Building A Room vs. Buying A Tent

• Thread starter naturalmedicine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

naturalmedicine

After a lot of consideration and going back and forth, I've come to the conclusion that constructing a room is a better idea than purchasing a tent. I am thinking of building a 10 X 10 room with 4K's in it. Nothing fancy, just a frame with plywood for walls. Is this smarter to do instead of buying a 10 X 10 tent? It should be sturdier and if my calculations are correct, it should be cheaper or close to the same amount, but better quality. This is going to be in a small warehouse. I don't have too much money, so I'm trying to figure out the best I can get for what I have. If I did have enough funds, Garden Of Dreams would be building my room. :)

Camdawg

Camdawg

2x2's and panda. you could insulate your walls if you want. you can build it exactly the way that works best for you. i gotta tent(cheap ebay) it leaks the vents are not were i want them.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yeah if your not in an apt or someplace building isnt a good option Id go ahead and build

in the long run it will be cheaper, better and how you want it

also most tents only have 6.5 - 7' ceiling

S

sfzoo

tents have the benefit of being able to breakdown and rebuild real quick.

But as said, building will give you the ability to customize.

I'd say they'd turn out to be the same price, or maybe more for building depending on how intricate things get.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Just built a very similar room (9.5x10), insulated it with r13 and 3/4 foam, used 2x4s ( could have got away with 2x2) and it came out to slightly more than a tent same size retail. Could have curt costs on things if u needed to but the goal was a sealed/with intake and exhaust room.
Just a Lil tip, for the door I used a full sheet of plywood(4x8) with 2 gate hinges and some weather stripping, simple easy and I can move plants in and out no problems.
Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Forgot to metion, I didn't build a floor because I'm on concrete. It is easier and cheaper.
Confu...

N

naturalmedicine

Just built a very similar room (9.5x10), insulated it with r13 and 3/4 foam, used 2x4s ( could have got away with 2x2) and it came out to slightly more than a tent same size retail. Could have curt costs on things if u needed to but the goal was a sealed/with intake and exhaust room.
Just a Lil tip, for the door I used a full sheet of plywood(4x8) with 2 gate hinges and some weather stripping, simple easy and I can move plants in and out no problems.
Confu...

Did you use plywood for the walls? How much does the R13 cost?

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

I use tents for one reason when the Land lady calls and says hey just wanted to pop in and check on the place... 1-1/2 hours later my grow is gone other than that rooms kick ass over tents any day. If u can build then build

N

naturehd

i didnt use plywood i used 1x2's, 1/4" wood screws with washers, gorilla tape, and panda. cost me 120 bucks and took most of the day and a good sketch to begin with. definately my best choice for me.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Did you use plywood for the walls? How much does the R13 cost?

yeah, i used osb plywood on the outside walls then r13 inbetween studs then 3/4 styrofoam sheets inside the room, very reflective. sealed the joints between the sheets of foam with reflective tape.
cant rwmwmber cost of r13 but buy it by the roll not precutt batts, its cheaper.

confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
btw dont use 1x2s if u gonna insulate with r11 or r13 u need the space inbetween the walls to get the full r value.
confu...

N

naturalmedicine

Ok. I'm going to build instead of purchasing a tent. There is already an office in there, and I think I may use that as the structure. The entry door from outside goes into the office, so I'm going to build a wall so that the room is blocked off. It's a bit smaller than I'd like, but it will allow me to still drive into the warehouse to load/unload.

TortureKill

TortureKill

However or whatever you decide to build, Never lose site of SECURITY! I seen you state your room will be in a small warehouse. Top priority, before even beginning construction should be SECURITY! I had this huge house all to myself in 2010. Noone lived here, and I was free to do as I pleased. I went right to work building a room and never got to security. Two months after investing all of the time, and resources into this space it was broken into, and I lost some of my male and female plants as a result

T

tomsawyer

I like R-max rigid insulation for rooms. I use the Thick stuff, 2", and use deck screws and foil tape to connect the panels. Almost don't need 2x4's unless for hanging heavy stuff

N

naturalmedicine

I understand what you mean about security. I'm always paranoid about who is watching and who knows or thinks they know something. Some people tell me I am overly cautious, but I don't think so. I try to be aware of my surroundings at all times. This warehouse does have me more paranoid than usual, being that it is not insulated like a house and the neighbors are closer. I'm going to do my best to go undetected and if something does not look right, I'm closing down shop and relocating immediately.

Top Bottom