Bugs? Oh NO!

• Thread starter DiverDown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DiverDown

DiverDown

I just noticed this hole today, bugs!!! What should I do? If I close the hole and a bug is in there, it will keep eating, right? Maybe flush with water and cover with duck tape? I don't even have pistils yet!!!! First crop!

Bugs  oh no
Bugs  oh no 2
Bugs  oh no 3
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

take a little piece of wire,i use a paper clip,about 1/8th from the tip bend it over make a small hook ,not sharp just a closed end ,fish that wire in the hole and carefully give a little twist,if any resitance dont force,what your digging for is a boer worm,i get them all the time on my squash,pumpkins,called the squash vine boer worm,them bastards will dig in any vine that is hollow like the magic weed,if there is any in it,should be just one hole and it will look like eggs coming out of it,yellowish,that is it shit,twist the paper clip and slowly pull the worm out,be white with a black or brown head,smash his ass,if it gets free keep the bitch there hahahh,give it a shot,if the plant looks fine during early morning and when sun starts to go down ,but during day plant looks like melted wax on the leaves,id bet that what you have,they start out like a speck of dirt on your stems,in one day the speck will turn orange,next day there will be a hole and it going to work,eats all the tissue from inside the stalk and there mean,no for sure stoppege in there live cycle,when it matures is turns to a moth and goes to next plant lays eggs and dies,relentless ,ive tried every damn thing for preeventive maintence and only staying at them with that paper clip works

DiverDown

DiverDown

take a little piece of wire,i use a paper clip,about 1/8th from the tip bend it over make a small hook ,not sharp just a closed end ,fish that wire in the hole and carefully give a little twist,if any resitance dont force,what your digging for is a boer worm,i get them all the time on my squash,pumpkins,called the squash vine boer worm,them bastards will dig in any vine that is hollow like the magic weed,if there is any in it,should be just one hole and it will look like eggs coming out of it,yellowish,that is it shit,twist the paper clip and slowly pull the worm out,be white with a black or brown head,smash his ass,if it gets free keep the bitch there hahahh,give it a shot,if the plant looks fine during early morning and when sun starts to go down ,but during day plant looks like melted wax on the leaves,id bet that what you have,they start out like a speck of dirt on your stems,in one day the speck will turn orange,next day there will be a hole and it going to work,eats all the tissue from inside the stalk and there mean,no for sure stoppege in there live cycle,when it matures is turns to a moth and goes to next plant lays eggs and dies,relentless ,ive tried every damn thing for preeventive maintence and only staying at them with that paper clip works
Holy Moly!!, Thanks so much, I am on it! I hope it's not too late!!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Holy Moly!!, Thanks so much, I am on it! I hope it's not too late!!
i just harvested my last squash couple weeksago,i took the time to dig them out to see how many i had and to kill there ass so they wouldnt produce more,i dug 20 out of one plant,7 on another,16on last one,2 were at transformation time,the plant still grows but slow and as mentioned only droops when sun is out,in shade or close to dusk and dawn plants look beautiful even flowers open ,soon as the sun come out flowers closeup and even with hand pollinating they die,goggle squash vine boer worm ,nasty bastards,dont try to dig in the plant,you will feel were the worms have been and there right close to there shit,even if you cant dig it out the twisting will shred um,like i say i never seen it in pot but doesnt surprise me,any hollow stalk they get in and destroy the plant,i plant indoors and move my stuff outside as soon as i can because of them,they start showing up around mid april and august is there prime time,i think i read it takes 21 days to turn into moths,i got 2 sets in before they hit the third,when im eating a bunch of squash off plant all good,when i slow to about 3 squash a day off the one plant,it gets the axe and i replant,lost 2 stands of corn this year to corn ear worms,cobs were fine but ugly id you dig,presentation of corn with tops cutoff arent really appealing ,but i still give crap load away,same with tomato plants,rocking and rolling then notice leafs gone,bunch,in all that foilage you cant see there camoed ass,go out in the dark with flash light in hand and they cant hide no more,plant is darker,i pulled 46 tomato horn worms off one plant,next day i finished taking off foilage they didnt get to finish the tomato's,in 2 days they wiped out all but a 5 gal bucket full of loose leaves,i was okay with that too,most folks take all foilage away and grow shit out of them,these bastards were chewing the tomato and then they be gone,i put all them in a jar and let sit in the sun for a day,they melted to a brown slurry of stinky shit,i took the after math and feed it right back to the other tomato plant i had beside it,dont ever grow floridade tomato them are the craziest bushy long stem bastards i ever seen,had me out there pinching them bastards like i do my weed to keep them in the yard and away from my deer,i grow them for them anyway but i hand feed them to them for treats hahahh

DiverDown

DiverDown

i just harvested my last squash couple weeksago,i took the time to dig them out to see how many i had and to kill there ass so they wouldnt produce more,i dug 20 out of one plant,7 on another,16on last one,2 were at transformation time,the plant still grows but slow and as mentioned only droops when sun is out,in shade or close to dusk and dawn plants look beautiful even flowers open ,soon as the sun come out flowers closeup and even with hand pollinating they die,goggle squash vine boer worm ,nasty bastards,dont try to dig in the plant,you will feel were the worms have been and there right close to there shit,even if you cant dig it out the twisting will shred um,like i say i never seen it in pot but doesnt surprise me,any hollow stalk they get in and destroy the plant,i plant indoors and move my stuff outside as soon as i can because of them,they start showing up around mid april and august is there prime time,i think i read it takes 21 days to turn into moths,i got 2 sets in before they hit the third,when im eating a bunch of squash off plant all good,when i slow to about 3 squash a day off the one plant,it gets the axe and i replant,lost 2 stands of corn this year to corn ear worms,cobs were fine but ugly id you dig,presentation of corn with tops cutoff arent really appealing ,but i still give crap load away,same with tomato plants,rocking and rolling then notice leafs gone,bunch,in all that foilage you cant see there camoed ass,go out in the dark with flash light in hand and they cant hide no more,plant is darker,i pulled 46 tomato horn worms off one plant,next day i finished taking off foilage they didnt get to finish the tomato's,in 2 days they wiped out all but a 5 gal bucket full of loose leaves,i was okay with that too,most folks take all foilage away and grow shit out of them,these bastards were chewing the tomato and then they be gone,i put all them in a jar and let sit in the sun for a day,they melted to a brown slurry of stinky shit,i took the after math and feed it right back to the other tomato plant i had beside it,dont ever grow floridade tomato them are the craziest bushy long stem bastards i ever seen,had me out there pinching them bastards like i do my weed to keep them in the yard and away from my deer,i grow them for them anyway but i hand feed them to them for treats hahahh
You don't even try to use a home made bug killer? Spraying on the stalks only? Soap.? Mineral oil? Some also use capsaicin spice.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Food grade de earth, let the top of your soil dry, sprinkle the powder around your plant, leave for 72 hours give a light flush.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

You don't even try to use a home made bug killer? Spraying on the stalks only? Soap.? Mineral oil? Some also use capsaicin spice.
you can give a shot if you choice,ive dealt with them for so long and tried every thing,only thing that works is picking them off as soon as the turn orange,and those you miss,fish um out with wire,that it,i spray fungicide and insecticide on my corn at v4 and again at v6 just before tassle,it nips the corn worms in the bud,thats it,only spraying i do is with cold press neem in peak season on other plants and i only do that about every 2 weeks,neem oil is a fungicide dont know if you knew that but it is,from the veggie i grow there is a small window before foilage takes over were you cant spray,if you get the slightest bit on a flower it die's even pollinated flowers,so to keep from banging my head again a wall i double plant whats needed for the year and let the bugs have half,when they surpass there half then i cover flowers that i can get to with my hand and spray neem around it,i see it this way they got to eat too,they are main source for the food web to continue if you dig,i use my bottom garden as trap plants,they stay down the hill away from my container garden behind the house,most times,this year the tomato horn worms fooled me and came up to the good stuff,same as medicine they always looking for the good stuff hahahah,but answer is no i dont spray ,i dont like using chemicals i really try to stay organic all the way,like i said i plan ahead noing there coming and just double plant what i will need.
i have broke my whole bottom garden down ,rebuilding my raised bed boxs,my ground bed is level now and i got 4 ft of soil to build to fill in the back half of it,about 20 yrd worth ,so a hot summer it will be,i live on a rock literally and all my soil washes down the hill to neighbor yard,so im putting a stop to that,new fencing and shade cloth for privacy too,i have a bunch of lumber left over from a deck i built and all that is gonna be flower boxes for attractants for insect control all around edging of garden.were i live a millonaire would go broke trying to fend off bugs,then add all the snakes and scorpions and poisionus frogs,then when it does rain here i have about a 20 lb coon that crawls up a 10 ft fence up and over digs up my pepper bed for grubs haahha ,my world right lmao

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Food grade de earth, let the top of your soil dry, sprinkle the powder around your plant, leave for 72 hours give a light flush.
if your talking to me,de my bugs chew like tobacco,no shit,i put 50 lbs of it down there last month,snow in july all in walk ways around plants every were dont even face them ,understand,it does not rain here,rain is what comes out of your water hose,when it does rain it floods,last rain i got was 8 1/2 inches all in 10 minutes,wiped out about 1/4 acre of topsoil on the hill at my back yard,i cant even walk on it unless i wear shoes,just gone in a flash,i buy 50 lb sack from feed store for 18 bucks,waste of my money

Top Bottom