Buds smell bad   moldy 4
msp

msp

dinafem critical + 2.0 auto from seed, also using inline fan 107 m³/h and exhaust fan 220 m³/h with small carbon filter. 2 pc fans to move air inside the tent. Airflow seems ok, I leave tent open at the bottom and I can feel soft airflow from outside. Should I use dehumidifier to get RH below 45%? Can too low humidity in flower be problematic?

ChaoticNeal

ChaoticNeal

45% is fine man some growers will lower there humidity lower than that during flower to encourage extra crystal development. She looks good is the smell the only thing that makes u think there’s mold or does she have any other signs.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Is there a grey to brown discolouration in any of the buds forming ?

msp

msp

Thanks for replies,
Mostly smell yes, I was expecting typical "marihuana" smell and there is almost none. Buds really smell like dishwasher :) and only buds. Stems around the buds are sticky like butter and those smell nice, leaves have typical chlorophyll smell.
There are some bright green spots on highest leaves and some stems on top got red, maybe too little magnesium.
I was also thinking to remove more leaves, would that help preventing bud rot?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I can see a little leaf tip burn , showing the soil mix is a little hot in N , but I cannot see any Botrytis on any of the plant .

msp

msp

Yes too much N in soil, I was only using kelp and cal-mag in veg and now i'm adding some alga bloom nutrients.
Color of buds isn't too clear like it was a week ago, I'd say it has gray-brown maybe even purplish tan when looked from a distance.
Added 2 photos it doesn't show very good on photos.

20200514 124600
20200514 124634
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yes too much N in soil, I was only using kelp and cal-mag in veg and now i'm adding some alga bloom nutrients.
Color of buds isn't too clear like it was a week ago, I'd say it has gray-brown maybe even purplish tan when looked from a distance.
Added 2 photos it doesn't show very good on photos.
Still can’t see any Botrytis at all , good luck with the rest of the grow .

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
Hi,
I started an autoflower and it's been 2 weeks into flower. Growing in pro mix soil mixed with 30% coco coir. I've been keeping temperatures and humidity as optimal as possible (22-28C / 50-60% rh).
Buds are developing fast, she's been stacking for the last week like crazy and looks pretty healthy, altho it's my first grow.
I'm starting to smell bad odor - moldy, just like when you open dishwasher after a day with very soft "marihuana" smell. I'm worried my plant will develop mold if it hasn't already.
Is it normal for buds to smell moldy in early flower stages? Please advise.

So my first couple of flower cycles. I was a bit perplexed because I kept smelling the same thing. Every strain is different, but most I have grown all have that same kind of smell and it is not like what you are expecting... Its first thing in the morning here, and still dark in my room, but I can smell the plants from here. The best way I can describe is ALMOST like mold but not quite. Its probably just the resin glands spreading thier wings. But all the more reason to get your watering dialed in...Keep an eye on it and i am sure you will be fine.

msp

msp

So my first couple of flower cycles. I was a bit perplexed because I kept smelling the same thing. Every strain is different, but most I have grown all have that same kind of smell and it is not like what you are expecting... Its first thing in the morning here, and still dark in my room, but I can smell the plants from here. The best way I can describe is ALMOST like mold but not quite. Its probably just the resin glands spreading thier wings. But all the more reason to get your watering dialed in...Keep an eye on it and i am sure you will be fine.
That's very comforting, thanks for your info.

Rooke

Rooke

She looks fine, good on you for keeping a close eye on her. Try to keep your rh at 50-45 % no higher and you should be fine. Well done!

Reactions: msp
Rooke

Rooke

nice stakes...i dig it.

your air is moving around, right? and when you water you aren't letting the pot sit and soak in the runoff, right?
like they say, necessity’s the mother of invention!!!!

msp

msp

nice stakes...i dig it.

your air is moving around, right? and when you water you aren't letting the pot sit and soak in the runoff, right?
Airflow is good, I do smoke in the same room sometimes that's not ideal, smoke also makes co2 sensor detect up to 3000 ppb and tvoc up to 500, besides that air is always fresh.

I have alot of doubts about watering. My smartpot 20l filled with coco and soil can absorb literally 10l of water without any runoff so I only had runoff water once in early veg, since then I was watering about 2l of water when soil felt dry like 5 cm under about every second day until recently, now i'm watering every day 1-2l because soil gets dry quicker. I'm planning on doing flush in few weeks and I'll water until runoff then.

I'm still looking for good watering practice if you have suggestions please advise.

YinYang420

YinYang420

Airflow is good, I do smoke in the same room sometimes that's not ideal, smoke also makes co2 sensor detect up to 3000 ppb and tvoc up to 500, besides that air is always fresh.

I have alot of doubts about watering. My smartpot 20l filled with coco and soil can absorb literally 10l of water without any runoff so I only had runoff water once in early veg, since then I was watering about 2l of water when soil felt dry like 5 cm under about every second day until recently, now i'm watering every day 1-2l because soil gets dry quicker. I'm planning on doing flush in few weeks and I'll water until runoff then.

I'm still looking for good watering practice if you have suggestions please advise.
im trying to get myself into an automatic watering system for my garden. its taking a lot of researching been trying to work it out for 2 months now

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

im trying to get myself into an automatic watering system for my garden. its taking a lot of researching been trying to work it out for 2 months now

I use drip in my garden. You can buy a timer to automatically water. Set a couple drip nozzles or one depending on the Gal/hr you choose. I have been thinking about it too.
Screenshot 20200510 145211 eBay

ChaoticNeal

ChaoticNeal

If u want a drip system that’s good I’d go for a submersible pump and a digital timer like Bogart has there.

Top Bottom