Bugs in new coco!

• Thread starter whiskeygirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bucketcleaner48

sectracide was instant kill. i killed the flyers with neem. i havent seen a bug in a week. yesterday i did a bayer tree and shrub dunk at 6tsp/4gallons h2o, so a heave 5ml/gal dose. no ill effects on the plants. oh, i did my spec at 30ml per gal. the bugs dies on contact. im using the bayer cause its systemic, luckily im still vegging. next week i will spec treat again, and then one more bayer dunk. hopefully i never see another one again.
i did just pick up some coco (im in ebb and grow buckets with hydroton right now) that im going to treat with spectracide right off the bat. its brick so ill be expanding it using spec. ill bayer soak in a week. i looks like ill be treating vegging plants every week till flower. once in flower ill treat with azamax/trol whatev, every 2 weeks just in case...

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

Thanks everyone for your input on this. We were trying to figure out whewre we were getting our bugs from and as we finally knocked the bugs down wih the nuke cocktail bombs. I transplanted and in doing so moved a new cut to a dixie with fresh from the bag coco.
I use some clear plastic containers for small projects or singles. Wouldnt you know it... i go to mist the container to keep the RH up and theres 2-3 flyers in that F'ing thing. Damn the bastards carrying and packaging our coco. From here on out I WILL NOT be using Coco untill after I bake that crap. I use a mix of bennies anyway so to hell with the nutes that come in there, ill pass on those and the damn bugs!
FYI we used Azamaz, Neem, Cedar oil, Pyrith, DH and benies 1x a week for 2-3 weeks.. Alternating. not to say they are gone for sure but they have yet to be seen again outside the damn new cut in the solo cup.:mad:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you haven't planted in it yet, why not drench it thoroughly for 10mins with extremely hot water? It's a 100% kill rate if it's 125*F+.

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

Thanks Sea I was debating on baking it or drenching it. Hot water is a hard thing to get copious amounts of out to where everything is at. Same with bringing all the coco to the hot water source. But I suppose I could do it a little bit at a time. would be the same as trying to bake that crap or anything like that now that I think about it.
NM Ill try a nice hot water bath. Do you let it steep or just dtw? and then do you hold it in sealed containers to keep it sterile till you use it?

Thanks
PnL

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How about a trash can or three, filled with the coir? Then get one of those turkey friers and a great big wort pot, fill it up with water and you're off to the races.

I am really wanting one of those on-demand water heaters for my jet tub. It would also be highly useful in this scenario. You need it to stay hot for about 5mins for a 100% kill rate, but if you don't want to let it sit then maybe you can hook up a hose to a hot water heater and just let it rip for a few minutes. I hold my coir in plastic bins, I don't see how or why RAs would gravitate towards media that has no plants growing in it. I have a bin with 3yo coir, no bugs at all.

squiggly

squiggly

ya because me and half the other people on this board who actually had and have root aphids decided we didnt want the quick fix that would just kill them dead. We decided to take the hard way kill all our plants, use crazy mold spores and other treatments that are questionable and expensive when something as simple as Permethrin/Pyrethrum would have killed them. Oh yea and Im sure none of us tried that either while we were at it.

Are you an entomologist?

Because you're speaking on these things with the confidence of one.

I don't doubt your experience (not even for a millisecond) but what you've failed to account for in your analysis here is that every RA in the world is not genetically the same.

Some populations have developed resistances, others weaknesses, and so on. This should not be surprising, it's how life works.

I don't blame you for doubting this--however, I think you're a bit silly to overload on sarcasm to mock someone who's situation you have zero direct experience with, and who's insect population you've never observed.

The truth is that you can't know for sure what will or won't kill bugs that are miles, if not hundreds or thousands of miles, away from you. It's just not a scientifically sound assumption, not by a long shot.

By laying the sarcasm on so thick, all you've done is projected blatant overconfidence (even if you happen to be right). A little discretion goes a long way when discussing questions which have discrete answers (even if we don't know what those are).

What you are is convinced, but that doesn't make you correct. You should be assured that you are the latter before queuing up the sarcasm.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I successfully got rid of RA's over a year ago.
I had them in my mothers and in my UC. I used a spectracide drench, and then i put met 52 in my nutes (not available in cali, got it from ebay).
after 2 spectracide drenches they were gone and never saw them again.
some people seem to have ALOT more trouble with them, but I believe they can definitely be overcome. Dont give up, just stay vigilant. keep your rooms super clean and keep old dirt/plant matter disposed of.

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

Good responses from everyone above.. Sealed, Squig and Sea.
@ Sea -- Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have a line on those instant water heaters, and thought maybe i should put one in my spot. They are badass! And I dig your style there woman... maybe I should put in a hot tub next to the grow to so i can soak my old bones while i smoke test and watch the ladies grow! ;)

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Good responses from everyone above.. Sealed, Squig and Sea.
@ Sea -- Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have a line on those instant water heaters, and thought maybe i should put one in my spot. They are badass! And I dig your style there woman... maybe I should put in a hot tub next to the grow to so i can soak my old bones while i smoke test and watch the ladies grow! ;)

I use a water cooled co2 gen that is essentially a tankless hot water heater.
If I ever have a problem again ill probably just use the waste water from it to treat the coco.

Top Bottom