Building a grow house...

• Thread starter buffbuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
buffbuds

buffbuds

So I bought a house... it's pretty shitty, most of the plumbing was half assed, the electrical has been modified at least 3 times since 1960, and it has been a grow house before. SO... Basically, I need to totaly remodel the house, and I get to build the whole basement as a grow space... Happy Happy Joy Joy. The main room is a 45x13 monster... with easy access to the external (well, it will be external) breaker box and service line, as well as the airconditioner (s) I guess for now I am going to run 8K lights in flower, and like.. 2k in veg. (there is a separate 9x25 room for that as well). I dunno, just putting it out here for planning purposes. I already have a full fledged veg room brewing up clones mothers and ready to flower plants at my temporary spot, so thats all taken care of. I'm just going simple and doing hand watered canna coco in 15 gallon smart pots with full nutrients. Thinking vertically hung cool tubes with air cooling, a 2x4 grid of lights hung between the 3x5 grid of plants. I've come close to pound plants before, and that was with 600w horizontal reflector based lights. I am sure I can do it this time, got a great cut of Durban Poison I've run to amazing success, as well as a northern lights I am enjoying very much.

I plan on doubling this system in 3 months, and starting DD med buckets in there, while running the sure fire canna I've come to love, (don't put all your eggs in one basket).

So, I need a second service line put in, not gonna do that myself, but I could... Just gotta determine the maximum possible amperage that system would need to support itself. For now, I only need 80amps.. probably 100 after a bigger/second A/C, but I guess I should go HUGE or... well I'm already home, but I would do well to prepare for the future, so I'm not having contractors come in all the time and get jealous.

Other things... for my lights I will be using half of a CAP 16 site 80 amp control box, and I am going to pipe in nat gas for the co2 gen, with an all in one day/night sentinel co2 point set/environmental controller for that, and a bunch of 10" max fans. (got a nice air cooling system set uo through my adjoinging garage, so I'm gonna put the fans in the roof, so they are nice and quiet. Um... Thinking just painting the whole room white with Killz 2 paint, cause there was mould there before (of course I'm going to bleach and wash the whole place first.. but I'm hoping that white will be enough reflective for the purpose).

And.... Man I'm high. Thanks to reeferman's willie nelson. yay, good stuff.

Anyone been through this before? any things you regret not considering sooner? I've only been growing for 4 years (though from the begining it could have paid my living expenses, and this is now a full time profession), used industrial space before, I hate landlords so much.... not having long term security and certainty makes building these things such a pain!

Well, goonight farmers, stay classy

K

Kennie_B

Sounds like you gotta pretty good plan, I'm sure there will be plenty of advice before long! Happy growin bro!

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
buffbuds, It seems like you have a good handle on what you want to do. How many amps is your service? Are you going to eventually have a 18-20 watt setup? If so you will need your electric service upgraded to 300 amp. Where I am located, only one service for residential application is allowed. Maybe different where you are located. Good luck with your build.

buffbuds

buffbuds

ooooooh....... Well, I have crappy electric where I'm at the current box was all fucked up from the old illegaly run (pre meter) lines running other serivces in the house to further reduce the electric bill I guess., I wonder what the cap on residential houses is, amperage wise??? I think I could get away with a 200 amp box, and maybe run it off the main box rated at 300... I think??? Guess thats a good place to start looking! Gonna meet with an electrician soon though, we'll see what I can pull.....

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Big Electric Service

I have a 400 amp service in my house. It's 100% electric. No gas or city water. So if you are gonna remodel/rehab You will need that BIG service to run all your electrical appliances...... water heater, furnace, washer, dryer, cook top, double oven, central ac, hot tub, ect. :giggle You can alway's do your sub panel when the crowd disperses. :rock

S

strawD

if you use a flip flop controller, you could add 8k of lights without needing any addition amps for that. you would also offset your ac so you wouldnt have such a high peak, and could probably get by with a cheaper ac and draw less amps at peak.

S

strawD

all you'd need for your second panel would be a good res chiller, and pumps, fans, dehuey, maybe more ac.

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Flip flop or not, a new higher amp service will be necessary. A minimum of 100 amps dedicated for a grow of this size. Even with a 200 amp service this does not leave much left to run a modern day household.

S

sirsmokealot

I have ran 12K in lights plus a 5 ton ac, fans, 3 50pint dehueys, ect all on together, including my normal house usage on 100 amp service. Also had separate 4k flower room that flip flopped with the 10k side. Then the other 2k was veg room which also had a 8 bulb t5 and a 10k btu ac come to think of it.

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
I have ran 12K in lights plus a 5 ton ac, fans, 3 50pint dehueys, ect all on together, including my normal house usage on 100 amp service. Also had separate 4k flower room that flip flopped with the 10k side. Then the other 2k was veg room which also had a 8 bulb t5 and a 10k btu ac come to think of it.

Living dangerous bro. 12K lights at 220volt = 57Amps, 6 tons AC= at least 40Amps. 57+40= 97Amps. But hey, whatever work's for ya! :icon_stick man:

FLB

FLB

VERY DANGEROUS.....was your electrical box smoking?

H

HannaMan

Ofcourse it was, why do you think his name is sirsmokealot!

you're lucky to be alive, or atleast not in jail!

Be safe!
Peace!

S

sirsmokealot

no fires, the main feed lines coming into my sub panel were hot, but not burning. I actually was running the 2 veg 1k's off 120 and didn't balance the loads right so one leg was much hotter than the other. Never tripped a breaker or blew a transformer. Luckily nothing happened, but i did have a 125 amp main panel, so i wasn't too worried bout running close to 100 amps. And i did use a volt meter to check how many amps each leg was pulling

S

sirsmokealot

also when I tested to see what my 1k mag ballast were pulling with the volt meter it was much closer to 4 amps each, 4.5 at the most. Obviously they spike when they first come on so I only would turn 6 lights on then the other 4 would come on a few minutes later. Not trying to tell people to follow my footsteps, just that the guys who started this thread should have no problem running 8k setup with all the extras, including normal house usage.

Top Bottom