Building a grow room with some questions

• Thread starter SofaKingHigh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I was recently given a bunch of free plywood, so I decided to use it to build a grow room in my basement. I only had to put 2 walls up and they are nothing special. I’m now at the point where I have to decide what to put on the walls. I’m trying to keep it on the cheap side. So how dose white paint compare to panda film or poly ? Also I have a few shelves in the room, should they come out? Or will they be fine? I plan to get another light and possibly use the whole room or run my tent in the room and have plants in the tent and in the room. I don’t know if I’ll be able to have one in veg and one in flower. I do have a window in the room and I want to seal up any light leaks so I’m leaning more towards the panda film. What’s the cost to cove about a 10x12 room?

MeechDGAF

MeechDGAF

Paint with fungicide will be your best bet. Idk about your basement but mines damp and your plants are going to create lots of humidity. The space between your boards and panda film may sweat from the heat of your room and the cool walls creating a great place for mold. More work but youll be better off and happier with the outcome using paint. Gap filler is an easy fix for light leaks, that window may come in handy you can exhaust whatever there.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

I built a small grow room in my basement apartment, modified my window to vent a dual port AC out through, and used mold resistant primer and a bright white paint. Then used my two 3 X 3 tent frames and added all my equipment that I already had to them. I sealed around the door and now add CO2 to my grow space. You have a lot of room for upgrading and growth

20210420 151349
20200813 003608
20200813 003642
20210420 151554
20210923 200235
20210923 195817
Ponky

Ponky

If you must seal a room then use poly. Tape over the staples and seems. Buy the good thick stuff.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I built a small grow room in my basement apartment, modified my window to vent a dual port AC out through, and used mold resistant primer and a bright white paint. Then used my two 3 X 3 tent frames and added all my equipment that I already had to them. I sealed around the door and now add CO2 to my grow space. You have a lot of room for upgrading and growth
I like your window setup, that’s along the lines of what I was thinking of doing. I’m not to the point of using co2 but I like that option open for down the road.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Paint with fungicide will be your best bet. Idk about your basement but mines damp and your plants are going to create lots of humidity. The space between your boards and panda film may sweat from the heat of your room and the cool walls creating a great place for mold. More work but youll be better off and happier with the outcome using paint. Gap filler is an easy fix for light leaks, that window may come in handy you can exhaust whatever there.
I live in Colorado so not a lot of moisture here and my basement stays very dry. I only wish I had a drain down there

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

If you must seal a room then use poly. Tape over the staples and seems. Buy the good thick stuff.
I’m not planning on running co2 yet or anything my main concern was the spaces between the floor framing and where I have pre-existing wires pipes and ventilation so I can be sure of no light leaks from outside the room.

Ponky

Ponky

I’m not planning on running co2 yet or anything my main concern was the spaces between the floor framing and where I have pre-existing wires pipes and ventilation so I can be sure of no light leaks from outside the room.
It's mostly for keeping things clean and contained. Easy to clean mold.

MeechDGAF

MeechDGAF

I live in Colorado so not a lot of moisture here and my basement stays very dry. I only wish I had a drain down there
Nice, its so humid a lot of the year here in michigan. It looks like there were drain pipes in your room if they are your waste water you could pretty easily install a sump pump designed for a washer to a utilitub sink and youll have a drain. I also dont have a drain in my basement. I had a plumber do it for me and i watched looked very easy with the proper tools especially if you are skillful with tools. Also on the topic of paint Ive alway read ceiling flat white paint is the most reflective paint you can get i believe behr was the best choice but Im sure any ceiling flat white would do great. You probably dont need the fungicide treated paint but why not cover all the bases. Excited to see how your room turns out!

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Nice, its so humid a lot of the year here in michigan. It looks like there were drain pipes in your room if they are your waste water you could pretty easily install a sump pump designed for a washer to a utilitub sink and youll have a drain. I also dont have a drain in my basement. I had a plumber do it for me and i watched looked very easy with the proper tools especially if you are skillful with tools. Also on the topic of paint Ive alway read ceiling flat white paint is the most reflective paint you can get i believe behr was the best choice but Im sure any ceiling flat white would do great. You probably dont need the fungicide treated paint but why not cover all the bases. Excited to see how your room turns out!
I’m actually sitting at the grow store about to get panda film lol and you said exactly what I was thinking those are my waste water pipes in the room and someday I hope to do what you said.

Millwright

Millwright

I was recently given a bunch of free plywood, so I decided to use it to build a grow room in my basement. I only had to put 2 walls up and they are nothing special. I’m now at the point where I have to decide what to put on the walls. I’m trying to keep it on the cheap side. So how dose white paint compare to panda film or poly ? Also I have a few shelves in the room, should they come out? Or will they be fine? I plan to get another light and possibly use the whole room or run my tent in the room and have plants in the tent and in the room. I don’t know if I’ll be able to have one in veg and one in flower. I do have a window in the room and I want to seal up any light leaks so I’m leaning more towards the panda film. What’s the cost to cove about a 10x12 room?
View attachment 1192812
I had panda film, seemed to get “nasty” build up. Experimented with mirrors. Took it all down and painted walls flat white with killz. This is the first run in this configuration. Have some bell peppers growing in there as well, they seem to be loving it. 2 cannabis are just under 3 weeks and seem happy enough so far.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I had panda film, seemed to get “nasty” build up. Experimented with mirrors. Took it all down and painted walls flat white with killz. This is the first run in this configuration. Have some bell peppers growing in there as well, they seem to be loving it. 2 cannabis are just under 3 weeks and seem happy enough so far.
I would have gone the paint route but I had to seal up the light leaks and in the ceiling rafters.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i hate to break it tool you but i would apply a primer and a top coat of paint. This will ensure that the plywood won't get humid and create mold and Fungai.
You can then install the poly just to keep everything clean, but you do need to paint that plywood imho.

As long as no light leaks into the flower section you can have different setups done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom