Bugs? Mites? Or am I just tripping?

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

I just put these outside within the last week. I was already afraid of bugs in doing so and now I see this. I'm thinking it is, and possibly mites. I scoped some leaves with a digital scope up 1000x. But I still couldn't get anything that jumped out. Take a look

Here's the overall plant
Bugs mites or am i just tripping 10

Bugs mites or am i just tripping 9

Bugs mites or am i just tripping 8

Here's the leaves I scoped

Bugs mites or am i just tripping 5

Bugs mites or am i just tripping 6

Bugs mites or am i just tripping 7

And here's what I saw under the microscope. It looks like it could be eggs. But I'm also not sure because I don't know if it's some sort of gland on a molecular level being zoomed in so close. The problem is, they don't show up zoomed out. Also, What I think may be a bug, I couldn't get a clear shot at any magnification. This was the best I could do.

Bugs mites or am i just tripping

Bugs mites or am i just tripping 2

Bugs mites or am i just tripping 3

Bugs mites or am i just tripping 4

So far I'm only noticing this on two of the plants.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What are your temps outside day/night? Lots of purpling there did that happen when they were put outside? Colder temps slow the plants ability to move nutrients from the roots.

Don't think its bugs at all but a nutrient issue... why? I'm not sure yet.

Phylex

Phylex

We were in the mid 80's a week ago. Then we had this late cold front just come through. It's been in the very low 50's at night and mid 60's during the day.

Phylex

Phylex

As far as the purpling, it's been like that before I moved it outside. I really pissed it off with training. It didn't like it at all. But all of the others are fine. I only moved them outside because I ran out of room for them in the veg rack. They will be going into my flower tent once those girls finish up in the next couple of weeks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

We were in the mid 80's a week ago. Then we had this late cold front just come through. It's been in the very low 50's at night and mid 60's during the day.
Without more info I would say its very likely just from the temps.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

As far as the purpling, it's been like that before I moved it outside. I really pissed it off with training. It didn't like it at all. But all of the others are fine. I only moved them outside because I ran out of room for them in the veg rack. They will be going into my flower tent once those girls finish up in the next couple of weeks.
Then there may be a bit of an issue with nutrient uptake. Might be PH, might be temps, might be roots, Hard to say, when you change temps, humidity and light source it changes the rate of uptake and you may have to adjust your feed. If you can list all the parameters and info you can including issues that you had during the grow it may help to narrow it down. I can tell you its definitely not chronic overfeeding but don't take that as feed more. Really I think its more temp related and possibly PH or light nutrients but you need to fix the temp issues first.

Phylex

Phylex

Then there may be a bit of an issue with nutrient uptake. Might be PH, might be temps, might be roots, Hard to say, when you change temps, humidity and light source it changes the rate of uptake and you may have to adjust your feed. If you can list all the parameters and info you can including issues that you had during the grow it may help to narrow it down. I can tell you its definitely not chronic overfeeding but don't take that as feed more. Really I think its more temp related and possibly PH or light nutrients but you need to fix the temp issues first.

I can run with that for bit. As long as its not bugs and I don't need to treat for said bugs. I've kept them under a covered patio all week to harden them up before sticking them directly in the sun. They were under T5's. They haven't seen direct sun yet because now this front rolled through and we're getting rain. I didn't expect anymore rain, but it wouldn't have mattered considering they've outgrown their previous home. This time of year is typically 70's-80's, and sunny. All of the details are in my grow log. Feeding and PH aren't a concern. But like you suggested, it could very well be the transition from indoor to out, and current weather conditions. Thank you.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Looks like it could be nutrient burn and deficiency. Or that pattern looks like mites like you say.

Cant see much from the microscope pics but those spheres could be stalkless trichomes like i saw when i first thought i had a bug problem. Turned out to be too cold temps at the root zone.

I would at least blast them off with a hose or wipe the leaves with iso alcohol. Then keep an eye.

I would never bring plants that were outside in to my growrooms.

London bud

London bud

@Phylex In my humble opinion I get the impression your a good knowledgeable grower who knows there shit, you've given me some great food for thought and advice on here.
Normally my first thought would have been a ph issue but when it's you I know that ain't the problem. I'm inclined to agree with @Aqua Man , could well be the change in environment

Phylex

Phylex

Looks like it could be nutrient burn and deficiency. Or that pattern looks like mites like you say.

Cant see much from the microscope pics but those spheres could be stalkless trichomes like i saw when i first thought i had a bug problem. Turned out to be too cold temps at the root zone.

I would at least blast them off with a hose or wipe the leaves with iso alcohol. Then keep an eye.

I would never bring plants that were outside in to my growrooms.

I hear ya on bringing outside to inside. I couldn't agree more. It certainly wasn't my plan. I ended up waiting a few weeks longer than expected on my new LED grow lights and it threw the timing of everything all off. They just outgrew the rack. So it is what it is. A lesson learned. I've been worried about the thought they may get infested with bugs leading up to putting them outside knowing they would be out there for a couple of weeks. At least they won't contaminate other plants. They'll be going in the tent all by themselves. Worse case, they get infested and I have to treat them all anyway. Not to mention hoping I sterilize everything adequately enough before the following grow. Best case, the weather starts cooperating, they remain bug free, and some nice big plants get flipped to flower.

Looking at my weather app, the temps have dipped into the mid to upper 40's in the middle of the night. The root zone is definitely getting cold. But it's a pretty hardy plant. I'm sure they'll be fine. They may have some battle scars afterward, but I don't think it isn't anything they can't bounce back from.

Off topic, but you and I were discussing my taps ppm. I guesstimated 220-250 ppm from memory. My memory failed me. I tested it this morning and it was 186-188. I'd bet my memory on 220-250 was after I had added a small dose of cal/mag a couple of months back.

I'd lean more towards deficient and lack of nutrient uptake. I haven't hit these with any heavy dosages yet. I've also been a lot more focused on my flower tent lately.

Phylex

Phylex

@Phylex In my humble opinion I get the impression your a good knowledgeable grower who knows there shit, you've given me some great food for thought and advice on here.
Normally my first thought would have been a ph issue but when it's you I know that ain't the problem. I'm inclined to agree with @Aqua Man , could well be the change in environment

That's very kind of you to say, but I certainly wouldn't say I know my shit. I've only been growing for a year. I'm still learning something new just about everyday and I have a lot left to learn that's for sure. I'm just doing the best I can and thankfully each time it's been getting better. I'm still waiting for a perfect grow without issue. I've learned a lot from so many others on here that would run circles around me.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I hear ya on bringing outside to inside. I couldn't agree more. It certainly wasn't my plan. I ended up waiting a few weeks longer than expected on my new LED grow lights and it threw the timing of everything all off. They just outgrew the rack. So it is what it is. A lesson learned. I've been worried about the thought they may get infested with bugs leading up to putting them outside knowing they would be out there for a couple of weeks. At least they won't contaminate other plants. They'll be going in the tent all by themselves. Worse case, they get infested and I have to treat them all anyway. Not to mention hoping I sterilize everything adequately enough before the following grow. Best case, the weather starts cooperating, they remain bug free, and some nice big plants get flipped to flower.

Looking at my weather app, the temps have dipped into the mid to upper 40's in the middle of the night. The root zone is definitely getting cold. But it's a pretty hardy plant. I'm sure they'll be fine. They may have some battle scars afterward, but I don't think it isn't anything they can't bounce back from.

Off topic, but you and I were discussing my taps ppm. I guesstimated 220-250 ppm from memory. My memory failed me. I tested it this morning and it was 186-188. I'd bet my memory on 220-250 was after I had added a small dose of cal/mag a couple of months back.

I'd lean more towards deficient and lack of nutrient uptake. I haven't hit these with any heavy dosages yet. I've also been a lot more focused on my flower tent lately.

When plants are started outside they are much hardier to the sunlight and cold nights. Maybe put a cover over them at night. I believe they call it a cloche (sp?).

And i would want to know what is in that tap water. It could be more than acceptable.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

When plants are started outside they are much hardier to the sunlight and cold nights. Maybe put a cover over them at night. I believe they call it a cloche (sp?).

And i would want to know what is in that tap water. It could be more than acceptable.
i agree,im thinking stress from the move,a garbage bag over plant at night would help straw or pine neddles around base of pot too,i wouldnt take them back inside if you can grow outdoors,i have never seen any plant outdoors that dont have some type of bug,trick is keep them leaves shiny and most will be gone,you cant control them at all but neem oil is magic garden side if you dig,coming from t5 to direct light is a big thing and they will stress a little ,as your doing hardening off is the key,another thing them plants will explode with father sun and you will be impressed as soon as you sort things out,jmo

Top Bottom